Mark Levinson 532H Stereo/Mutli-channel amplifier review

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Good subjective review: http://hometheaterreview.com/mark-levinson-no-532h-two-channel-amplifier-reviewed/

One of the things it doesn't mention is that this by far the most reliable amp Mark Levinson has ever built. Out of thousands of channels chipped, they tell me the number coming back as broken is a handful.

As the review says, if you have very inefficient speaker sand you like things loud, this amp will gently run out of juice. This happens with the last 6 db of so I push our Revel Salon 2s. Otherwise, it is extremely competent amplifier, holding its own against its much more expensive brothers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Good subjective review? I would rather say excellent subjective review - the author even says that under adequate conditions he prefers this type of sound to the more expensive cousins.

Do you share his view about warmup time? My old ML23.5 and the ML20.5s really needed a long warmup time, but I would expect a modern design amplifier to warmup faster.

BTW, I suppose you must push the Salons 2s very, very loud to have trouble with a 300W amplifier!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have not tried to compare ours with differing temps. If it requires warm time, it is minimal.

Our Salon2s are in a big showroom so likely require more power than in typical home setting. That, or I am continuing to go deaf. :D

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Nice to see good price and performance from Mark Levinson audio these days, I have read some reviews about the 326s preamp, which also was very well received and has pretty impressive performance.
I think it is a similar price, so they are challenging in a nice price market IMO when also considering the brand and performance of these two products.
I must admit I am surprised there has not been much more comments about the preamp both on the web and most audio publications, anyway seems these two are well matched.

Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Good to hear as it is meant to be a stunning preamp, and reviewer thought it well priced for its performance.
But honestly I thought it would had been reviewed much more than it has.
Cheers
Orb

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Amir,

How would you characterize the sound of the 531H/532H amps, especially in the trable? Warm and musical or neutral to lean? Thanks!

Joe

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing