Great innovation in string trimmers: Stihl FSA 85 review

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have a love/hate relationship with string trimmers. As an organic gardener, it is a great tool to cut things that you can't pull (or too tired to pull as in my case :) ). The love comes from the fact that in a few minutes I can obliterate so much vegetation. The hate comes from the aggravations of using them:

1. Gas operated. I have a high-power wheeled string trimmer. This thing is a beast and cuts through anything. The problem is, it cuts through anything! It routinely breaks sprinkler heads and such. It is also a handful at times although for cleaning massive amount of brush, it is a godsend.

2. Corded electric. I have had a few of these. They ones I have are the cheaper ones and they never perform well. But even if they did, dragging that long cord is just not practical.

3. Cordless electric. I bought the Black and Decker (18v?) Lithium one a couple of years ago. I have four batteries for it. And the darn thing goes through all of them before I am done. It also lacks power severely. Anything but the thinnest vegetation causes it to bog down. Tall grass also wraps around unit and doesn't get cut.

Faced with two houses with 1+ acre lots, I went looking for something new and landed on this latest string trimmer from Stihl: http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FSA85.html

It comes in two variations, the FSA65 and FSA85. I got the latter as it has a longer straight shaft and 14 inch cutting circle instead of 13. And variable speed. Cost difference is only $40.

The big story is this: power, power, power. The unit is whisper quiet while not cutting. So you immediately think it is a wimp. But push it toward whatever you need cut and the thing roars and cuts like there is no tomorrow. It is as if it get angry when something resists being cut! The tone becomes lower (but still no where near too loud) and it tears things up including thick weeds that are quarter inch thick.

I suspect the unit has internal feedback/servo control to maintain speed and torque and hence the reason that there is no slow down whatsoever.

Battery life is excellent. I got the smaller batter as it was $100 cheaper and the high-power charger gets it to full charge in 30 minutes, and 80% in 20 minutes. It is startling how fast the charger gets it back up. No sooner than you finish a beverage resting between cutting and you can do it again.

The unit is designed to go 95% of the way at full speed and power. For the last 5%, it seems to slow down a bit and then it stops. It never has the gradual drop that Black and Decker has which sadly, starts almost as soon as you use it. For almost entire charge of the battery, you have the same aggressive power I explained above.

I managed to cut 12+ inch tall grass around our entire yard of 1 acres before the battery gave out.

I never had variable speed in a trimmer and thought it would be of no use. But it is surprisingly useful. I can run slow near tree trunks and delicate objects. Running slower also sharply increases battery life.

The string head is a dual unit with bump feed. I find that I can't always get it to feed after I bump but once I start cutting, it then pulls the string out.

Yes, it is still work cutting things. But as grass trimmers go, this thing is so darn near perfect.

Now the bad news. The trimmer is $300 (the smaller one is $250). The high-speed charger is $89 (standard one is $49). The smaller battery is $150. The large capacity one is, are you sitting?, $260! My complete system set me back ~$520.

That is one heck of a lot of money to spend on a trimmer compared to $30 units. What can I say, good things in life aren't always cheap :). For the amount of yard maintenance I do, it is well worth it. So much so that I might get a second one for the other house!

If you are dealing with smell, noise and vibration of two-stroke trimmers or are tired of dragging a cord with you, you should give this a try. It is the best innovation I have seen in string trimmers.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Amir,

I'm contemplating purchase...how's it working out a couple of years later?
Thanks.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I have a Stihl gas powered commercial model, and it's a pretty hardcore machine. Fortunately for my neighbors, I tend to sleep in on weekends, so they are spared the noise at 6:00AM. (I wish they would return the favor.) Anyway, the quiet Stihl is worth a look-see because my wife could use it, not that she would. Thanks for posting about it because hope springs eternal. :D

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Win, Amir,

Thanks. I'll to a Stihl dealer, tomorrow. Hopefully, they'll have both FSA 65 and 85 available :cool:

Rico

Nov 27, 2015
I am retired and living on 4 acres. I bought a gas brushcutter to clear the land and worked 4 hours a day to get it done. I stopped after 4 hours to allow the tingles in my hand to subside. The Brushcutter is dying on me and I'm faced with the choice of replacements. I'm leaning towards the FSA 85 because I no longer have to worry about saplings or over thick stuff. I like the grab and go nature of this product and recharge time is not an issue. I believe that the lower maintenance costs will go a long way to recoup my expense. I'm off to the stores tomorrow to compare prices and I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you all for the reviews.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
With two homes, I wound up buying another set :). What a joy they are compared to gas units. I had to spend $230 on repairs of my big gas unit because it had gummed up too much.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
My gas powered Stihl has the familiar two-cycle vibration... As I get older it activates some old nerve damage and my arm and hand get numb and shaky. As a result I use it less, and hire out more. I'd prefer to do more myself—are the models (current equivalents) significantly different in vibration? If so, I'll look to replace my gas powered unit right away. (The cost of a new unit vs hiring out makes it easy to justify.)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I have a gas-powered Stihl trimmer, I don't have a yard so to speak, it's more of a garden so it'll all I have for a mower. Nice machine, I was going to go electric but the new gas motors seemed to overcome their normal issues... it's easy to start, not too loud, not too much vibration, the exhaust doesn't stink.... A gallon of fuel will last me several years, no batteries to die after a few years either.

Rico

Nov 27, 2015
I have a gas-powered Stihl trimmer, I don't have a yard so to speak, it's more of a garden so it'll all I have for a mower. Nice machine, I was going to go electric but the new gas motors seemed to overcome their normal issues... it's easy to start, not too loud, not too much vibration, the exhaust doesn't stink.... A gallon of fuel will last me several years, no batteries to die after a few years either.

A gallon of fuel will last several years? I'm a little confused, please explain.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
A gallon of fuel will last several years? I'm a little confused, please explain.

It doesn't go through fuel quickly, a couple ounces each time I use it, so a gallon will last a long time. The Stihl gas is expensive but it already has the oil blended into it and is stabilized to last longer.

Rico

Nov 27, 2015
It doesn't go through fuel quickly, a couple ounces each time I use it, so a gallon will last a long time. The Stihl gas is expensive but it already has the oil blended into it and is stabilized to last longer.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to update. I got my hands on a walk behind trimmer. 5.5 HP with two large wheels and a loop style plate that allows me to double up on the nylon line for tough cuts. The engine is four stroke which means the oil and gas are self contained like in a car.

This thing is a cross between a brush cutter and a lawn mower. I do not have the vibration problem of a brush cutter and I can trim and cut the grass with the same tool. I have the convenience I want with the range I need.

I hope this help others in finding a lawn care tool that is effective and will not cause health problems.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What is its brand Rico? The one I have vibrates and sadly its B&S motor constantly gums up requiring service :(. I just can't stand gasoline based engines for infrequent chores like trimming grass. I spend more time fixing the darn engines that using them for work!

Rico

Nov 27, 2015
What is its brand Rico? The one I have vibrates and sadly its B&S motor constantly gums up requiring service :(. I just can't stand gasoline based engines for infrequent chores like trimming grass. I spend more time fixing the darn engines that using them for work!

Hi amirm. It's a Cub Cadet Model 25A-262J710. I have 4 acres to care for and I just love this thing. I used to have to put on heavy clothes to use the brush cutter but because of the distance to the working end of the trimmer, I can just about wear anything.

I try to use up the gas within a month to avoid problems. I also follow the maintenance regimen. Perhaps the engine is loose? Do you have a good mechanic you can bring yours to before buying new?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Rico. Yes I have a good mechanic. He brought mines back to life for $230 only to have it die again three months later! He said you had to religiously use these once a month or the float pivot gums up and it stops working. I know how to service these things myself too but I just don't want to put my time into that sort of thing.

Rico

Nov 27, 2015
Thanks Rico. Yes I have a good mechanic. He brought mines back to life for $230 only to have it die again three months later! He said you had to religiously use these once a month or the float pivot gums up and it stops working. I know how to service these things myself too but I just don't want to put my time into that sort of thing.

I wonder if a product like gum out would help?

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
I wonder if a product like gum out would help?
The problem most people have with 2 cycle engines is caused by using ethanol blended gasoline that pulls moisture in from the air. The Stihl gas is 100% gas (plus the required oil). I ended up getting a 5 gallon metal container of "real gas" from a local station and have had zero gas related problems since then. Ethanol blends are fine if you're constantly using the tool... if it sits in your shed a few weeks between uses then you're going to have problems. This "sitting around" restriction also applies to your gas can.

Rico

Nov 27, 2015
The problem most people have with 2 cycle engines is caused by using ethanol blended gasoline that pulls moisture in from the air. The Stihl gas is 100% gas (plus the required oil). I ended up getting a 5 gallon metal container of "real gas" from a local station and have had zero gas related problems since then. Ethanol blends are fine if you're constantly using the tool... if it sits in your shed a few weeks between uses then you're going to have problems. This "sitting around" restriction also applies to your gas can.

I agree that gas sitting around unused is a major cause of failure. I never buy more gas than I can use in one week. With 4 acres I have to clear about one acre a day. I don't buy the gas till I need it and I use it all up. I would think the manufacturers would address this issue but no.

I've just come off a rainy few months and the grass got too high for me to clear it on my normal schedule so I hired a tractor to come in and clear the land. This works well and has great benefits.

My walk behind string trimmer is working out well and there is a new generation of battery powered brush cutters (50 volt) that have more power and longer run times while being cheaper than the Sthil offering. I'm glad I waited.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing