Installation of new head to Studer A80RC

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
In the year 60 to 80, we never think about changing or replace heads to our tape deck because we don't have chance to play with pro machine, today although not too many people go back to tape play maybe only those Hi End guys will. but we can have pro machine in a real bargain price today but need service for condition.
There are different models of head that A80 can be used, butterfly is the best sounding one, by chance we can get a brand new one from Ebay under $200, to service heads has to move out the head block for replacing a new or relap head, after install, to set the head in position is a big job and need gauge for Studer's standard, I watch the whole process but took no pictures so I draw to show how it was done
Place the head block with new heads on a piece of marble plate, that is sure for a flat surface, a gauge block for the machine's model (the service guy got a whole set for all models of Studer's product) and a blade for the size of tape, face to the head in right angle , a touch light from behind that can check the vertical of head's surface by the gap of light and adjust also the height of the head check by the blade's top and bottom edge
After adjustment of vertical and height, put the head block back to the machine, add some marker ink to the head's surface and ran tape, by the remained ink of mark for adjust the twisting angle of head, finally a test tape, sig-gen and double-beam scope for azimuth and the rest
Total job hours around 2 to 3 hours plus traveling ( rate $100/h)
Do we need to do that ? we can just install by ourselves adjusting by eye, maybe sound come out not in big different, but for long lasting of the head is another story
In looking for best of the best sound so many things have to be leaned then fun will come later
tony ma

Attachments

• Picture 064.jpg
    Picture 064.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 608

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Thanks, Tony

In the year 60 to 80, we never think about changing or replace heads to our tape deck because we don't have chance to play with pro machine, today although not too many people go back to tape play maybe only those Hi End guys will. but we can have pro machine in a real bargain price today but need service for condition.
There are different models of head that A80 can be used, butterfly is the best sounding one, by chance we can get a brand new one from Ebay under $200, to service heads has to move out the head block for replacing a new or relap head, after install, to set the head in position is a big job and need gauge for Studer's standard, I watch the whole process but took no pictures so I draw to show how it was done
Place the head block with new heads on a piece of marble plate, that is sure for a flat surface, a gauge block for the machine's model (the service guy got a whole set for all models of Studer's product) and a blade for the size of tape, face to the head in right angle , a touch light from behind that can check the vertical of head's surface by the gap of light and adjust also the height of the head check by the blade's top and bottom edge
After adjustment of vertical and height, put the head block back to the machine, add some marker ink to the head's surface and ran tape, by the remained ink of mark for adjust the twisting angle of head, finally a test tape, sig-gen and double-beam scope for azimuth and the rest
Total job hours around 2 to 3 hours plus traveling ( rate $100/h)
Do we need to do that ? we can just install by ourselves adjusting by eye, maybe sound come out not in big different, but for long lasting of the head is another story
In looking for best of the best sound so many things have to be leaned then fun will come later
tony ma

I've had my heads evaluated by Sprague Magnetics and JRF Magnetics. John French ultimately completed all headblock work in consultation with Charlie Bolois...I'm a happy camper :D
I revel in all that you've accomplished ;)
Congrats!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I've had my heads evaluated by Sprague Magnetics and JRF Magnetics. John French ultimately completed all headblock work in consultation with Charlie Bolois...I'm a happy camper :D
I revel in all that you've accomplished ;)
Congrats!

Hi Sam,

I missed this post. You have the best doing work for you! Charlie is among the best Studer teks available,very helpful and a great guy too!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hey Roger

Hi Sam,

I missed this post. You have the best doing work for you! Charlie is among the best Studer teks available,very helpful and a great guy too!

Thanks for your gracious comments :D
We are truly fortunate that those with the knowledge and experience to help us with the care and feeding of our Studers are available.
Charlie Bolois is extraordinary :D BTW, it was Fred Thal (Studer List) who recommended Charlie to me as I live in southern California.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing