Venture Audio Grand Ultimate Speakers - anyone heard them before?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Read some stuff on Audiogon about them...just curious. Thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Read some stuff on Audiogon about them...just curious. Thanks!
REad the review this month in one of the audio mags...HiFi + or something in the store. positive review though not as revealing as i would have preferred about the specifics of the speaker's capabilities.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com

The TAS review is here http://www.audiolimits.com/html/venture_grand_ultimate_review.html

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
At RMAF 2011

From Steve Marsh of 6moons

Audio Limits – Venture, B.M.C. Audio, Stage II Concepts, Precision Audio & Video: Okay, the speakers are $90.000/pr but this was one expensive speaker that sounded utterly fantastic. I know, it damned well better! Music selections played either from a computer with J.River media player or from the BMC BDCD1 belt-drive CD transport ($5.990) were Harry Belafonte, Steely Dan and a blues guitar player (Todd Bennett perhaps).
The sound was perfectly balanced with just the right amount of everything. I could find no fault. I read John Atkinson’s blog on this room and he was also "blown away". While the speakers are very expensive, the electronics are not quite as breathtaking in cost.
The amps were the BMC AMP M1 solid-state monoblocks ($15.580 each) and the preamp/DAC was a BMC DAC1 Pre (HR) D/A converter/preamplifier ($6.290). A peek under the hood of the beautifully made BMC components was provided on a side table.

rlawry

Sep 18, 2012
I heard the Venture Ultimate Reference speakers at the recent Newport Beach Audio Show in the Precision Audio Video room; not sure if this is the same speaker. The Ventures were in the largest room I saw at the show and were driven by some very expensive Venture solid-state electronics including DSD player. I have known the owner of PAV for 20 years and have always respected his hearing, but for the first time ever I heard what was a loud and relentless sound in one of his rooms. It may well have been the relatively untreated room that caused what I thought was a very hi-fi-ish presentation on the first day, so perhaps the sound was more natural on subsequent days. That being said, bass and dynamics were probably the best I heard at the show, but I was much more taken with the more natural and realistic sound of the newer Wilson speakers and the absolutely heavenly mbl 101E room. I also loved the Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOnes and YG Acoustic Carmels.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Venture speakers are the best I have heard, ever, in my 35 years in this hobby. And, i have heard some damn fine speakers/systems. In fact, several years ago I sold my JM Labs/Focal Alto Be for a pair of Venture CR-8 Signatures. Plus, Mike the US importer, is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I have found sometimes at audio shows, the volume goes way up, and what's to like about a hotel room unless you are using the bed.;)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
New version of GU was released at CES.
I would be bummed to be that guy who bought the old version last month without knowing about the new version.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
View attachment 7612

The Grand Ultimate is truly a wonderful sounding speaker that broke the ground for all the rest of the floorstanding speakers in the Ultimate Series, it will out ersolve any other speaker on the market while eliminating all manner of inherent distorion with its Venture drivers.

Now it has been upgraded to the Grand Ultimate MK II, getting bigger in size and being equipped with the latest 7" CFGC underhand midrange, as used in the Xtreme and Ultimate Reference speakers.

The crossover has also been updated with better quality components to improve the microdynamics for better live performance. The smallest changes in pitch and overtone structure can be heard, convincing that real voices and instrumental sounds are actually there.

There are four 7" CFGC bass drivers that are capable of mining the lowest audible frequencies, while holding very tight and powerful bass.

SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency Response: 22-60,000Hz
Sensitivity: 92 dB
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Recommended Power: Up to 400 Watts (No clipping)
Break-in Time: 100 hrs min playing time
Drivers:
One 2" VENTURE AGC Fullrange Dynamic Tweeter
One 7" VENTURE CFGC Underhang midrange
Four 7" VENTURE CFGC Woofers
Design: 3-Way First order Crossover Design
Weight: 80 kg or 175 lbs
Dimensions: H140 x W35 x D53 (cm)
Cabinet: Ebony in High Gloss lacquer

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Stunning!

ltr317

Jul 9, 2013
NYC
I have heard this speaker at the NY audio show and Newport Beach show this year, and at both shows the sound was very impressive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing