Vtl 7.5 Mk II to III upgrade

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
version IV i'm sure will put in 6H30s---so all these top flight preamps are pretty much identical :)

interesting discussion guys---didn't realize so may guys are using fewer tubes and more SS to get "more detail" or whatever. i wonder if this trend will reverse in the future (ie. why buy tubes if they sound SS). fwiw, i just had an ARC LS25 older linestage in my system and the FET based power seemed flat and non-organic. i wonder if this gets better at the Ref level, which used to use tube rectifiers (not sure about 3, 5 or Ann).

Miles- how big was the ART difference from series 2 to 3? Maybe the 2 is what i need to wait for used. the build quality on those pieces just seems hands down better than what is out today.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
version IV i'm sure will put in 6H30s---so all these top flight preamps are pretty much identical :)

interesting discussion guys---didn't realize so may guys are using fewer tubes and more SS to get "more detail" or whatever. i wonder if this trend will reverse in the future (ie. why buy tubes if they sound SS). fwiw, i just had an ARC LS25 older linestage in my system and the FET based power seemed flat and non-organic. i wonder if this gets better at the Ref level, which used to use tube rectifiers (not sure about 3, 5 or Ann).

Miles- how big was the ART difference from series 2 to 3? Maybe the 2 is what i need to wait for used. the build quality on those pieces just seems hands down better than what is out today.

Keith,

I would not be so sure. :eek: Just because you found two top preamplifiers using SS cathode followers you can not generalize. IMHO, they are the exception, not the rule in tube preamplifiers.

ARC, Lamm, Allnic Audio, Atmasphere, Audio Inovations, BAT, Reimyo, just to nominate a few very expensive tube preamplifiers still use tubes in their output stages.

BTW, also IMHO, such thing as the 6h30 sound does not exist - I have owned cj's with 6h30 (ACT2 s1 and s2) and they sound quite different from ARC implementations, such as the REF3, REF5 and Anniversary REF40.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Keith,

I would not be so sure. :eek: Just because you found two top preamplifiers using SS cathode followers you can not generalize. IMHO, they are the exception, not the rule in tube preamplifiers.

ARC, Lamm, Allnic Audio, Atmasphere, Audio Inovations, BAT, Reimyo, just to nominate a few very expensive tube preamplifiers still use tubes in their output stages.

BTW, also IMHO, such thing as the 6h30 sound does not exist - I have owned cj's with 6h30 (ACT2 s1 and s2) and they sound quite different from ARC implementations, such as the REF3, REF5 and Anniversary REF40.

I think the Allnic is transformer coupled. And think there's a few others too. Here's from the Hammertone Audio site:

Me Kang su Park does not rest on his laurels. He has built an upgraded L3000 (formerly L4000) This unit possesses the new output transformers. The end result is a more refined presentation with masculinity. Wider bandwidth resulting a larger sound stage, smoother top end, greater sense of dynamic ease with increased low low level resolution. This easy to install upgrade is available if you already possess L4000 or L3000. Price is $1000.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Now that's a reasonably priced upgrade.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
$500 per channel for quality transformers? Yeah. Not bad at all.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
$500 per channel for quality transformers? Yeah. Not bad at all.

I assume they're the nickel permalloy transformers though Albert may know more.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing