“Golden Ear Award” for 2011

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Issue 215 of TAS:

Peter Breuninger gives the PS Audio Perfectwave Transport, DAC, and “Bridge” his “Golden Ear Award” for 2011

"This combination may not equal a handful of
units that cost far, far more (like the Meinter
XDS1 or the Meridian 808 Signature), but it
comes so close that differences are as much
matters of taste as of the finest nuances of
sonic detail. The sound is extraordinarily live
and detailed, and capable of getting the best
bass response out of digital. The PS gear is
detailed without any without hardness or edge
that is not on the recording. A “must-hear”
unit if you are trying to scale the heights of
digital—particularly if you are not operating
on an unlimited budget. It is in the process
of becoming a full music server with its own
music-management system, and it can handle
even the highest sampling and frequency rates
with ease—making it one of the few buys with
full growth potential for the future. (Review
pending)"

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I am very happy with this combo..trans and dac connected via I2S protocol. No real desire for the bridge server option. Gave it a listen last night to hear MoFi's recent re-issue of The Cars Candy-O. Sounded nice for digital...still, nowhere near the analog experience in terms of musical involvement, soundstage depth and width. I am sure I will enjoy the vinyl version much more when it's released in the near future.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
The Bridge is still a work in progress, but it sounds as good or better than any other computer playback system that I've heard and I don't have to turn on a computer to access my music files (Seagate HD/Netgear WNDR 3700).

Too bad MoFi didn't re-issue The Cars Candy-O as a 24/96 or higher DVD-A.

With 24/96 or higher material, the PWT/PWD combo really shines, especially when you go direct into your amp(s).

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Sometimes you just have to walk on by.....:)

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
After hearing a lot of positive buzz about that product when it first came out, I don't hear as much about it. I think the network bridge not working well set some folks back.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
After hearing a lot of positive buzz about that product when it first came out, I don't hear as much about it. I think the network bridge not working well set some folks back.

The bridge is persnickedy. I have no doubt they will iron the bugs out. Non issue for me as I use the glorious "memory reader" transport. CD's sound great native (not upsampled). The fact that you can burn 24/192 wav's onto DVD for seemless playback is wonderful. It's a real bargain of a system all things considered.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing