Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just coming back from the most awesome LSO performance at the Barbican of Scheherazade, and thinking how I am going to ever recreate that sound

Also saw Beethoven's 5th by Philharmonia at the Royal Festival Hall last week. Excellent.

Saw Joshua Redman with his killer Trio at Jazz Alley including Gregory Hutchinson on drums and Ruben Rogers on bass...great show! The New CD "Trios Live" is dynamite!

Two Recent Concerts

I've attended two concerts recently that were noteworthy and on totally oposite ends of the musical spectrum!

First was Emanuel Ax with the Dallas Symphony playing Mozart Piano Concerto #14. I must admit that I was not familiar with this piano concerto but it is beautiful. Folks, Emanuel Ax is a National treasure. We are so fortunate to have Myerson Symphony Hall and Mr Ax and DSO filled it with a most beautiful piano concerto.

Speaking of treasures, this gentlemen is a WORLD treasure. Last night I received my Father's Day gift from my 27 year old son. He took me to see Paul McCartney at American Airlines Center. First time for me. If you are my age, (and many of you are!) the songs bring back memories of your childhood, teenage years, basically your whole adolescent life and life to date. Very emotional experience for me and to have my youngest son with me was a double treat. I put small pieces of cotton in my ears and the sound was...doesn't matter. The man played for three hours! Unforgettable experience for me given my lifelong love of the Beatles.

I saw Rolando Villazon at Southbank yesterday. Highly recommendedhttp://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whatson/rolando-villaz%C3%B3n-opera-gala-82588?dt=2014-10-14

Also saw Bach Cantatas at Wigmore Hall (great acoustics), Dvorak's New World Symphony at Royal Festival Hall, and Brahms' Violin Sonatas at the Barbican, an event that was recorded by Decca.

Going to Mahler's 9th conducted by Daniel Harding at the Barbican tomorrow and Sir John Eliot Gardiner conducting Beethoven's Fifth at the Barbican on the 7th.

Also saw Bach Cantatas at Wigmore Hall (great acoustics), Dvorak's New World Symphony at Royal Festival Hall, and Brahms' Violin Sonatas at the Barbican, an event that was recorded by Decca.

Going to Mahler's 9th conducted by Daniel Harding at the Barbican tomorrow and Sir John Eliot Gardiner conducting Beethoven's Fifth at the Barbican on the 7th.

Please make sure to post regarding the Gardiner/Beethoven 5th!

Last night saw Cecile McLorin Salvant and the Aaron Diehl Trio (he on piano, Paul Sikivie on bass, and Lawrence Leathers on drums) last night at the Grace Rainey Rogers Auditorium at the Met. Fantasic.

Fantastic! I have her album and was playing it just last weekend. Truly gifted.
Last night saw Cecile McLorin Salvant and the Aaron Diehl Trio (he on piano, Paul Sikivie on bass, and Lawrence Leathers on drums) last night at the Grace Rainey Rogers Auditorium at the Met. Fantasic.

Hi

I should visit this thread a lot more... I will try to put some of my concerts-going expereince into words...

The last concert (Last week) I went to was Lyle Lovett in my part-time town Miami, FL. I am a huge fan of his work, Lovett is IMO a national treasure. Almost unique in his ability to make the mundane or trivial sound poetic...

So I was there. I had not gone to a Lyle concert for a long-while about 5 years so my expectations were high. I was not disappointed in term of performance: Lyle delivered his usual great performances. The setting was somewhat unusual at least for me. I am used to his "Large Band" this was his Acoustical Group. The members of this band were able to showcase their talent to kind-of come to the front in a very generous way. They were good not great but you can tell that some (Keith Sewell (?) and Luke Bulla in particular) are talented individuals and have a future as leader or solo artists. No disappointment whatsoever on this front

Now for the sound .. OMG .. Bad, never deterred from the concert maybe because the music was so compelling but bad in every way. I had the strange feeling that something was wrong in the set-up. I was dead-center (Adrienne Arsht Center ), yet the sound was coming from one side .. I saw a technician trying to fix a few things during the concert, to no avail IMO. You could hear the instruments , of course but that was about it. I sincerely missed a good audio system. This was an exception Lovett's concerts are usually good sounding but this one wasn't .. Must say that this was amplified not acoustic like the name would imply

Yet, in spite of all of this I thoroughly enjoyed the concert ... Says something about the power of music :) Would have loved, though to hear the same band un-amplified in a smaller venue, say a club. Will be looking for that..

Last edited:
The last concert (Last week) I went to was Lyle Lovett in my part-time town Miami, FL. I am a huge fan of his work, Lovett is IMO a national treasure. Almost unique in his ability to make the mundane or trivial sound poetic...

He is fantastic. Glad the performance was great even if the sound of the venue was not. Saw him with the Large Band most recently in August at the Beacon Theatre. Excellent.

Saw John Gardiner conduct Beethoven's fifth at the Barbican last night with his own period orchestra. Quite a different interpretation. The orchestra sounds more fresh and musical, but light (less numbers, and the period instruments sound different). Almost feel like comparing hifi, with this going musical on the details while the usual orchestra being more impactful on the tuttis. They also sit differently, cellos and bass on the left, old type of french horns behind them, and trombonists behind the clarinet/bassoon. Tympani and bass drum on the right.

The violinists were initially standing, like in baroque, and for the fourth movement, the entire orchestra stood up and closed in. Quite good. Will watch Dudamel do the fifth in Jan.

http://www.monteverdi.co.uk/about/orr

Also saw Mussorgsky's Pictures' Piano rendition at the Wigmore Hall on Wednesday

Just booked tickets for

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario - December 3, 2014
The Tragically Hip - Scotia Saddledome - Calgary, Alberta - February 9, 2015

My girlfriend treated me to The Bill Charlap Trio at the Village Vanguard last Saturday. Very entertaining.

Saw John Gardiner conduct Beethoven's fifth at the Barbican last night with his own period orchestra. Quite a different interpretation. The orchestra sounds more fresh and musical, but light (less numbers, and the period instruments sound different). Almost feel like comparing hifi, with this going musical on the details while the usual orchestra being more impactful on the tuttis. They also sit differently, cellos and bass on the left, old type of french horns behind them, and trombonists behind the clarinet/bassoon. Tympani and bass drum on the right.

The violinists were initially standing, like in baroque, and for the fourth movement, the entire orchestra stood up and closed in. Quite good. Will watch Dudamel do the fifth in Jan.

http://www.monteverdi.co.uk/about/orr

Also saw Mussorgsky's Pictures' Piano rendition at the Wigmore Hall on Wednesday

Who performed Pictures? We saw the fine British pianist Paul Lewis do it last year on his US Tour. Larry

We saw a wonderfully moving performance of the Dvorak Stabat Mater by the Czech Philharmonic and Prague Choir, with 4 Czech soloists, all conducted by Jiri Belohlavek on Sunday in Berkeley. It was played without intermission, 90+ minutes, and the time flew by. Everyone was in top form and the choir was particularly good. Dvorak, wrote this during the period that all three of his children died. He sought solace from the Stabat Mater (Mary standing, crying at the Cross).

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing