Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW what great seat! How did it sound.

Rob:)

You mean other than extraordinarily glorious? :) Seriously though, Symphony Hall is acoustically rated up there in the top five halls (e.g. read this), and I suggest you take every chance you get to attend a concert. The seat happens to be a few rows below Ozawa's alleged favorite (last row, is what I have been told). Karajan claimed it may even be better than the top Musikverein (see wikipedia).

Last edited:
Two Fiddles in 7 days

I had an enjoyable week a few days ago.

Ended up enjoying two fiddles in seven days...

Midori and the CSO performing Beethoven's Violin Concerto. At the same concert I was treated to Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique! All of this in my normal seats in row 9 on the orchestra level in Music Hall.

Seven days later I had the pleasure of seeing Alison Krauss and Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas perform a boat load of songs - both mic'd and acapella on a single microphone shared by all.

I think I had my fiddle fix for the year. :)

Dre

Recently caught Galactic with Corey Glover (previously with Living Colour) at Showbox SODO:

Orgone was the opening act:

B.B. King was the last concert I attended, but I have tickets for a couple of upcoming concerts by people I haven't seen before. Hopefully, they will be fun.

So...
No tattoos, jazdoc? Maybe you could get a stethoscope tat around your neck and going down your chest. That would be different. You might even gather a new following altogether in your practice! Me? I'm think about having one arm covered with a Western Electric schematic and the other covered with linkage, gears and idler wheels. Whataya think? ;)

Win

Went to a local establishment and heard Charlie Loesel perform an excellent acoustic set:

You can check out samples at:http://www.charlieloesel.com/listen.html

I agree. Fagan toured with Scaggs and McDonald last year. Can't remember the name of the tour. It'll come to me later I'm sure.

The Dukes of September Rythym Review. They're playing at the same Amphitheater this July that SD played last summer. This time my tickets are in row 5. Looking forward to it. We rented an awesome penthouse condo for the weekend so if the weather holds is should be a real treat.

We went to the newly re-opened Bake's Place in Bellevue to hear Jovino Santos Neto. Our own Bruce Brown has mastered one of his CDs. He is an ebullient, talented artist and his band is worthy of his talent.

BTW, Bake's new venue is terrific; very comfortable with very good acoustics and the food is much improved.

Peter Himmelman at the Tin Angel in Phila. Amazing singer-songwriter who never disappoints.

Bruce in PA

Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers at Ravinia (Chicago's northern suburbs)

Good music and very funny comments from him. He introduced one song with the title "My Masseuse is too Chatty.":D"

Roger Waters "The Wall" 6-28-12 Albany, NY... Impressive show. Roger still has alot of energy on stage.

I remember my uncle buying me this record back in the early 80s. I'm not sure whether or not I was more amazed by the recording or his generosity (archetypal Scotsman).

Did they have the wall on the stage, with all the animation?

Justin Townes Earle at the Roswell (GA) Cultural Arts Center. Amazing talent.

Now watching Stop Making Sense on DVD but I attended the concert in the early 80s when they came to my college UVA.

Heard a local kid performing solo with just an acoustic guitar and doing some Bob Dylan, James Taylor and Cat Stevens covers at a local ribfest two weeks ago. I really enjoyed listening to him and shook his hand afterwards to say how much I enjoyed his playing and singing. He thanked me and said...this was the first time he was paid for a gig.

Roger Waters "The Wall" 6-28-12 Albany, NY... Impressive show. Roger still has alot of energy on stage.

I've been yesterday to listen to him at the Yankee Stadium, after being at the shows at the Madison Square Garden. Fantastic! Somehow, the scenario in an open stadium made it even more engaging.
My girlfriend, who's not a PF fan, told me "this is better than the U2 concert!". That's a huge approval :)
I'd like to post some photos she took, but I don't know how to do it... :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing