The first Q3 review

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It that wasn't a rave review, I don't know the meaning of the word.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
"Tonally, the Q3s sounded dead neutral, as I would expectfrom seeing their pancake-flat frequency-response graphs -- there’s little ofinterest to report in that respect"

Below 1KHZ, it doesn't look "pancake-flat."

201108_magico_inr&#11.jpg

Will the speakers be sent to NRC for a fully set of measurements?

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
"Tonally, the Q3s sounded dead neutral, as I would expectfrom seeing their pancake-flat frequency-response graphs -- there’s little ofinterest to report in that respect"

Below 1KHZ, it doesn't look "pancake-flat."

View attachment 2107

Will the speakers be sent to NRC for a fully set of measurements?

Not in-room, but quasi-anechoic that I have seen.

These will not be sent to NRC. I hope that we can do Q1 measurements later in the year, though I would not be the reviewer for those and that review would be on our SoundStage! Hi-Fi site.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Jeff,
Very interesting review - immediately after reading it I felt obliged to look for my MFSL vinyl copy of Girl from Ipanema! I have no experience with the Gryphon's - do you thing that an amplifier such as the Audio Research REF150 coudl drive the Q3's? Since you have had the Alexandria's in the Music Vault before, and many of us have experience with them, how do you compare them with the Q3 in terms of tonality?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Jeff,
Since you have had the Alexandria's in the Music Vault before, and many of us have experience with them, how do you compare them with the Q3 in terms of tonality?
Great question.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Very nice review Jeff. At the recent California Audio Show I heard both the Q5 and then the Q3. The revelation you heard between the Q3 and the Tidal was the same I had comparing the Q5 to the Q3. The Q5 was beyond belief good whereas the Q3 was very good. Simply put if you're interested in buying the Q3 don't audition the Q5

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Jeff,
Very interesting review - immediately after reading it I felt obliged to look for my MFSL vinyl copy of Girl from Ipanema! I have no experience with the Gryphon's - do you thing that an amplifier such as the Audio Research REF150 coudl drive the Q3's? Since you have had the Alexandria's in the Music Vault before, and many of us have experience with them, how do you compare them with the Q3 in terms of tonality?

I have no direct experience with the ARC, but the 90dB sensitivity would indicate you should try it.

The Q3s were tonally neutral. As have been a number of other speakers such as the Rockports, Tidals, etc. To my ears the Q3s are more neutral than the Wilsons that I've had in this room.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Very nice review Jeff. At the recent California Audio Show I heard both the Q5 and then the Q3. The revelation you heard between the Q3 and the Tidal was the same I had comparing the Q5 to the Q3. The Q5 was beyond belief good whereas the Q3 was very good. Simply put if you're interested in buying the Q3 don't audition the Q5

Thanks a bunch, Steve. I'm not buying either, though. There are a number of other speakers I want to get in this year for review. The Kaisers after RMAF and I'm working on something else before then, too. Lots of speakers to work through.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I thought the Q3s were kind of cute at CAS, until I read in the review they were 250 Lbs apiece. I can't argue with a positive review, the Q3s image beautifully, and 90db efficiency is a very welcome figure. They are certainly worthy of an extended audition for audiophiles in this price league.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The Q5 was beyond belief good whereas the Q3 was very good. Simply put if you're interested in buying the Q3 don't audition the Q5

I am really confused. :confused::confused::confused:.
Can you be explain how you reached this conclusion? Beyond belief versus very is not very elucidating. :eek:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
How does the Q efficiency rate? Jeff, do you think it indeed hits 90db as claimed?
everyone says Q5 needs 500 watts, so never will work for me.

Tidals use of MDF in a 24k 2.5 way is pretty non-interesting. Not surprised at the comparison.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
How does the Q efficiency rate? Jeff, do you think it indeed hits 90db as claimed?
everyone says Q5 needs 500 watts, so never will work for me.

Tidals use of MDF in a 24k 2.5 way is pretty non-interesting. Not surprised at the comparison.

My guess is 87dB. Everyone adds 3dB for room gain these days. The Gryphon Colosseum has 160Wpc-into-8-ohms and I never ran out of headroom.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Jeff, nice review. But the immediate price increase of $5K since its introduction, for no apparent reason other than to allegedly ride the rave wave, leaves me cold...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Is Morel in Israel building their drivers?

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Is Morel in Israel building their drivers?

I'm told they are built on Magico tooling and overseen by someone from Magico, but at Morel's factory.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am really confused. :confused::confused::confused:.
Can you be explain how you reached this conclusion? Beyond belief versus very is not very elucidating. :eek:

Don't be confused. My analogy is the same as Jeff's when he talked about the Tidal speakers as being an excellent speaker BUT advised against auditioning the Q3 if you were going to buy the Tidal speakers.

IMO the Q5 is a magnificent speaker and was my 2nd favorite at the recent Cali Audio Show..

I heard the Q3 at the show immediately after I heard the Q5 and there was just no comparison.

I was at the show with Ron Party who, like myself felt that the Q3 just didn't energize the room to the same degree as the Q5 did and the Q3 was driven by ARC's latest Reference 250. The Q5 was driven by the $140K Constellation amps

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
What Steve said, except that he is being diplomatic. The question which we cannot answer with absolute certainty is why. Was it the ARC gear, the Q3, or some combination of both? I have a hard time believing it was the ARC gear (tho of course it is possible). Process of elimination for me leaves the speakers. I walked out thinking they simply cannot energize a large room. Tangentially related, for my taste the Q5 also left me wanting in the VLF.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing