Best single box cd player - any recommendations

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
But I'm pretty familiar with the rest of my system (you can look 'em up in my profile). After comparing notes, I feel that the 808.3 would fit into my system nicely. I've heard dCS Puccini (without the U-Clock) once in a dealer's showroom, partnered with Goldmund amp and Sonus Faber Cremona M. Vocals sounded rather dry and thin. As for XDS1, the cost is prohibitive. So the Meridian is the best bet.

I am very anxious to read your impressions after you'll do some serious listening from it. :b
Please share them with us (here, or start a brand new thread).

Bests,
Bob

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
jtein,

The "dry and thin" you've heard on the DCS was likely coming from that Goldmund amp there. I've heard a pair of Goldmund monoblocks make an otherwise wonderful setup (Evolution MM3, Dartzeel pre, DCS Puccini w/ clock) sound just like that, dry and thin, with no body or punch.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
jtein,

The "dry and thin" you've heard on the DCS was likely coming from that Goldmund amp there. I've heard a pair of Goldmund monoblocks make an otherwise wonderful setup (Evolution MM3, Dartzeel pre, DCS Puccini w/ clock) sound just like that, dry and thin, with no body or punch.

That's interesting. Perhaps the Puccini will sound great with a good tube amp.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Or any other amp that's not a Goldmund :)
I've heard mine with Krell, MBL, VTL, Electrocompaniet, etc., and I know that "dry and thin" is not its sound. With every change of amp, the overall result changed accordingly, which shows how the players is hardly imposing any "sound" of its own.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Or any other amp that's not a Goldmund :)
I've heard mine with Krell, MBL, VTL, Electrocompaniet, etc., and I know that "dry and thin" is not its sound. With every change of amp, the overall result changed accordingly, which shows how the players is hardly imposing any "sound" of its own.
Well, it's good to know these very expensive amplifiers are only imposing their own sound, rather than distorting, which is what cheap, low class amplifiers do, of course ... ;), :b:b

Frank

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
And what was the outcome of the comparison???
Just listening to a Nagra CDP - wonderful player. Very precise and detailed, with a focused sound. Not as enveloping as my ARC CD8, but really good with voices and instrumental music.

BTW, I was yesterday at a long listening session using a Metronome Kalista Ultimate plus the the matching C2-A Signature tube DAC. I hate to recognize this setup was much better than anything else at decent prices. And here I give a (small :) ) point to some digital fans - IMHO RedBook played through this system was far better than any HiRez I have ever listened.

Next Tuesday I am promised an interesting face to face - the Continuum Criterion versus the Kalista + C2-A.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
I am very anxious to read your impressions after you'll do some serious listening from it. :b
Please share them with us (here, or start a brand new thread).

Bests,
Bob

Hi Bob, I've posted my impressions in a new thread under "Meridian" section.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Cary 306 SACD CDP.

Upsampling options in the analogue and digital domain to fine tune the sound. Digital coax input. Very well built and very musical.

GG

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Due to computer based music servers all CD players/transports are soon to be consider relics IMHO. If I were you I would dump the silver spinner machine ASAP before the bottom drops out. I sold my Esoteric about 6 months ago and never looked back. My music server outperformed the CD player thats why I let it go.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Due to computer based music servers all CD players/transports are soon to be consider relics IMHO. If I were you I would dump the silver spinner machine ASAP before the bottom drops out. I sold my Esoteric about 6 months ago and never looked back. My music server outperformed the CD player thats why I let it go.

You could not be further from the truth. It will just condense like vinyl. Not everyone in the world has a computer, and frankly the way Esoterics sound, I don't blame you for selling it, if for the wrong reason.

I might add, one can buy a CDP/DAC/PRE/USB all in one. So, did get so quick on te doomsday bandwagon.

Last edited:

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I realise this is over a year old now, but what did you decide Emre??

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing