Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Animals and Edgar Winter Group at the Boardwalk Beach Concerts in Santa Cruz. Both fantastic. I always wondered how Edgar Winter performed "Frankenstein",now I know, Edgar goes from keyboards to Sax to two sets of guitar-keyboards to his own drum set during the performance. It was great, but afterward he "apologized" for technical difficulties and said he would do better on the second set. It seemed perfect the first time.

Eric Burden is quite formidable still as a vocalist. It was funny to see him with binoculars, a kind of roly-poly old guy with short, gray hair belting them out.

Santana plays in a couple of weeks, but unfortunately, I will be in Chicago.

During the past 12 months I've been to some interesting events...
So, I had the chance to go twice to the Roger Waters' The Wall live. It has been the most exciting musical experience of my life. I mean, I'm in love with that album and Waters performed it as the Pink Floyd did in 1980, with animations, giant puppets and amazing music. Did he need money? I don't care, I wish these kind of concerts would always be in tour!!!
Recently I went to the 360 degrees tour of the U2. I'm not their greatest fan, but I have to say it has been a fantastic concert. Amazing venue, amazing stage, 2h40' of non-stop music. Totally well spent money!!!
I had the chance to go to the Deep Purple in tour, too. Great! Ian's voice is no more the one of Child In Time, clearly, but the overall performance has been convincing, powerful and catchy!
A special note for Slash's concert, almost a year ago. I grew up with Guns 'N' Roses music and I had dreamt to listen to Slash since I was 12. That performance, in a small ballroom, has been totally amusing!!! You're allowed to laugh, I don't care... ;-)
Little more than a year ago I went to the Iron Maiden tour. Dream Theater were the supporting band (!). What stage animals! A real rock experience! :)
Very bad comment on Whitesnake's performance (ok, laugh again...). Coverdale was great, now he has no more voice... :-(

My wife went with a friend to hear Jeff Bridges at Chateau St. Michelle. She said it was terrific a terrific show and was impressed by his musicianship.

For you Seattle members

Earlier in the summer a Seattle-based group called "Reptet" passe through my NY town on the first of a "cross country tour" ending up back home. They are a 6 piece group that play an infectious mix of jazz - reggae - funk - you name it, with totally original compositions.

I just looked on their website and don't see any concerts listed. But do suggest you go hear them if they still exist.

Charles

Some well read this in horror.. Kate Perry, honest :)
But do not think of the normal chart pop songs.

This was a very surprising smallish gig in Europe and shows that she does have talent, the music structure was changed to be more acoustic/country/blues orientated and I have to say if this was available as an album I would buy it straight away.
As it is, it seems you cannot and there is no way I am purchasing the pop version of the very same songs.
You would never have realised just how good those songs can sound, or the talent that she has.

Hope no-one is too horrified :)
Cheers
Orb

Reactions: musicfirst1
I saw K.D. Lang a few weeks ago at a small venue in Spokane. When she sang her 10 minute version of Hallejulah in the middle of the set, the crowd went crazy. Best female performance I have seen in a very long time.

Keith I've got our tickets for the Belinda Carlyle, Human League and Howard Jones concert. I hope they don't try any "Simon Le Bon 2010" jump and spin maneuvers!

Big Brother and the Holding Co. Because my wife does most of the "behind the scenes" work on their website, we go to any concerts that are local enough for us to drive to, gratis.

Next up is Trio of a Perfect Pair in S.F. :D

The Estrada Sextet at the new SOKA performing arts center.

http://www.estradabrothers.com/index.html

http://www.soka.edu/news_events/eve...ers-features-the-estrada-brothers-sextet.aspx

We heard Shelby Lynne perform at the Triple Door last night. It was just Shelby and her 'trusty Gibson' and it happened to be her 43rd birthday. She was absolutely terrific. I'm a big fan but never really appreciated what a great vocal instrument she possesses. And while not Eddie Van Halen, she's a pretty fair guitarist. She played most of the songs from her new LP "Revelation Road" and a few older nuggets. Always a good thing when a performer is better live than on a recording.

BTW, they were selling her last 3 vinyl LPs at the merch table :)

Reactions: Long Live Analog

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing