Listening to your Music collection

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I was trying to find a title to this thread, that's the best I could find :)

My whole music collection is on two NAS (Network Attached Storage). I will add a third one just to be on the safe side. I am eternally grateful to HDD as a music storage as I lost my hard coded music collection twice; One in a flash flood in NY where I lost my entire LP collection which was then over 1500 LPs strong and recently my entire LP and CD collections. Most , not all of the CDs fortunately were ripped on a HDD which was retrieved and simply worked after a simple blast of compressed air...
I have decided not to go the analog route anyway so my music collection is on these aforementioned NAS.
I love the "What's spinning tonight thread". I check it from time to time and go buy many of the albums fellow members are listening to. And some albums are just wonderful. I also like the Prog Rock thread and the World Music thread..
So I have been acquiring albums and quite a lot of them .. I do that consistently. Amazon , CD Universe and all these online stores give a new meaning to impulse buying so.. there I may have added 100 or 200 or more CDs to my collection in a short time .. And there comes the problem.. I forget about many of them, not even knowing they were purchased... The drill is for me very simple. I buy the CDs, and promptly rip them to my NAS (es)... Cursory listening session but a fleeting one in many instances, while I am into something else either at work or at home... Some pieces may grab my attention and get a more thorough audition, many simply fly by without myself fully registering their existence or quality ...
What prompted me to write this thread was these following albums (among others):

I don't think it was recommended by anyone at the WBF but a cousin of mine who's a Sinatra fan talked me some time ago into listening to Sinatra. I bought this album, maybe a year or two at a second hand store (more about second hand or used later).. Ripped it , heard it (as opposed to listened to it) while doing some work and forgot its existence let alone presence in my collection. Last week I decided to go on a musical exploration and for some odd reasons got th this Sinatra album, the only Sinatra album in my collection by the way... so far.
I believe the recording was made in the 60's.. not sure... Fabulous recoding, fabulous ambiance, good music.. Frank well as good as they say he was ...Not being a Frank Sinatra connoisseur I can only reference my emotional response to the album: A great singer having some real fun and being daring .. An orchestra restrained and in control .. Good music ..
Point is I didn't even remember this album, thus I went on looking for some other albums I had acquired and to which I never listened or maybe not intently enough .. So another album came up

I have read about Joan Sutherland, even head her but never really paid attention to how good she was.. Yeah! my father thought a lot of her and yes I knew she was amongst the best ever but I was supposed not to like operas :) .. I find myself listening to the genre more than I have ever. Yet... call it contrary-ism, I would prefer, Maria Callas, Renee Fleming, Leontyne Price (How great can one person be) , Renata Tebaldi, etc... OMG, Sutherland is in that rarefied stratum ... No doubt , no discussions end of the debate...scrambling to find her recordings and to listen to them ... which brings me back to the fact that ..
Many of us audiophiles, despite claims to the contrary spend too little time listening to our music collection. I understand the reflexes, the tendencies and the impulses and I share them with you. The equipment, the tweaking, etc is fun .. but the music is there and just waiting to be listened to, to be cherished, enjoyed, shared and yes, part of it too, analyzed, its meaning and beauty made part of and enriching our lives ...
In conclusion , I invite you to dig back in your collection and listen to new things then share them with us, more . The ratio of Equipment threads to Music discussions thread to could well be 100:1, so we seem more inclined to discuss about equipment than what IMO matters most: Music .. Please tell us more about what you are listening , have listened to and why you liked them or not and what they brought you .. Part of the sharing.

P.S. So much music so little time ..If mods think this should be merged with the What's spinning tonight thread, i am all for it ...

Last edited:

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Agreed that 'Live at the Sands' is a fantastic recording. And the DVD-A stereo/surround disc is even better, and the surround mix does a really nice job of putting you in the club.

I've been streaming for years, mostly via Squeezeboxes and have come to rely on the 'New Music' setting -- calls up the last 25 or so CDs I've ripped which helps the inevitable falling by the wayside of many discs.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Frantz --

Hope this thread takes off because it's a terrific topic.

I really relate to your insight regarding hearing versus LISTENING. That's why I always listen to a new piece of music at least twice before shelving. If the pile of unshelved music grows, it's time to spend more time listening and less time buying!

As it happens, I recently found a mint mono version of the 'Sinatra At The Sands' LP and your assessment is spot on...a great LP. I even like his monologues, especially about Dino ;-). I've got Pete Hamill's ode to Sinatra sitting in the 'to be read' section of the bookshelf...may have to pull that one out this weekend.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Totally support listening!!! i have always enjoyed music...and yes, i enjoy listening to my system (as opposed to the music alone), as well. However, after getting my most recent speakers, i found that instead of looking for equipment...i went out on Amazon and bought 500cds over a period of months...nearly all for 3 dollars or less s/hand...and have been listening to and discovering MUSIC. That is, for me anyway, the point.

i have owned Sinatra Live at the Sands since 1993/1994...and it was actually my first Sinatra album...i have since gone on to buy the Reprise Recordings, the MFSL Lovers and another one (title escapes me just now)...really enjoy them.

I find a good system really really helps me appreciate the music, the nuances, the inflections from the violinist, the soloist, the orchestra. I now have certain music i like so much...i have a few different versions...and with a good system, i enjoy the comparisons of the MUSIC...i have learned something through this and through my system.

So Enjoy listening!!!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I can certainly relate to the feeling that you're not listening enough, and I listen a lot. But I became a jazz fan late in life...about 10 years ago...and had an awful lot to collect. Then there is my daughter turning me on to young bands and singer/songwriters, then, as if that was not enough to bring more music into the house than I could find quality time for, Spotify came to America. Yeah, it's compressed, but it's still pretty good and it's like having millions of songs on my hard drive. Someone mentions an artist I haven't heard, and I'm auditioning cuts across the entire body of work that evening. Powerful, powerful stuff.

And by the way Frantz, thanks for the reminder. I need to backup my backup tonight. :)

Tim

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Interesting thread. Part of my OCD characteristics shows up in my music purchases. I have downloaded about 10 or 15 new HD albums (and some non HD albums as well) in the last 30 days and have yet to hear any of them all the way through.

I probably have another 100 I have not heard all the way through as well. Part of this is happening due to the fact I am using a server. I'll be listening to some album, am then reminded of some other album and because it is so easy, switch to the next one.

This also happens to be a really busy time for me in my job so there is not a lot of time to just "listen". Plus, on the weekend, when my wife is home, what time we spend in the theater is watching movies.

Too many choices --- too little time !!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Interesting thread. Part of my OCD characteristics shows up in my music purchases. I have downloaded about 10 or 15 new HD albums (and some non HD albums as well) in the last 30 days and have yet to hear any of them all the way through.

I think you might be confusing OCD with ADD. :)

Tim

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Like most people here I'm extremely eclectic in my tastes: basically I'll listen to anything musical where the people involved were genuinely interested in what they trying to create, as against merely trying to make money. I have to say I'm pretty intolerant of much of the totally over produced, bellowing non-stop through the song, chanteuses of the last 10 years, I tried borrowing a couple of CDs of such from the local library and they left me dead in the water.

Apart from that I can go from extremely old opera to Status Quo to Beethoven String Quartets to Leadbelly in a heartbeat. It's the musical message I'm interested in, the texture it puts into the air ....

I'm particularly fond of finding a ultra cheap CD, with unknown performers, who do a brilliant job of getting their message through. Or a famous artist, known for a certain style, who does something completely at the other end of the scale: I'm thinking Suzie Quatro here ...

Frank

Last edited:

repman

Apr 2, 2011
Kennesaw, Ga
FrantzM , I can certainly appreciate the Live at The Sands album after hearing it in a late night listening session with the Scaena setup at Axpona / Atlanta 2011.

I was listening to Frank in the room what an experience!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
nice...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing