Tas 3.7

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
"I would guesstimate that in my room, with the gear I’m currently using, the 3.7s are going down to about 45Hz, with “useable response” into the upper thirties."

HP and Steve Guttenburg also claim a low of about 45 hz.

Poor bass response compared the IIIa (32 to 40Khz +/- 3dB) or the 3.6 (34 to 40Khz +/- 4 dB) both in a "typical" room (from Magnepans own specifications!).

I get flat usable (measured) bass down to 30hz with my Pass Labs 60.5's driving 3.6's, at my listening position.

Low bass is their downside for a $6K speaker!

Why is the low bass worse than the IIIa or 3.6????

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
"I would guesstimate that in my room, with the gear I’m currently using, the 3.7s are going down to about 45Hz, with “useable response” into the upper thirties."

HP and Steve Guttenburg also claim a low of about 45 hz.

Poor bass response compared the IIIa (32 to 40Khz +/- 3dB) or the 3.6 (34 to 40Khz +/- 4 dB) both in a "typical" room (from Magnepans own specifications!).

I get flat usable (measured) bass down to 30hz with my Pass Labs 60.5's driving 3.6's, at my listening position.

Low bass is their downside for a $6K speaker!

Why is the low bass worse than the IIIa or 3.6????
From Magnepan's own website on their page for the 3.7 - "If your 3.7s don't go below 45 Hz, please call us".

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
From Magnepan's own website on their page for the 3.7 - "If your 3.7s don't go below 45 Hz, please call us".

The 3.7's at the local Minneapolis dealer lack low bass.

I guess anyone interested needs to visit the Magnepan factory, and listen to their 3.7 setup, with a test CD and SPL meter, to find the real answer!

I am not interested in the 3.7's, just curious. I like my 3.6's and IIIa's (in home theater) too much to change.

Anyone with 3.7s measured them in their home?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
My 2.7s have decent bass. The difference between them and the MGIIBs that I had back in the day is dramatic, so I would expect the 3.7s to have decent bass, too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing