Audio Ads that Drive Me Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Here is the kind of ad on Audiogon that comes up all too often where the guy blames his wife for having to sell his gear:

"Description (EAR Yoshino 868)
1.7 year old, pristine condition, upgraded with Telefunken NOS 7DJ8 tubes. Tubes and preamp have only about 250 hours on them. Four outputs, two RCA, two XLR, and a additional XLR input. I will also include the OEM EAR tubes- two 6922's, two 7DJ8's. Chrome faceplate and control knobs. very nice preamp. My wife is absolutely against the expensive audio equipment in our house and that is why I have to sell it."

This one is a slight variation on the theme of the "wife says it has to go because the stereo doesn't fit her decor." This time it's the wife doesn't like expensive audio equipment. I'm always tempted to tell these guys to get rid of the wife and keep the equipment. They would probably be happier in the long-run.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Since when have wives been less expensive than audio equipment?

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
You have bought some expensive gear and you realise it sounds horrible.
How to sell? Telling it is the worst POC ever or is it the most beautiful piece of gear ever but unfortunately your wife doesn’t like it?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I find it kind of refreshing, actually, that some people are that considerate of their spouse's needs. What drives me nuts is the guy with the 55" TV in double-wide's living room, totally dominating the room and rendering everything else in it secondary at best. Or the wife who won't even tolerate a reasonably-sized pair of bookshelf speakers in the only listening room in the house.

But racks of big chuncky audio equipment and huge speakers are no different than the 55" TV. Then again, I've carved out my own little listening space so it's easy for me to criticize.

What drives me crazy about audio ads? When they don't say anything but poetic platitudes totally devoid of any kind of reference to real performance. In other words, most of them drive me crazy. And yes, it's a short trip. :)

Tim

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My wife never know my diy project cost, no advertising of expansive parts
tony ma

As my ex-wife wrote in one of her columns in Stereophile: companies like ARC don't change the look of their gear so that wives don't notice when hubby buys a new piece of equipment. Or as she quipped, like we [wives] don't notice $10K missing from the bank account :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I loved reading Astor Place. If it was based on you, I think we are A LOT alike! :)

Hmmm. What bugs me most......

Audio ads with bikini clad models. Wait, there's worse. Audio ads with models dressed like they're auditioning for Vanna White's job and doing the hand gestures too. The add of those Open Baffle speakers (not Jamo) comes to mind. See? I remember how bad the ad was, but I can't remember the loudspeaker!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Hmmm. What bugs me most......

Audio ads with bikini clad models.

Is lingerie OK, Jack?

'Cuz it works for me.:p

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes it bothers me. Get those stators out of the darned way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allow me to amend my other post. Bikini clad models THAT AREN"T HOT!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yes it bothers me. Get those stators out of the darned way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allow me to amend my other post. Bikini clad models THAT AREN"T HOT!

I sometimes listen in my boxers. You want me to set up a webcam?

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hold on. I'm gonna barf.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Heel, worm!

Maybe Martin Logan is claiming "G Spot Tuning". Where are the measurements?

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Heel, worm!

Maybe Martin Logan is claiming "G Spot Tuning". Where are the measurements?
Many speakers utilize port tuning, Carl. ML has simply taken this concept to a new level of excitation.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes it bothers me. Get those stators out of the darned way!!!!!!!!!!!!! (...)

You should get Soundlabs. They became famous due the photgraph taken by Philip Greenspun, shown in his excellent text "The Stereos of the Rich and the Famous":

http://philip.greenspun.com/images/pcd3391/manipulated/speaker-5.jpg

At that time, when we (Soundlab owners) were asked what were our speakers, there answer was a malicious smile ...

You can read the whole article at

http://philip.greenspun.com/materialism/stereo

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
All of a sudden I have a renewed interest in electrostatics, although it never really waned... and that's the naked truth:cool:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You should get Soundlabs. They became famous due the photgraph taken by Philip Greenspun, shown in his excellent text "The Stereos of the Rich and the Famous":

At that time, when we (Soundlab owners) were asked what were our speakers, there answer was a malicious smile ...

Looks like the "Ultimate WAF". It's THEM or ME, choose!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Speaking of ads that drive me crazy, that article drives me crazy. What a load of crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing