Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I visited Santa Fe Opera for the first time last week. I attended "Cold Mountain" (a world premiere of an opera based on the 1997 Charles Frazier book), "Salome", and "Rigoletto". Order of preference: S, R, CM.

The director made rather controversial choices in Salome: e.g. No veils removed -- instead Salome remembers how her father was strangled by Herod. A big prison cell instead of a cistern. There was no moon in the staging, although I watched the real thing setting during the course of the evening. I really enjoyed the production of Salome. Quinn Kelsey was very good as Rigoletto. Cold Mountain had a lot of story exposition. The most musically memorable part was the men's chorus in Act 2.

With the sides and the back of stage open to the air, I was skeptical about the acoustics although I'd heard good reports. In all cases, the singing voices came through well. (No amplification, though in CM they wore body mics for a recording.) In CM I felt the orchestra level was a bit low -- but I had no frame of reference. The level in Salome was fine, though perhaps a bit low. For both CM and S my seat was centered, though near the back of the main level. For Rigoletto, my seat was centered at the back of the upper level, just below the lighting booth. I thought the volume of the orchestra was better here, probably due the fact that more of the pit was visible. I was seated next to a couple who said that they've been coming for years, and that these seats all the way back are their favorite seats! The $$$ fifth row center seats obviously have better viewing, but is the sound better? Maybe, maybe not.

I also did a 9:00 am backstage tour. Most interesting and highly recommended.

Opening night at the BSO yesterday, will be there tomorrow. Symphonic Dances, Shostakovich #9, Tchaikovsky Piano #1 with Evgeny Kissin

[video]https://www.facebook.com/bostonsymphony/videos/10153242937873269/[/video]

Opening night at the BSO yesterday, will be there tomorrow. Symphonic Dances, Shostakovich #9, Tchaikovsky Piano #1 with Evgeny Kissin

[video]https://www.facebook.com/bostonsymphony/videos/10153242937873269/[/video]

How sensational! :p

Bonzo75 and I heard Stravinksy's Rite of Spring by the London Symphony Orchestra at Barbican Centre. I heard great dynamics, natural sound-staging and no crossover discontinuities!

Tierney Sutton Band at Birdland on 10/20/15. I have seen the band several times and they get better every time I see them. Christian Jacob on piano, Kevin Axt on bass and Ray Brinker on drums.

Image 1.jpg

Fourplay at Ronnie Scott's tonight with my wife and Touraj Moghaddam, and his colleague Ashley, of Vertere. I know nothing about jazz and, while I enjoy the atmosphere of a jazz club I don't expect to really enjoy the music as music, but I really enjoyed their original music last night. Their electric guitars made some of the pieces rock-ish, and more interesting to me than typical jazz.

Last edited:
While at CEDIA, Nyall, Michael (Dallasjustice) and Scotty had a blast attending the Xavier Rudd concert. If you are like me and have not heard of him, he is what happens when Australia and Reggae mix.

The concert was in a historic cinema with seats removed. It was very intimate with a bunch of friendly people around.

The man plays every instrument and the concert went on for hours.

Thanks so much to Nyall for introducing us to this band and for Michael for buying the tickets. :) It was incredible fun.

In the last month, my wife and I heard some really great jazz. The Roy Hargrove Quintet at the Blue Note in NYC and the Russell Malone Quartet at Shanghai Jazz in New Jersey. These guys are two of my favorite musicians. I told Russell Malone after his performance that he was wonderful and his response was "I still am!" :D

Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing