WBF Search Engine: no 2-3 letter terms (CJ, ARC, GAT, ART, MXR, EVO, JBL, 402...)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just a suggestion on the search engine...i am surprised (particularly given audio) that the search engine does not allow for 3 letters: when you search for ARC, GAT, MBL, CJ, the search function cannot do it.

Given our proclivity as audiophiles to use these well-understood short-form names...it would be great to be able use the search engine to pull them up.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I help moderate another forum (trumpet, not audio) and we have the same problem. If so, it is a problem with the underlying BB search engine, no easy fix. The best way I have found to search any site is to use Google and append site:<site_url> to the search to restrict the search to the named site.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Don's correct. The search engine in the forum relies on indexing in MySQL database. There is a parameter in there that sets the limit. I suspect they set it high so that it doesn't index silly words like "it," a" etc. The best solution is what Don mentions which is to use Google externally.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I help moderate another forum (trumpet, not audio) and we have the same problem. If so, it is a problem with the underlying BB search engine, no easy fix. The best way I have found to search any site is to use Google and append site:<site_url> to the search to restrict the search to the named site.
Thanks...i did not realize you could do that. so i just type the following into the search box of Google?: "ARC" and <www.whatsbestforum.com>

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
thanks!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you are as lazy as me you just type "ARC site:arc site:whatsbestforum.com" :eek:

Or use the google advanced search window and type whatsbestforum.com in the "Search within a site or domain" box.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing