30 ablums that influenced my life

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
This didn't fit in the featured review, so here it is.

This came to me as "30 Albums that changed your life". I don't know how much these changed me but they did influence or affect me in a lasting way. Some directly and others were a catalyst that helped define a moment in my life or helped me get through it. It is a real eclectic mix and covers almost 30 years of my life. What are some of yours?

Steely Dan - AJA
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Randy Newman - Sail Away
Steve Miller - Fly Like an Eagle
Supertramp - Breakfast in America
The Clash - London Calling
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Facing Future
Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love
Marvin Gaye - Whats Going On
Jean Michel Jarre - The essential
Alan Parsons Project - I Robot
Cream - Wheels of Fire
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Gerry Rafferty - City to City
Joe Walsh - The Smoker you Drink the Player you Get
Dave Bruebeck - Time Out
Matt Bianco - Matt's Mood
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Patricia Barber - Modern Cool
Spyro Gyra - Morning Dance
Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto
Weather Report - Heavy Weather
Larry Carlton - Last Night
Loreena McKennitt - The Mask and Mirror
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
Ottmar Liebert - Nouveau Flamenco
Pat Metheny - Offramp
Andrea Bocelli - Romanza
Brian Bromberg - Wood
Yo-Yo Ma - Simply Baroque II

Yes, I have all of these on vinyl. There are many more but I was told I could only use 30. Man, what a tough job to narrow down.

SORAsound

May 14, 2010
This is a real thought provoking question. And I am sure I will think about it in the next few days to see which records have affected me strongly. Certainly some of the music in your list. I would be curious how they have affected your life...it is easier for me to say how they have affected my musical thinking/listening/taste at least for a period of time...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here's my list. No classical. No jazz. Just rock'n'roll. These are the albums that I listened to, for the most part, growing up and played the most on my turntable. Ergo, they must have had an effect :) Please excuse me for going over the limit by 3!

Allman Brothers: Eat a Peach
Alice in Chains: Unplugged
Billy Joel: The Stranger
Bob Dylan: The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan: Highway 61 Revisited
Bob Dylan: John Wesley Harding
Bruce Springsteen: Born to Run
Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman
Cream: Disraeli Gears
Elton John: Madman Across the Water
Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac
Grateful Dead: American Beauty
Grateful Dead: Workingman's Dead
Jethro Tull: Aqualung
Jimi Hendrix: Are You Experienced
Lou Reed: Transformer
Neil Young: After the Gold Rush
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
David Bowie: Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
David Bowie: Aladdin Sane
Led Zepellin: LZ 2
Led Zepellin: LZ 4
Nirvana: Nevermind
Nirvana: In Utero
Pink Floyd: DSOTM
Rod Stewart: Every Picture Tells a Story
Simon and Garfunkel: Bookends
The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper
The Beatles: White Album
The Beatles: Let it Be
The Doors: The Doors
The Doors: LA Woman
The Who: Tommy

Last edited:

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Nice list. I know them all. I have a sister 7 years older than me, so I was exposed to music not necessarily my generation. Not as easy as you would think to come up with only 30 or 33 in our case,

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I'll follow Myles with a list of rock, no jazz. In somewhat alphabetic order:

Bob Dylan: Highway 61 Revisited
Bob Marley: Legend
Collage: Moonshine
CSNY: Deja Vu
David Gilmour: On An Island
Derek Trucks Band: Live At The Georgia Theatre
ELP: (1) Trilogy & (2) Brain Salad Surgery
The Flower Kings: Space Revolver
Genesis: (1) Selling England By The Pound, (2) Foxtrot, (3) Nursery Crime & (4) The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Grateful Dead: (1) American Beauty & (2) Terrapin Station
IQ: Dark Matter
Jeff Beck: Blow By Blow
Pink Floyd: (1) DSOTM, (2) WYWH, (3) Meddle & (4) Animals
Robert Cray: Strong Persuader
Santana: Abraxas
Satellite: A Street Between Sunrise And Sunset
SRV: (1) Couldn't Stand The Weather & (2) Texas Flood
Supertramp: (1) Crime Of The Century & (2) Even In The Quietest Moments
Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense
Transatlantic: Bridge Across Forever
Traffic: The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys
The Who: (1) Quadrophenia & (2) Who's Next
Yes: (1) Fragile, (2) The Yes Album & (3) Close To The Edge
Van Morrison: (1) Moondance & (2) Tupelo Honey

I know I exceeded 30, but what's a fellow gonna do?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ok, so here is my list (second time trying to do this as I screwed up and had too many pages open).

Dave Brubeck: Time Out - This is the LP that got me into music...thanks Dad
The Beatles: Beatles '65 - The very first LP I bought

As such, the above 2 LP's have a lot of meaning for me.

To continue on in no specific order:

Pink Floyd: Meddle
The Alan Parsons Project: Tales of Mystery and Imagination
Cat Stevens: Tea For The Tillerman
Murray Head: Say It Ain't So
Blind Faith: Blind Faith
Stevie Wonder: Songs In The Key Of Life
Fiori-Seguin: Deux Cents Nuiots a l'Heure
Eric Clapton: 461 Ocean Boulevard
Elton John: Elton John
Rickie Lee Jones: Rickie Lee Jones
The Alan Parsons Project: I, Robot
Steve Winwood: Arc Of A Diver
Dire Straits: Sultans of Swing
The The: Soul Mining
Tears For Fears: The Hurting
Annie Lennox: Diva
Genesis: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Led Zeppelin: In Through The Out Door
Steely Dan: Aja
Three Dog Night: Live from the L.A. Forum
Roxy Music: Avalon
Jose Feliciano: Souled
CSN&Y: Deja Vu
Steppenwolf: Steppenwolf Live
The Cranberries: No Need To Argue
The Police: Regatta de Blanc
10cc: The Original Soundtrack
The Beatles: The Beatles (white album)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
what really interests me is that the common denominator in these lists are not the albums but rather the artists. We seem to be influenced by the same artists or groups but just prefer different albums of theirs

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think that will change as the membership base grows, although I know a lot of people much younger than I who are really drawn to the music of the 60's and 70's. There is just something magical about it.

John

Steve Williams

I think that will change as the membership base grows, although I know a lot of people much younger than I who are really drawn to the music of the 60's and 70's. There is just something magical about it.

John

John

you're preaching to the choir man. As far as I'm concerned if you don't know music of the 60's and 70's you just don't know rock. I'm locked in that era. It was the best groups, and the best concerts.

Last year I went to see Martin Scorcese's Shine A Light which documents two nights of concerts at a New York Theater by The Rollin' Stones. What fascinated me was how those 4 dudes who all look like death warmed over could continue to produce an extraordinary concert even after 6 decades. Mick Jagger struts like he's still 25 and I bet any of those young chicks in the audience would do anything for him. At the theater (2:30 on a weekday afternoon) only people were ages 50-70

But,in the movie which showed the concert were people from ages 20 -70 including Pres Clinton,his wife and mother-in-law

The concert was rock and roll and Stones at their best. My kids have watched it a dozen times here on our HT as the sound is great.

My moral......if you don't know the music of the 60's and 70's you ain't heard rock and roll.

Now the caveat John, is that they have heard it, love it and are coming back for more

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John

you're preaching to the choir man. As far as I'm concerned if you don't know music of the 60's and 70's you just don't know rock. I'm locked in that era. It was the best groups, and the best concerts.

Last year I went to see Martin Scorcese's Shine A Light which documents two nights of concerts at a New York Theater by The Rollin' Stones. What fascinated me was how those 4 dudes who all look like death warmed over could continue to produce an extraordinary concert even after 6 decades. Mick Jagger struts like he's still 25 and I bet any of those young chicks in the audience would do anything for him. At the theater (2:30 on a weekday afternoon) only people were ages 50-70

But,in the movie which showed the concert were people from ages 20 -70 including Pres Clinton,his wife and mother-in-law

The concert was rock and roll and Stones at their best. My kids have watched it a dozen times here on our HT as the sound is great.

My moral......if you don't know the music of the 60's and 70's you ain't heard rock and roll.

Now the caveat John, is that they have heard it, love it and are coming back for more

Yes they are...and to expand slighty. It is, in many ways, no different than our renewed interest in the likes of Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Count Basie, Oscar Peterson. You and I wouldn't have given that music any consideration when Pink Floyd's Echoes was spinning on our first TT.

Good music is good music...and you can hear it on a system of your own for a lot less than what you may think. :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes they are...and to expand slighty. It is, in many ways, no different than our renewed interest in the likes of Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Count Basie, Oscar Peterson. You and I wouldn't have given that music any consideration when Pink Floyd's Echoes was spinning on our first TT.

Good music is good music...and you can hear it on a system of your own for a lot less than what you may think. :)

John-

To take your reply one step further. One thing that our systems allow us to do is explore new music genres that we might never otherwise listen!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
First; great thread and comments. i certainly identify with the same artists already mentioned above. coincidentally, the first Lp i ever purchased was the same as John72953, Beatles '65.

i strongly agree that 'Rock Music' was defined by late 60's and early 70's Rock, and.....

......if you don't know the music of the 60's and 70's you ain't heard rock and roll.

i remember when my children were in grade school in the mid 80's, and for a year or two enjoyed the music of their peers, 80's pop and hip-hop. but then they were able to listen to my 60's and 70's Rock with a bit more insight as they learned about music and soon tossed aside contemporary 80's stuff and embraced the purity and power of my Classic Rock. i did not need to do much convincing. later they did enjoy some of the 90's emergence of Grunge (they did grow up in Seattle and are similar ages to Nirvana) and the more creative 90's music....which they feel is much closer tied to 60's and 70's Rock than the 80's crap.

i guess i could do my own list but it would be quite similar to other lists. maybe the exception would be that when i was in High School i was given a Beethoven Symphony's box set. i cannot remember exactly which set it was; but i did play those and really connected to the 5th, 6th and 9th. to this day that music has meaning to me....although i've never really known much about classical music.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John-

To take your reply one step further. One thing that our systems allow us to do is explore new music genres that we might never otherwise listen!

Myles,

You nailed it exactly. It's the satisfaction we get from our systems that opens up our mind for new experiences.

"Los Indios Tabajaros" here I come!

John

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
...You and I wouldn't have given that music any consideration when Pink Floyd's Echoes was spinning on our first TT.
If Echoes is the first Floyd tune that comes to mind when you think of Floyd, then we think alike. My all time favorite Floyd tune.

Steve Williams

If Echoes is the first Floyd tune that comes to mind when you think of Floyd, then we think alike. My all time favorite Floyd tune.

Ron you and I need to go to that concert at HP Center. I don't think he'll come around again but I would hope I'm wrong

Gilmour is either
1. A fool

2. The richest man in the world to pass up a PF Revival

3. Both

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Gilmour is no fool. When he came around to The Paramount Theater in Oakland to promote his On An Island tour last year (or was that 2 years ago?), tickets were around the same price as those for the Roger Waters San Jose show.

Also, remember, he and Waters have a lot of history between them which caused Gilmour to leave the band in the first place. Can't say I blame Gilmour. I wish it were otherwise, of course, but egos, particularly Waters's, presided.

Now don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to go to the San Jose show. The DSOTM Waters show at the Oakland Colliseum was fantastic. It was very much like a Floyd show, with large inflatable animals floating above the crowd. What I really need to do is somehow win some promotion for free tix to the San Jose show, because the admission price is over my head and beyond my wallet.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Steve, McCartney is coming to AT&T Park (think S.F. Giants) on July 10. Presale is Sat, 5/22 at 10 a.m. If tix aren't in the stratosphere, I'm going. This should be a great show.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Steve, McCartney is coming to AT&T Park (think S.F. Giants) on July 10. Presale is Sat, 5/22 at 10 a.m. If tix aren't in the stratosphere, I'm going. This should be a great show.

I have no idea how I could possibly not have included Paul McCartney's RAM on my list! A gross error on my part!

John

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing