Pizza Time!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
After stopping by the local Z-pizza chain resturaunt I decided to have some home made pizza. I used my sourdough recipe and made some pies.

I used Romanella pizza sauce,Mozzarella,sharp provolone,hot coppa,salami,onion,mushroom,olive,and some anchovy. It was like eating pizza and sourdough bread at the same time.

My Miele oven was pre-heated for an hour at 550 degrees with a thick pizza stone. The oven spring was excellant.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's really nice! It is quite an achievement to get the crust to brown up and bubble that way in a home oven.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
That's really nice! It is quite an achievement to get the crust to brown up and bubble that way in a home oven.

Roger

If it tastes as good as it looks you've hit a home run and consider starting your own franchise

Amir and Steve thank you!

Amir the one great thing about the Miele oven is that using the surround bake mode with the stone it can get to about 600 degrees and that's all the temp you really need. The pies were cooked for 9 minutes and the 2nd one could have been taken out a little sooner. I personally like a dark bake.

Steve, up in Reno there's only one good place to get pizza and that is Sonny's Italian resturaunt. He was closed on Monday when I tried Z pizza, not bad but not anywhere close to the kind of pizza I'm use to eating. That's what I get for growing up in the Bay Area,you get spoiled. If I was younger I might think about about trying a boutique bread and pizza shop, as my Uncle has told me my bread is better than anything he can get over in the east bay.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Our Dacor in the primary home barely gets to 500. So cooking time is 11 to 13 minutes and worse with the second and third batch.

Our wood fired oven does the same in 90-120 seconds! :D Dome temp gets to 1,000 degrees+ (maxes out the temp gun). We keep the floor temp at 650 or so.

We have a new dough recipe which is amazingly light and is based on some whole wheat flour we grind ourselves. I plan to do a write-up one day on the whole affair.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Our Dacor in the primary home barely gets to 500. So cooking time is 11 to 13 minutes and worse with the second and third batch.

Our wood fired oven does the same in 90-120 seconds! :D Dome temp gets to 1,000 degrees+ (maxes out the temp gun). We keep the floor temp at 650 or so.

We have a new dough recipe which is amazingly light and is based on some whole wheat flour we grind ourselves. I plan to do a write-up one day on the whole affair.

Amir that would be great to read about you home ground flour. I have thought about getting a out door oven,but I would have to find a suitable type to setup on my deck. A pizza nuked in 90-120 seconds,don't blink or you'll have charcoal for dinner.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
RogerD's Sourdough Pizza

"The only noise you'll hear is YUMMMMMM"

Sign me up for the franchise Rog!

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
RogerD's Sourdough Pizza

"The only noise you'll hear is YUMMMMMM"

Sign me up for the franchise Rog!

Hi Jack,

Looks like I might have to reconsider the franchise thing! Thanks!

oops did it on Gary's again

Roger

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I haven't made pizza in a while and my friend Jim the restaurateur and pizza maker closed his doors after 10 years in business. So I have to make my own to get good pizza in Reno.

This pie had all kinds of italian cheeses and salami,sopressata, toscano salami,and italian hot sausage among other goodies. It was cooked at 550 degrees for 9 minutes and was killer.

Pizza time!

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I haven't made pizza in a while and my friend Jim the restaurateur and pizza maker closed his doors after 10 years in business. So I have to make my own to get good pizza in Reno.

This pie had all kinds of italian cheeses and salami,sopressata, toscano salami,and italian hot sausage among other goodies. It was cooked at 550 degrees for 9 minutes and was killer.

Pizza time!

Hi Rog,

The Pizza looks great. As we have said many a time on the telephone, too bad we are about 2500 miles apart to get together and sharing our audio interests and eating, in this case Pizza.

Rich

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Rog,

The Pizza looks great. As we have said many a time on the telephone, too bad we are about 2500 miles apart to get together and sharing our audio interests and eating, in this case Pizza.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the good word. We would have a wonderful time,great food ,good wine and the best in sound,you can't ask for more to share with friends,one of us has to move!,lol.

Lorrie

Nov 14, 2012
Whoa dude, is there any topper you dont have on there? That looks incredible!!! Im alot hungrier now than before I looked at this post

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com

I am a believer in simple toppings for pizza. This allows each ingredient to be more assertive :) This one is a mushroom, taleggio, and chermoula pizza. The mushrooms are first sauteed with some thyme, olive oil, and a dash of pernod. The taleggio accentuates the earthiness of the mushrooms, the Pernod adds a slight bitter note, while the chermoula (which is sprinkled on after cooking) lightens it up with a hint of lemon. The pizza is mis-shapen because I believe that the dough should be pushed out by hand rather than rolled out with a pin.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That looks like some California foo-foo pizza that would get you arrested in Italy if you tried to sell it as pizza. I would jump over 10 of these in order to eat a cold Big Mac.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looks great Keith! I usually do the mushrooms in our wood fired pizza oven first and then top the Pizza with it. I only put salt an pepper plus some olive oil. The wood fire provides the rest of the flavor :). I will have to try your recipe though. As always, you are the chef and we are the cooks. :).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Anyone have a good basic pizza sauce recipe they want to share?

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Thanks Amir!

Anyone have a good basic pizza sauce recipe they want to share?

I have two recipes - one for when tomatoes are in season, the other for when they aren't. Both recipes only use tomato and nothing else.

If you can't get fresh tomatoes, use 2x 400g can of whole tomatoes. Seperate the tomatoes from the liquid. Boil the liquid down. The tomatoes will continue to weep fluid - add the fluid to the pot. Remove the skin from the tomatoes while waiting. When the liquid starts to form big bubbles (a sign that most of the water has boiled off), add the drained tomatoes. If you would like a coarser texture, mash with a potato masher or fork. For a finer texture, give it a few whizzes with a stick blender. I do not recommend adding the whole can and boiling it, because it will bubble and spit tomato sauce all over your kitchen. Taste and adjust with salt as required.

If you have fresh tomatoes, peel 1kg of tomatoes and remove the seeds. Salt the seeds and leave it on a strainer (Heston's trick) - the liquid that oozes out is full of tomato flavour. Heat your oven to 100C, spread some olive oil on a roasting tray, and roast your tomatoes for 90 minutes, turning your tomatoes halfway. When done, discard the seeds and add the roasted tomatoes along with the seed liquid into a pot. Give it a few pulses with a stick blender (or mash with a potato masher) and bring to the boil. When hot, add the vines of the tomato and allow to cool down. Taste and adjust with salt as required.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If you can't get fresh tomatoes, use 2x 400g can of whole tomatoes. Seperate the tomatoes from the liquid. Boil the liquid down. The tomatoes will continue to weep fluid - add the fluid to the pot. Remove the skin from the tomatoes while waiting. When the liquid starts to form big bubbles (a sign that most of the water has boiled off), add the drained tomatoes. If you would like a coarser texture, mash with a potato masher or fork. For a finer texture, give it a few whizzes with a stick blender. I do not recommend adding the whole can and boiling it, because it will bubble and spit tomato sauce all over your kitchen. Taste and adjust with salt as required.

Easy-peasy! Thank you Keith!

Besides the obvious choice of Mozzarella, what other choices for cheese would you recommend?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing