In-ceiling subs

twelti

WBF Technical Expert (Subwoofers In Rooms)
Apr 29, 2011
Has anyone had any experience, or have any opinions about in-ceiling subs? For example the Sonance Architectual Series BPS-1 subwoofer system.

http://www.sonance.com/products/speakers/detail/474

I like the idea of putting at least some subwoofers in locations other than along the walls, as we commonly do with in-floor standing or in-wall subs. I have not heard the Sonance subs or similar yet, but wondering about it. I would have to wonder about turbulence in the flexible duct at high levels. Still interesting....

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We have one of our Wisdom subs in the ceiling. With something like 7 subs, four of which were yours (JBL), we flat out ran to out of room and Keith Yates positioned that sub in the ceiling. You can see a picture of it in our theater:

You can see it near (then) unpainted/white part of the ceiling. It is a long black box.

We had to be careful in how hard we drove it as it is not corner loaded so its gain is lower. Other than that, the has been no issues at all. You can't localize it as being in the ceiling and the duct system next to it in the soffits is unaffected.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's insane.....insanely COOL.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Amir has the best toys, period. In my former life in audio retail, in our speaker studio, we had a bunch of subs sitting on very heavy racks. Not exactly in the ceiling, but a few feet up off the floor. I think they integrated a bit better, but that could be wishful thinking...or a completely different cause.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys :).

I checked at work and they have just done a residential project with Triad with 9 subs in the ceiling. They used Triad because they build them to our spec and then we program the Crown DSPs/amps to drive them appropriately.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Subs in the ceiling is a great idea. Don't often see it though because it is quite difficult to get a big sub in the ceiling! Practicality...even getting a 100lb sub up there is difficult. Of course if you custom design the subs and build the back boxes into the ceiling...well now you are talking...or maybe infinite baffle in the ceiling if you have an empty roof space above.

How DID you get them subs up there Amir?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Did you ask how? That is what we do :). My company does custom audio/video//control systems in addition to retail. We have a good size crew that is not scared of height and manhandling heavy things :).

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
I just completed a consulting job assisting the integrator...(9) Triad subs in ceiling. Turned out excellent with no disturbance to HVAC ducts. In fact, the one issue with the subs was at first thought to be duct-bourne noise. It turned out to be a lo-level hum from sub amps that was mitigated by tweaking the gain staging.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing