Any experince with Audio Note DACs?

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I have listen to a AN DAC3.1 and it was very good. I use my Nagra CDP as transport and the sound was equal good as the Nagra in itself (which has the best CDP sound I have ever listen to) but a bit different.
I consider buying the bigger brother DAC 4.1LE in kit form (1/3 af the factory built product)-

Anyone with experince of AN DACs and of the kits?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think Vince is one of the people with experience here if I am not mistaken. Do a forum search and find his posts and mods.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ulf,

Check on A'Gon...there is someone with a nice rig...Wilson Alexandria speakers, Clearaudio Master Reference...i think who uses AN DAC 5 (or used to).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks for the link
I am sure the DAC 5 sign is THE Dac to own The only problem is it 60000USD price tag and you cannot buy it in Kit.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Ulf

I've been listening to an Audio Note 4.1X Balanced DAC for a few years and am quite fond of it. The transports are Forsell Air Reference Mk. II and Esoteric P-0s. :cool:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the link
I am sure the DAC 5 sign is THE Dac to own The only problem is it 60000USD price tag and you cannot buy it in Kit.
Hi Ulf, there are some great posts in Audiogon on DACs...i think there is one called Reference DACS: A Perspective...or something like that. buried in there, you will find some discussion about the AN 5 v Zanden and other high-end tubed DACS as well as Accuphase, etc. i think there was some thought from those who had heard the AN 5 it might be a touch softer than they might (personally) have preferred in comparison to these other dacs which were still expensive 20K...but still 1/3 of the AN 5.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have listen to a AN DAC3.1 and it was very good. I use my Nagra CDP as transport and the sound was equal good as the Nagra in itself (which has the best CDP sound I have ever listen to) but a bit different.
I consider buying the bigger brother DAC 4.1LE in kit form (1/3 af the factory built product)-

Anyone with experince of AN DACs and of the kits?

Hi Ulf,

Haven't heard the newest AN DACs but many years ago, reviewed the DAC3 for TAS when no one else wanted it and it was sitting on HP's shelves. The DAC3 was for its time, the first DAC/digital product that I could listen to. I always wanted to get the newer models but at that time AN was between distributors.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I have ordered the Kit and have a guy who can build it. Perhaps using Nagra CDP as transport would be an overkill. Besides Esoteric transport I consider a used CECTIX. Belt drive. Any comments on that transport?
Belts slacks over time. Is theer spare belts to this "old" transport?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The transports are Forsell Air Reference Mk. II and Esoteric P-0s

The Forsell Air Transport is really a great transport. I have owned an MK3 and, retrospectively, consider a mistake having sold it. But at the time everyone reported that the integrated player was the correct way of avoiding jitter in SPDIF and the Forsell went to France. The guy who bought it for me got if for modification and re-sale. Much later he emailed me that my transport was the best sounding he ever got ...

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Glad I still have mine, Micro...

The Forsell Air Transport is really a great transport. I have owned an MK3 and, retrospectively, consider a mistake having sold it. But at the time everyone reported that the integrated player was the correct way of avoiding jitter in SPDIF and the Forsell went to France. The guy who bought it for me got if for modification and re-sale. Much later he emailed me that my transport was the best sounding he ever got ...

I had Elliot Midwood work on my Forsell so I could use an AES/EBU cable. As Elliot conveyed to me, my Forsell would not operate simultaneously with BNC and AES/EBU platforms. My understanding is Dr. Peter Forsell recommended operation via BNC.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I've been listening to an Audio Note 4.1X Balanced DAC for a few years and am quite fond of it. The transports are Forsell Air Reference Mk. II and Esoteric P-0s. :cool:
Hi Sam, What are your thoughts on the Esoteric P-Os compared to today's top transports? i am always curious to know since in my experience sometimes older references are clearly surpassed...and other times, not surpassed or barely surpassed...but at a price that is well in excess of s/hand.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Greetings, Lloyd

Hi Sam, What are your thoughts on the Esoteric P-Os compared to today's top transports? i am always curious to know since in my experience sometimes older references are clearly surpassed...and other times, not surpassed or barely surpassed...but at a price that is well in excess of s/hand.

I can really only furnish informed comment on the P-0s and Forsell Air Reference. I've heard various DAC/transport combinations; however, I would be unable to distill the specific contribution by the digital front end from the unique experience in toto.

The Forsell is a very fine transport and couples well with the AN DAC. The P-0s is another marvel, altogether :) It features options that remain unexplored by me -- for instance, an external word clock sync interface that is incompatible with Audio Note (no external clocks with AN). Perhaps, the ultimate obstacle precluding the zenith of performance with the P-0s is that I have no facility for Japanese...the exquisite manual yields precious little meaning for me :( There are buttons on here that I have absolutely NO IDEA as to their function - LOL.

I believe you have a Zanden...didn't Zanden have an I2S interface with its transport?

As it stands presently, my digital front end comprises 4 boxes -- CD transport, transport PS, 117V --> 100V step-down transformer, and AN DAC -- and 8 sundry cables...but, who's counting :rolleyes:;)

My strategy, Lloyd -- wherever possible, is to purchase top-flight current production and vintage gear via secondary market...it's the only practical method for me ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I agree 110% with your last point!!! i have done exactly the same...it has taken a lot of patience to do it, but it was been well worth the investment of time to dramatically reduce the investment of dollars! yes, the zanden has an i2s interface...i will either go with a s/hand zanden transport, or am considering the new msb transport....which is using an oppo 93 base, and then takes any digital signal from virtually any interface and then completely reclocks it, submits it to solid state memory and apparently reproduces the digital signal with a few picoseconds of jitter before it comes thru to your DAC. given the rave reviews of the DAC...i am trying to learn more about this transport to see if it does what it claims to do.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I agree 110% with your last point!!! i have done exactly the same...it has taken a lot of patience to do it, but it was been well worth the investment of time to dramatically reduce the investment of dollars! yes, the zanden has an i2s interface...i will either go with a s/hand zanden transport, or am considering the new msb transport....which is using an oppo 93 base, and then takes any digital signal from virtually any interface and then completely reclocks it, submits it to solid state memory and apparently reproduces the digital signal with a few picoseconds of jitter before it comes thru to your DAC. given the rave reviews of the DAC...i am trying to learn more about this transport to see if it does what it claims to do.

I'm not current on the msb product line...let us know which way you go :)
If it were me and I already had a Zanden DAC, I would opt for the companion transport with i2s :cool:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, i agree C1F. i am tempted to find one s/hand (at a reasonable price...whatever that means!). and with 1,000 CDs i am probably ok just using it to play my redbook. however, if i thought the MSB would allow me to compete with Zanden (even quite closely)...but also use digital server, ipod and get comparable jitter free streams to my DAC...plus play blu-ray movies...and buy one brand new for less than the lowest price i have yet to see a Zanden Transport trade for...well, i would say that too is going to tempt me!

Funny...at the moment, since i do not like upgrading in increments (only in big steps which last me for years)...i have been using an oppo blu-ray transport to my Zanden via a nordost valhalla digicable i got used. (the last transport was a $60 dvd player).

i have purposely been waiting so when i plunk down serious money, it will last me for several years...the transport and digital has been the toughest to do that for so many reasons.

i will keep you posted.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden

Both transport are old and I know there been problems with Forsell gears in general getting spare parts. Can you find spare parts (laser etc) to P-0s? Both transport looks amazing and I am sure they still are among the best.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Lol

Both transport are old and I know there been problems with Forsell gears in general getting spare parts. Can you find spare parts (laser etc) to P-0s? Both transport looks amazing and I am sure they still are among the best.

I prefer vintage, hehe :D
I imagine you may be correct pertinent to spare parts...
Dunno about lasers for the P-0s...never attempted to source them :cool:
By any chance, can you read Japanese :confused::rolleyes: --just playin :p

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
It would appear

Yes, i agree C1F. i am tempted to find one s/hand (at a reasonable price...whatever that means!). and with 1,000 CDs i am probably ok just using it to play my redbook. however, if i thought the MSB would allow me to compete with Zanden (even quite closely)...but also use digital server, ipod and get comparable jitter free streams to my DAC...plus play blu-ray movies...and buy one brand new for less than the lowest price i have yet to see a Zanden Transport trade for...well, i would say that too is going to tempt me!

Funny...at the moment, since i do not like upgrading in increments (only in big steps which last me for years)...i have been using an oppo blu-ray transport to my Zanden via a nordost valhalla digicable i got used. (the last transport was a $60 dvd player).

i have purposely been waiting so when i plunk down serious money, it will last me for several years...the transport and digital has been the toughest to do that for so many reasons.

i will keep you posted.

that the MSB offers greater flexibility/compatibility for various digital platforms...extremely cool :cool:
Tough decision :confused:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing