Cables for Magnepan

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Disclaimer: I am not a special cable proponent. I would suggest heavy gauge, however, as they are low impedance and despite their low reactance need decent amplifier control. I use 10 and 12 gauge cables in my system, some I have hada for years. If I was getting new I would go to Blue Jeans or Monoprice.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Anyone have any cable recommendations for Magnepan? I have Plinius gear and some 3.7's on order.

Congrats on the order! I just took delivery of a pair of 1.7's last week and they sound amazingly good. You'll love your new Maggies. I would suggest trying to keep metal content similar throughout your system between IC's and speaker cable. I use silver core throughout and silver litz is what's wired on my TecnoArm. I use a pair of King Cable Valab silver speaker cables from a boutique dealer and they sound very good and are reasonably priced. Rich also has quite a few of Kevin's cables throughout his system and I know he thinks highly of them as well.

Let us know when the 3.7's arrive. BTW, did your dealer advise you if they were back ordered. I was told they are a hit in Europe and the Far East and that Magnepan was having trouble keeping up.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A friend of mine had his Maggies 3.3 with Cardas - unhappily I do not remember the model - and was very pleased with them for many years. George Cardas was known to own Magnelanars - I do not know if he still has them.

Socrates7

Jul 21, 2011
parttimeaudiophile.com
I could see Cardas Clear being a good fit

... Even if they're pricey.

A couple of Maggie owners over on Computer Audiophile strongly recommend Nordost.

I'm probably going to start with Blue Jeans and add a different loom as I can afford them.

My 3.7 order went in back in April (bit of a lag there, due to demand I'm sure). Delivery should be this week.

Thanks for the recommendations

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
... Even if they're pricey.

A couple of Maggie owners over on Computer Audiophile strongly recommend Nordost.

I'm probably going to start with Blue Jeans and add a different loom as I can afford them.

My 3.7 order went in back in April (bit of a lag there, due to demand I'm sure). Delivery should be this week.

Thanks for the recommendations

Do the cables have to be new? You can usually get a great deal on used cables at Audiogon, Stereolist, etc. Sometimes dealers like upscaleaudio have nice deals too.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Cables that I have used with my various Maggies include Cardas Golden Reference and Kimber 8TC, both excellent. I have not had much luck with Audioquest, even the better models. If you have a bi-wire capable pair, I find the Kimber internal biwires work really well.

Next on my list to try is Cardas Clear. I've tried various Blue Jeans cables and they really don't sound as good as the more expensive stuff. I wish that wasn't true but that was my experience.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I've always used MIT on my Magnepans, from the original MIT 750 to the MIT Magnum, to the MIT Oracle. I just acquired some Daniel Hertz speaker cables that I intend to try on my Magnepan 1.6.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
this is an interesting thread---from Cardas to Nordost. i can't think of two different cables.

either Maggies aren't cable sensitive, or people's taste differ dramatically.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
this is an interesting thread---from Cardas to Nordost. i can't think of two different cables.

either Maggies aren't cable sensitive, or people's taste differ dramatically.

Or people's choices in equipment varies and choose that cable that brings out the strengths or makes up for the weaknesses elsewhere in the system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing