Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been going to musicals lately. Some really excellent productions in small intimate theatres here in the Seattle area.

Little Shop of Horrors at the ACT - Falls Theatre in Seattle
La Cage aux Folles at the Second Storey Rep in Redmond
Funny Girl at the Village Theatre in Issaquah

I saw Primus last night at the Capitol theater in Port Chest NY. they put on a hell of a show. Great sound and performance. I thought they might be too old to be convincing, but they were as tight as I have ever heard them. I highly recommend checking them out.

Vampire Weekend with Cults opening up at Red Hat Raleigh Amphitheater.. Cults were pretty good B- but enjoyable. Vampire Weekend was superb, definitely an A. Anyone saying no good new music out there right now needs to give this band a listen. They ripped thru a 1 1/2 hour set with a great song list. Only one problem- too many friggin people talking LOUDLY all during the sets. I don't understand some of these concert goers. If we talked like that in the old days during a concert, we'd be thrown out by other listeners. Between the loud talking, and so many people trying to selfie themselves at the concert, was a little bit "disconcerting" to say the least. Music was great though!!

I saw After Midnight (Broadway's Cotton Club Musical) on Tuesday June 24th at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre on 256 West 47th St. in Manhattan, NYC.

The performance was outstanding all around. Tony award winning dancing, great singing, and excellent music. Of special note was the singing of Carmen Ruby Floyd and performance of Jennifer Vincent on bass with The Jazz At Lincoln Center All-Stars.

Quote from the website
Welcome back to that electrifying time when The Cotton Club was the place to be. Winner of the Tony®, Drama Desk, Outer Critics Circle and Astaire Awards for Best Choreography, AFTER MIDNIGHT is the smash-hit musical that combines the big-band songs of Duke Ellington and the best dancing on Broadway! A stageful of New York’s most celebrated singers, dancers and tappers joins forces with The Jazz at Lincoln Center All-Stars, a 17-piece big band created by jazz great Wynton Marsalis. It’s a glamorous, joy-making, high-energy celebration of Harlem’s legendary Cotton Club… and it’s all in AFTER MIDNIGHT. New York Magazine calls it “THE #1 BROADWAY MUSICAL OF THE SEASON!"

After Midnight: http://www.aftermidnightbroadway.com

Dre

Just saw Gary Clark Jr. Last night. Outdoor, beautiful weather (though had rained all day right up the last hour), 1500 person venue in Wilmington NC by a lake and an awesome sunset. Gary ripped through 1 1/2 hour set of music with very little talking and lots of swagger. He owns the guitar! Highly recommended for rhythm and blues fans, and rock music lovers in general. Never cease to be amazed by the dynamic range of live music.

Just saw Gary Clark Jr. Last night. Outdoor, beautiful weather (though had rained all day right up the last hour), 1500 person venue in Wilmington NC by a lake and an awesome sunset. Gary ripped through 1 1/2 hour set of music with very little talking and lots of swagger. He owns the guitar! Highly recommended for rhythm and blues fans, and rock music lovers in general. Never cease to be amazed by the dynamic range of live music.

Amazing musician, great album, great live performer. Totally agree.

http://servingthemusic.com/2013/10/11/gary-clark-jr-at-the-house-of-blues-san-diego/

Amazing musician, great album, great live performer. Totally agree.

http://servingthemusic.com/2013/10/11/gary-clark-jr-at-the-house-of-blues-san-diego/

Andre,

You called it- great review. I took a guitar lover who had never heard of Gary Clark Jr (kept thinking I was saying Jerry) and he was blown away. Also of note- the man can SING! As one of the concert goers said as we left-"We'll be telling our grandchildren we saw this dude in a small venue in 2014, and they'll think wow"

Barry

Andre,

You called it- great review. I took a guitar lover who had never heard of Gary Clark Jr (kept thinking I was saying Jerry) and he was blown away. Also of note- the man can SING! As one of the concert goers said as we left-"We'll be telling our grandchildren we saw this dude in a small venue in 2014, and they'll think wow"

Barry
Yes, his voice is magical too. I think he has tremendous potential to grow as a song writer and recording artist. I think he has just scratched the surface so far.

Just scored some primo tickets for The Kills at the Neptune in the fall. I am a big fan of Alison Mosshart!

My wife and I have been attending concerts there for years. Great performances and superb sound. You can't take pics during the concert hence the empty chairs. Jazz at the Crypt downstairs on Wednesday nights is pretty cool as well.

Just managed to book for Beethoven's 5th and 9th on the 27th, both being played at the Royal Albert Hall by the Royal Philharmonic.

Not a concert, but just saw D.L. Hughley Saturday evening at Cobb's Comedy Club. This man is over the top funny. My son was in tears from laughing so hard.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing