first 1/2 inch master tape

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
regarding 1/2" master tapes.

i have ordered one from the Tape Project to play on my 1/2" A820; but until Paul gets a little free time to get it transfered i'm on hold.

however; next Thursday night, August 11th, our local audio club is having a meeting in my room. i asked Dan if they could 'loan' me a 1/2" demo tape of some sort to play at the meeting. Dan is going me one better; he's having a couple of 1/2" demo reels sent up and will bring them over himself to play on my 1/2" machine for the meeting. there ought to be a cut or two that i have in 1/4" to do an A/B of 1/4" and 1/2" both on Studer A820's.....both mastered from the same source and played on the same machine.

should be interesting.

Hello Mike,
Was there any observations , listening comparisons you can share from the Audio Club meeting regarding 1/4" and 1/2" masters.

Thanks,
Gary

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hello Mike,
Was there any observations , listening comparisons you can share from the Audio Club meeting regarding 1/4" and 1/2" masters.

Thanks,
Gary

hi Gary,

i'm still somewhat in recovery from Thursday night. we started playing music at 6pm and went till after 11pm. around 30 people. i never got anywhere near the sweet spot as i was DJ'ing and that end of the room was packed until almost 10pm. so i can't give you any feedback of much value in specfics.

when the meeting started at 7:30pm the first music was the 1/2"-1/4" comparison. we first played a TP Series 3 track from the Nate King Cole/George Shearing album in 1/4" on the 1/4" A-820 with the stock output which from my seat far on the right side middle of the room next to the deck sounded very nice. then we played the same cut in 1/2" on the 1/2" A-820 and from even the moment before the music started the room got bigger even from my seat. then the music was more solid and together. more relaxed and greater ease. again, i'm sitting to the outside of the right speaker even with the sweet spot.

about a minute into the 1/2" track i leaned over to Dan Schmale and asked him to upgrade my Series 3 subscription to 1/2". he smiled and said "you should hear the 1 inch." i'm not going there.

i'm not sure what else i need to say about that.

after the 1/2" was finished i switched the 1/4" a-820 heads to the King Cello and we played the 1/4" again thru the KC. from my seat it was a good deal better than the first play of the stock output. there were a number of comments that i need to get a head switch installed on the 1/2".

comments i heard were that the 1/2" was a whole different ball game, but that the King Cello was also a clear step up.

since i was not in a position to get the whole picture that's all i can tell you.

Mike

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Thanks Mike sounds like you all had a good time .Nice update on the 1/4" & 1/2" 820's also with the K.C., 1/2" is a big sound no doubt a great listening experience.

Cheers

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Half-inch IS fun...

i'm still somewhat in recovery...about a minute into the 1/2" track i leaned over to Dan Schmale and asked him to upgrade my Series 3 subscription to 1/2". Mike

sounds like you're ready for more fun, Mike ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
hi Gary,

about a minute into the 1/2" track i leaned over to Dan Schmale and asked him to upgrade my Series 3 subscription to 1/2". he smiled and said "you should hear the 1 inch." i'm not going there.

i'm not sure what else i need to say about that.

Mike

Ha! Never say never. Remember the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition :) Welcome to your new toy!

Sure Ki said at one time he was just going to have one tape deck too :)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I'm almost afraid to ask but how much is the upgrade to 1/2 inch and one inch?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'm almost afraid to ask but how much is the upgrade to 1/2 inch and one inch?

1/2" takes you from $300 to $600, 1" from $600 to $1200.

besides the subscription rate of $1200 per, and wanting to stay married, there are other reasons to avoid 1".

a 1" machine, as it has been 'splained' to me, is very susceptable to tape head alignment issues due to the size of the heads and tape. any kind of tape non-lineararity at the heads becomes magnified many fold. so there is a maintenance issue which i don't want to deal with.

now watch; a 1" machine will cross in front of my gunsights and there you go.:D

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
besides the subscription rate of $1200 per, and wanting to stay married, there are other reasons to avoid 1".

a 1" machine, as it has been 'splained' to me, is very susectable to tape head alignment issues due to the size of the heads and tape. any kind of tape non-lineararity at the heads becomes magnified many fold. so there is a maintenance issue which i don't want to deal with.

now watch; a 1" machine will cross in front of my gunsights and there you go.:D

Thanks Mike,

That would be a 2 track one inch. Most studio decks for that size tape are multi track. Half inch is plenty good enough for me.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Thanks Mike,

That would be a 2 track one inch. Most studio decks for that size tape are multi track. Half inch is plenty good enough for me.

Roger
I do not have 1/2, so I can't say anything from them, but I do believe that if all conditions are the same 1/2 must be better than 1/4,
thinking the source and practice, music and cost of tape, you need to take the balance, I am still wondering the different of sound quality for recorded in 1/4 on a good quality tape to a 1/2 on a not as good as other one ? which one will be better,because tape's quality is very important .
I also believe tape will come back in future because I saw news from Yahoo LP back to the best seller,musical company can copy tape much more easy than LPs and 2 tracks 1/4 will be the most or for more common 4 tracks again, if any new hi-end deck can be reproduction again, I guess it will be a 2 tracks 1/4 15/ips play back only deck in small quantity like hi-end turn table for LPs
tony ma

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Roger
I do not have 1/2, so I can't say anything from them, but I do believe that if all conditions are the same 1/2 must be better than 1/4,
thinking the source and practice, music and cost of tape, you need to take the balance, I am still wondering the different of sound quality for recorded in 1/4 on a good quality tape to a 1/2 on a not as good as other one ? which one will be better,because tape's quality is very important .
I also believe tape will come back in future because I saw news from Yahoo LP back to the best seller,musical company can copy tape much more easy than LPs and 2 tracks 1/4 will be the most or for more common 4 tracks again, if any new hi-end deck can be reproduction again, I guess it will be a 2 tracks 1/4 15/ips play back only deck in small quantity like hi-end turn table for LPs
tony ma

Tony,

The prices of the best machines will appreciate over time. I just don't see anybody producing these types of machines ever again.

1/4 inch can sound surprisingly good on the right machine.

I'm convinced that properly upgraded tape electronics can close the gap. There are other things that can make a difference,heads,guides,ect. But all stock electronics can be improved and some are designed better than others. If you want to experience the best possible playback a studio deck is the only way to go. A Ampex is my first choice and then Studer,but there are others too that are very good.

I might add Tony,with your abilities,trust your ears. Even pre-recorded 1/4 inch can sound amazing,on my upgraded 440,sometimes I have to pinch myself and it's not like I don't have anything to compare it to!

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing