Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Steely Dan, Shuffle Diplomacy Twenty Eleven, at The Wharf in Orange Beach in late August. It was a fantasic show. Makes me wish I would have been able to catch the weeks acts at the BeaconTheater in NYC in September.

Steely Dan, Shuffle Diplomacy Twenty Eleven, at The Wharf in Orange Beach in late August. It was a fantasic show. Makes me wish I would have been able to catch the weeks acts at the BeaconTheater in NYC in September.

One of my favorite live records is The New York Rock and Soul Review at the Beacon Theater. It's basically the Dan with a bunch of guests like Phoebe Snow, Michael McDonald, Boz Scaggs. Wonderful performances, good live recording, great songs. Music like this is why we care about audio.

Tim

One of my favorite live records is The New York Rock and Soul Review at the Beacon Theater. It's basically the Dan with a bunch of guests like Phoebe Snow, Michael McDonald, Boz Scaggs. Wonderful performances, good live recording, great songs. Music like this is why we care about audio.

Tim

I agree. Fagan toured with Scaggs and McDonald last year. Can't remember the name of the tour. It'll come to me later I'm sure.

Took my son to the Triple Door to hear the Garfield High School Jazz band with Wessel "Warm Daddy" Anderson. Hard to bellieve that these kids are my son's age. They sound like professionals and they kept coming on the stage in waves!!

Garfield is one of the nation's best high school jazz programs with multiple appearances and wins at the annual Ellington Competition, the premiere high school jazz competition in the country.

http://www.garfieldjazz.org/

I went to this last Saturday.
Mavis Staples,
Joss Stone,
Paul Dempsey,
Emmanuel Jal,
John Schumann,
special guest artist Rickie Lee Jones.
The Black Arm Band including Archie Roach, Lou Bennett, Shane Howard, Emma Donovan, Shellie Morris, Mark Atkins
and other special guests.

Too many highlights but the standout must have been Rickie Lee Jones, Mavis Staples and Joss Stone belting out ACDC's "It's a long way to the top".

I'd never seen Mavis Staples live before... all I can say is wow! What a brilliant singer and what presence. Best gig I've been to in a long time

Went to the Showbox last night and caught Sharon Jones and the DapKings. Great show!

Edit: Found a video that gives you a flavor...

Last edited:
Sting's "Back to Bass" show in NYC was pretty awesome! His voice is still amazing...
It was worth to skip the Spectral demo at Innovative AV in favor of this concert!! ;-)

Went to the Tractor Tavern last night with a buddy and caught Bobby Previte (d) with Skerik (sax/keyboards), Andy Coe (g) and Evan Flory-Barnes (b). They played 2 hours straight. Skerik had a great comment "Improvisation is composition speeded up and composition is improvisation slowed down". They are playing an homage to Miles Davis' "In A Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew" at another local venue tonight.

Took my son to Jazz Alley to hear the legendary Benny Golson perform. Great quartet with Ray Drummond (b), Jason Marsalis (d) and Sharp Radway (p). Golson told some great stories about growing up in Philadelphia and learning saxophone with John Coltrane in his parents living room! Afterwards, he even autographed an album for my son ("New York Scene" Contemporary 1958). Golson is a prolific writer and performer known for his work with Art Farmer in the Jazztet and for such standards as "I Remember Clifford", "Whisper Not" and "Along Came Betty"

I hadn't heard the pianist, Sharp Radway and he was a real treat. His first CD is coming out in a month and you can hear clips on his website: http://web.mac.com/sharpmusic7/iWeb/Site/Sharp%20Radway%20Homepage.html

This has been a little while. Jerry Douglas in a small venue, the Bijou here in Knoxville. A great concert. Tickets about $29 each and I could have tossed a piece of paper at him and landed it.

The only problem was that it was too loud. No one needs to amplify Bluegrass in a theater with 600 seats.

My wife and I went to the Showbox on Saturday night and caught George Clinton/Funkadelic. They played all the old hits and put on a great show but Clinton's voice is only a hoarse shell of it's former glory. The people watching was worth the price of admission ;)

Great to hear the music...

Bring The Funk:

Atomic Dog:
Yup, that's what Snoop Dog sampled.

Flashlight:

I saw The Wall and agree completely

do you have any of the live concert performance recordings ? I do. My buddy taped the 10-8-2010 Buffalo Wall concert in front of the sound board 24 bit/96 Hz with Schoeps MK4 cardiod mics. PM me you mailing address and I will burn the files to DVD if you like.

The wife and I just got back from Jazz Alley for Hiromi's show to promote her latest album Voice - with bassist Anthony Jackson and drummer Simon Phillips. I have a few of her previous albums, and just got her latest tonight and got it autographed.

She's a fabulous pianist with huge energy - post-bop with J-pop and rock influences.

I will be attending the Brahms German Requiem April 5 at Boston Symphony Hall... anyone else around here going?

This intentionally large photo is a tribute to the immense chorus performance last night, led by von Dohnanyi - I was lucky to get my favorite seat, 20C, smack down the middle, second balcony, wide open space...

Attachments

• bso-brahms..jpg
    bso-brahms..jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 116

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing