Take that, Technics SP 10

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Really? Have you ever owned a Technics SP-10? Albert Porter owned the Walker turntable and sold it because he thought the SP-10/SME-312S was a better sounding combo for far less money. It was because of Albert that I took the plunge and bought both the Technics SP-10 MKII and the SME 312S.

Not heard the SP-10 or the New Walker for that matter but at $89,500 one can build a serious system that would include the SP-10 with theSME 312 and serious preamp and serious amps and a serious R2R that would wipe the floor with the Walker (or any TT for that matter) and a serious digital front end .. One could get even shoehorn a pair of SOTA spekaer and build 3 superlative DIY subwoofers to help it in the bass!! Heck one could get very, dangerously close to a SOTA system ..:)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Really? Have you ever owned a Technics SP-10? Albert Porter owned the Walker turntable and sold it because he thought the SP-10/SME-312S was a better sounding combo for far less money. It was because of Albert that I took the plunge and bought both the Technics SP-10 MKII and the SME 312S.

No I have not heard the SP10/SME 312 . What cart do you use? At one while the SP 10 was ubiquitous in high end systems with its own arm. I am reasonably sure Lloyd had Albert in his sights when he made the upgrade. I look forward to the inevitable showdown. Maybe at Alberts' place. Possibly with you there?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Not heard the SP-10 or the New Walker for that matter but at $89,500 one can build a serious system that would include the SP-10 with theSME 312 and serious preamp and serious amps and a serious R2R that would wipe the floor with the Walker (or any TT for that matter) and a serious digital front end .. One could get even shoehorn a pair of SOTA spekaer and build 3 superlative DIY subwoofers to help it in the bass!! Heck one could get very, dangerously close to a SOTA system ..:)

R2R mop the floor with the Walker? That's a challenge that I liked to hear.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
No I have not heard the SP10/SME 312 . What cart do you use? At one while the SP 10 was ubiquitous in high end systems with its own arm. I am reasonably sure Lloyd had Albert in his sights when he made the upgrade. I look forward to the inevitable showdown. Maybe at Alberts' place. Possibly with you there?

Benz Glider SL. Why would Loyd have Albert in his sights?? If true, that speaks volumes about how good the SP-10/SME 312S combo is. How are you going to do a showdown at Albert's place? He no longer owns the Walker table. And no, I won't be there.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com

Greg,

Roger Gordon of Positive Feedback at RMAF 2006 preferred the performance of the Teres 450 Turntable (I own the 3rd made) to the $30,000+ Walker Proscenium Gold Signature Turntable:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue27/rmafrg.htm

Since we have substituted the Marigo Mystery Feet under my Teres Certus 450 from the time of my purchase (2009) the performance of the turntable has improved dramatically so much so that it led in part to the discontinuation of the Teres 460. Even with this performance and the new Teres Illius tonearm I fully expect that my hybrid upgraded Ampex 440 C/B R2R tape deck in most cases will eclipse the performance of my Teres.

Rich

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Ummmmmm.......take the master and play the LP. Take even a second or third gen 15 ips copy against the LP. Still no contest. R2R wins hands down. There is just a sense of ease, bottom end extension and dynamics (I think that even with today's best efforts, a lot of low end is still left in the cutting room), transparency, resolution and detail, etc. that even the best table will never equal.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Benz Glider SL. Why would Loyd have Albert in his sights?? If true, that speaks volumes about how good the SP-10/SME 312S combo is. How are you going to do a showdown at Albert's place? He no longer owns the Walker table. And no, I won't be there.

Don't take me so literally.
I discussed it with Albert on Audiogon when he replaced his Walker with the SP-10. So the comparison is all mine.
My discussion on Audiogon:
11-30-08: Gregadd
"Enquiring" minds want to know?
Did Albert dish the Walker for the SP-10 SME combo?
Is the SP-10 better than the Walker?
Or is the SP10 /SME just a better match for the Airtight Supreme.
Is he just waiting for a delivery from down under for a table that Mikeys' wife thinks is better than sex?

Just curious.
Gregadd (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

11-30-08: Fcrowder
While I feel that Albert is the right person to speak to your questions, I can say that the Walker is gone and that a table from downunder does not appear to be in Albert's future. On a related note, it is clear, at least to me, that the plinth which Albert designed for his SP-10 does an extremely effective job of handling noise generated by the direct drive motor and noise feeding back from the environment.
Fcrowder (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

11-30-08: Albertporter
I can say that the Walker is gone and that a table from downunder does not appear to be in Albert's future. On a related note, it is clear, at least to me, that the plinth which Albert designed for his SP-10 does an extremely effective job of handling noise generated by the direct drive motor and noise feeding back from the environment.
Fred is correct, I sold my Walker and have no intention of purchasing a Continuum, although it was considered as an option.

Although I've only recently posted my decision, testing has been ongoing for 21 months. Nine others who heard the comparison bought this plinth plus MK2 or MK3.

Each person put their completed Technics in place and compared with their reference turntable and arm.

This resulted in the sale of two Walkers (w/Black Diamond arms), a Kuzma Stabi XL with Air Line arm, a VPI TNT with 12" JM arm, a Basis with Graham arm and a Raven.

For this many people to agree on this change means it's an excellent combination. Comparing with less quality plinth or tonearm will not provide the results I'm describing . Equally important is matching tone arm mass to cartridge and the best tonearm cable you can afford.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ummmmmm.......take the master and play the LP. Take even a second or third gen 15 ips copy against the LP. Still no contest. R2R wins hands down. There is just a sense of ease, bottom end extension and dynamics (I think that even with today's best efforts, a lot of low end is still left in the cutting room), transparency, resolution and detail, etc. that even the best table will never equal.

While I have been impressed with the clean sound of R2R, the lack of mainstream software leaves me tepid. I would love to hear a first generation pressing vs the mastertape.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
While I have been impressed with the clean sound of R2R, the lack of mainstream software leaves me tepid. I would love to hear a first generation pressing vs the mastertape.

No contest there Greg. All things being equal, master wins. Biggest tipoff often is in the punchiness of the bass. Perhaps others can comment on the hiss issue but I don't find it a problem.

And hang on. Hopefully some bigger things are in the works. And BTW, the new Series 3 Tape Project releases are going to be very special--great picks for some jazz and rock releases! This might be the first series where I buy all ten tapes. The cuts that I've heard from the Oliver Nelson and Nat Adderly are to die for! Don't forget the soon to be released Jimmy Smith, the last of the Series 2 releases. And sure rock afficianados will like the CCR.

http://www.tapeproject.com/catalog/catalog.htm

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
RtoR is most definitely the ultimate analog format. There doesn't seem to be a real debate about that, except, perhaps Direct to Disc vinyl, which might have an edge, but is "unmasterable" and only can go ten to twenty minutes per side. If you wanted to compare an LP format that stood a chance, it would have to be Direct Disc LP vs. RtoR with a high end turntable.

However, I could never accumulate 2000 tapes of the general, AVERAGE high quality of my LPs, and it still amazes me that I can go to a thrift, and for 50c to a dollar, take home a plastic disc with grooves that becomes an exotic, enveloping experience.

RtoR is the Havana Cigar of analog/audio, but I have no plans to acquire a RtoR again.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
RtoR is most definitely the ultimate analog format. There doesn't seem to be a real debate about that, except, perhaps Direct to Disc vinyl, which might have an edge, but is "unmasterable" and only can go ten to twenty minutes per side. If you wanted to compare an LP format that stood a chance, it would have to be Direct Disc LP vs. RtoR with a high end turntable.

However, I could never accumulate 2000 tapes of the general, AVERAGE high quality of my LPs, and it still amazes me that I can go to a thrift, and for 50c to a dollar, take home a plastic disc with grooves that becomes an exotic, enveloping experience.

RtoR is the Havana Cigar of analog/audio, but I have no plans to acquire a RtoR again.

Never say never Carl. I said that for years and I'm hooked now. Rather own one Armani suit than five average designers :)

And yes, you're right about D2D.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
It might be fun to "borrow" or rent one for a while with a few tapes. I also would have to watch the steam emanating from WAF if she ever saw such a beast in my listening room.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
+1 Myles

I haven't had that many OMG experiences relative to audio...elsewhere, hehe ---
The Hill Plasmatronics was one of them...the other -- analog tape :p

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I haven't had that many OMG experiences relative to audio...elsewhere, hehe ---
The Hill Plasmatronics was one of them...the other -- analog tape :p

Interestingly, brought up that question of being able to transfer and retain that bottom end present on the master tape to the lacquer with Chad yesterday :) Chad said to to listen to the new releases coming out of his QRP facility esp. the forthcoming Tony Joe White album.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing