Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The month of March was very rich in music for us in Berkeley. 10 concerts in the month, including the very end of February. It begun with Yo-Yo Ma and Manny Ax playing Brahms, continued with Jordi Savall and his group playing viols and other ancient instruments, then 3 concerts with the Vienna Philharmonic with Lorin Maazel and Andris Nelsons - soon to be music director of the Boston SO conducting, the Jerusalem String Quartet playing Shostakovich, two concerts with the Takacs Quartet playing the complete Bartok Quartets, Mitsuko Uchida playing Schubert and Beethoven Diabelli Variations, and finally Alte Musik Berlin playing Bach family concerti. We usually don't get quite this density of great performers in one month, but it was spectacular.

One very special treat was that the Takacs gave a 90 minute demonstration lecture to about 40 invited people about the Bartok and how they play the different quartets. At the end we got to ask questions and I found out that they don't play much Shostakovich, because they are asked to play Bartok so often. They also have the cello sit inside the viola and have switched that about five times in their history. The cellist said he actually did some experiments with the sound quality with recording equipment at the University of Colorado where they are resident and found the inside position was much better, facing the audience more directly. The violist, who is an old friend of ours from the SF Symphony, Gerry Walther, said that she will open up, that is turn to her left, so her instrument faces the audience more when she has a solo. We got to talk to her after the lecture and she introduced the other members of the quartet to us. Very friendly and nice people.

Larry

Enjoyed the Dum Dum Girls with Blouse opening at Neumos.

Last three:

Kronos Quartet and friends 40th Anniversary Concert at Carnegie Hall (one "friend" that wanted to hear was Wu Mann and she didn't disappoint! Kavi really captured the sound of her pipa)

Orpheus Chamber Orchestra at Carnegie Hall doing an all-Hungarian program featuring Kodalyi, Bartok and Joachim. Christian Tetzlaff was amazing performing Joseph Joachim's Violin Concerto in D Minor!

George Coleman Quartet with Harold Mabern on piano playing at the 15th anniversary of Smoke.

Last three:

Kronos Quartet and friends 40th Anniversary Concert at Carnegie Hall (one "friend" that wanted to hear was Wu Mann and she didn't disappoint! Kavi really captured the sound of her pipa)

Orpheus Chamber Orchestra at Carnegie Hall doing an all-Hungarian program featuring Kodalyi, Bartok and Joachim. Christian Tetzlaff was amazing performing Joseph Joachim's Violin Concerto in D Minor!

George Coleman Quartet with Harold Mabern on piano playing at the 15th anniversary of Smoke.

Myles --

Clearly we run in different social circles :D

But I bet none of your performers would top Dee Dee in a fishnet top with pasties, black leather shorts and heels....or as the lovely Mrs. Jazdoc sarcastically noted "Now I know why you wanted to see this concert!"

I had another wonderful evening this past Saturday April 12th with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra featuring guest Violinist Augustin Hadelich.

I added two seats to my subscription and took three Audiophile/Music loving friends with me this time. One of them had never been inside Music Hall and it had been maybe 25 years for one of the others. I think I took them to the ultimate listening session. :)

Guest Conductor: Juanjo Mena
Featured Performer: Augustin Hadelich (MENDELSSOHN: Violin Concerto)

The program for this performance was:

PIERNE: Overture to Ramuntcho
MENDELSSOHN: Violin Concerto
GINASTERA: Panambí

Content comments from website:
Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto is always an audience favorite, especially in the hands of artist-in-residence Augustin Hadelich, a rising star whose recent performance of this work were deemed “a compelling interpretation that effortlessly and naturally combines fiery passion, sensual sound and virtuosic elegance.” Juanjo Mena, who blew audiences away in his CSO debut in 2012, completes the experience with a propulsive, dance-like program including Ginastera’s thrilling Panambí, which the composer derived from the native music of his home country of Argentina and which strongly evokes Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring.
Augustin Hadelich played the snot out of Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto. Can I say that? Oh well, the young man can play.

Dre

Last edited:
Bruce Cockburn was our introduction to The Coach House...I had no idea it was relatively close in proximity and had such great artists :p
There were Rickie Lee Jones bids at our table beckoning ;)

The best I have heard is Eric Clapton with Steve Winwood at Royal Albert Hall. Recently I saw the Classical Spectacular at the same venue, with the Royal Philharmonic, where they ran through various classical pieces and had cannons for Tchaikovsky's 1812, and for Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance, the whole audience was singing along with the huge choir. Got an encore immediately after and at the end of the show.

Also watched La Boheme and Rigoletto recently, and for Londoners a good venue for concerts is the small church, St. Martins at Leicester/trafalgar square. Nice small venue with good acoustics, and small bands playing classical on a regular basis, pretty cheap, you can go in and sit in whenever you have an evening free

Last edited:
St, Martins in the Field at Trafalgar Square has superb classical performances. It is a must do whenever my wife and I are in London. We have seen quite a few there and will be attending a Mozart performance in August. I attended a night of Mozart and Beethoven the night the Stones were at Hyde Park. Superb. One incredible night was New Years Day 2013. I attended a match at White Hart Lane and then picked up the wife for the concert at night, which concluded with Beethoven's 9th with a full chorus. Glorious. They also have Jazz at the Crypt under the church on Wednesday nights which can be excellent as well. For Jazz, there is also the Pizza Express Jazz club.

I had another wonderful evening this past Saturday May 3rd with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra featuring guest Violinist Nicola Benedetti.

Guest Conductor: James Gaffigan
Featured Performer: Nicola Benedetti (BRUCH: Scottish Fantasy)
Guest Vignette : CCM Drama Department (PROKOFIEV: Suite from Romeo and Juliet)

The program for this performance was:

BERLIOZ: King Lear Overture
BRUCH: Scottish Fantasy
PROKOFIEV: Suite from Romeo and Juliet

Content comments from website:
Nicola Benedetti, the 20-something Scottish sensation of Italian heritage, plays Bruch’s delightful fantasy on Scottish folk tunes, music that will leave you humming tunes like “Scots Wha Hae” (which once served as the unofficial national anthem of Scotland), “Auld Rob Morris” and “The Dusty Miller.” The rising young conductor James Gaffigan returns by popular demand to conduct two works inspired by the Bard, as part of the CSO’s Shakespeare for your Ear focus throughout the Masterworks Series. Our star-crossed lovers, Romeo and Juliet, are brought to life in dramatic vignettes by the CCM Drama Department.
Dre

Just got home from an absolutely spectacular, once in lifetime concert. Trio Brasilleiro accompanied by Jovino Santos Neto and Anat Cohen. I was reminded of Mike Marshall's liner notes to to the effect, that your favorite choro tune is the last one you've heard...until you hear the next one. :D

Last edited:
After watching many live bands and classical concerts, the best I saw was last Saturday - Hats off to Led Zeppelin, a tribute band, obviously, and I am a crazed Zep fan, of course - but saw them at the Wimbledon Theatre, poor acoustics, and this was still awesome. They had superbley integrated Zep's live performances in their songs. They had the whole audience clapping and stomping on Bron-y-aur Stomp. Excellent guitarist and vocalist. Since I have been loving you had a phenomenal vocal performance, No Quarter was amazingly haunting, and Rain Song, Ramble On, were brilliant as well. They played loads.

The funny thing with this country is that even for a Zep show they clap politely at the end of every song as if they are watching Wimbledon. I was screaming along with Immigrant Song loudly when the guys in front of me gave me a look that said "Come Come old chap one musn't stand in one's chair and cheer wildy thus"

This is a Zep show, not the Royal Opera House!

Nickel Creek / The Secret Sisters

Tuesday Night came and went with a wonderful evening of live music.

This time it was Nickel Creek with The Secret Sisters as the opening act performed at the 2500 seat Taft Theater in downtown Cincinnati.

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing