Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My son and I went to St. Petersburg this past weekend to see Steven Wilson at the State Theater. It was the best show we have seen on the Hnd Cannot Erase tour - and that's saying a lot! Not in love with the venue, although the surround area is very cool. But wow did Steven and company put on a SHOW. John Wesley's opening act was also excellent, and if I have one regret on the night, it's that John didn't join Steven for a song or two later. But Steven's performance was somehow even better than the prior two legs of this tour. I don't know how he does it. They must have performed this show over a hundred times by now. And yet this was the most powerful, dynamic performance yet. Just awesome.

Last night I checked one off the concert bucket list. 5th row tickets for Seu Jorge doing Bowie covers. Here is a taste...

Seu Jorge.jpg

Seu Jorge 2.jpg

Last edited:
Been to quite a few concerts while the home construction has been winding down. Here is the latest, Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock at The Bluenote, NYC. IMG_0310.JPG

My amazing wife got me for Christmas tickets to the Stevie Nicks concert at the Forum in Inglewood tonight.

The Pretenders opened for Stevie and Chrissie Hynde was great!

We are presently waiting for Stevie to come onstage . . . .

Stevie opened with "If Anyone Falls" and "Gypsy," continued with "Stand Back" and "Edge of Seventeen," and ended with "Rhiannon" and "Landslide."

She spent quite a bit of time talking about Prince, and singing songs which never made it to her solo albums.

Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles

Schubert Symph. / Mahler Songs
8 & 9 • Wunderhorn
Los Angeles Philharmonic

image.jpg

I think the acoustics seemed to be fantastic at this venue. Is Walt Disney Concert Hall known for having great acoustics?

Nice programme. I have seen the 8 th (unfinished), and the 9 th I saw at Sheldonian which is my favorite concert hall and that was one of the best I saw. Wunderhorn is great vocals too.

Nice programme. I have seen the 8 th (unfinished), and the 9 th I saw at Sheldonian which is my favorite concert hall and that was one of the best I saw. Wunderhorn is great vocals too.

We both really liked Schubert Symphony No. 9.

Can someone please recommend a couple of the best-recorded performances of that symphony on audiophile LP (45 rpm? direct-to-disk?) and tape?

Last night I went to see King Crimson at the Chicago Theater. I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I came in with fairly lofty expectations, as I am a King Crimson fan going on 4 decades, but Fripp and company managed to handily exceed my expectations. This incarnation of King Crimson is talented, powerful, and cohesive.

Fripp played some just epic guitar solos, but his subtle playing in many songs is what makes him such an amazing talent, IMO. Mel Collins was superb playing wind instruments of all sorts. Tony Levin - he is just a monster on bass and stick.

All three of the drummers were good, but Gavin Harrison did stand out to me as being especially so. The three drummers were up front on stage and I was initially a little worried about that, but they didn't overpower the other five.

And the real surprise of the night for me was Jakko Jakszyk. I hadn't loved what I had heard in terms of his vocals on live recordings from him from a few years ago - but I thought his vocals were terrific. Not just good enough, but highly enjoyable and actually an enhancement to the overall performance. He is a talented guitar player as well.

Set list below. Highlights...well that's tough because the whole show was so good. But if pressed...Cirkus, Fallen Angel, Islands, The Letters, and Starless. Just a great, great show, and so glad I was finally able to see them.

King Crimson - Chicago Theater, June 28, 2017

Set 1:

Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One
Neurotica
Radical Action III
Cirkus
Lizard (part '(c) The Battle of Glass Tears' only)
Fallen Angel
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two
Islands

Set 2:

Pictures of a City
Indiscipline
The ConstruKction of Light
Easy Money
The Letters
Interlude
Meltdown
Radical Action II
Level Five
Starless

Encore:

Heroes (David Bowie cover)
21st Century Schizoid Man

I'm a huge Lady Gaga fan and for Father's day my wife got us excellent seats for last night's Lady Gaga Joanne World Tour at the LA Forum

Show was scheduled to start at 7:30 but the concert didn't start until 9:15

It was worth the wait

No matter whether you like her or not, what a set of pipes she has. She has a powerful voice and along with playing the piano and guitar and dancing most of the night she didn't even break a sweat.

She showed a very personal side of her last night as Joanne was her paternal aunt who died of Lupus in 1974. I wasn't familiar with any of the songs from the new album. They are vastly different than her classic favorites which she also sang

My favorite last night was The Edge Of Glory which she wrote for her dying grandfather who was in hospice care

The dancers were terrific

The sound was explosive and I would bet was well over 120Db for most of the night. I forgot my ear plugs.

The staging was also well done except the lighting on the stage behind her was at times so bright that it made her difficult to see

The stage itself was 4-5 pods that she entertained from with an overhead bridge that dropped from above to allow her and the dancers to go from one to the other

I noticed that like Madonna, who I also have seen in concert, Lady Gaga has a huge LGBT following

All in all this is one concert worth seeing

If it is coming to your area, don't miss it

IMO she is really that good (sorry mauiden, but yes she is ;))

Should have placed this earlier.
7/22
Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters
Tupelo Music Hall, Londonderry, NH

Very fine blues group. Top shelf but I am bias.

Just attended a concert last month. Got front row tickets to:

Don Felder (Eagles)
REO Speedwagon
Styx

The sound didn't suck and with Don Felder opening up everything it was just like going to an Eagles concert!!

I finally got to see Rodrigo y Gabriella live at the Boulder Theater! The show was great but the ventilation was inadequate and they removed every single chair so lots of people were getting hot and fatigued near the end. IDK why shows have to be like this, often venues seem like they want to torture their customers...

Michael Franti at Red Rocks ampitheater in CO -- has to be one of the world's great physical venues. Fantastic show.

Roger Waters 'Us and Them' show at Prudential Center in Newark. An amazing A/V production -- the creative and logistical coordination of it all is impressive. Pru has really good acoustics for an indoor stadium venue too, much better than Madison Sq. Garden for example.

Will be seeing Kurt Vile/Courtney Barnett at the Beacon in NYC in early Nov., looking forward to that.

I saw Dead&Co. in June and 3 Chamber Music concerts playing Schubert, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky in August.(chamber music society of lincoln center)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing