Anyone with experience or thoughts on Audio Research's new KT 120 tubes?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Dave Gordon at ARC recommended I check out the KT 120 since I am having my ARC VT-100 amp serviced and retubed.

Anyone have any thoughts on this tube versus the old ARC 6550?

I'm curious but past experience has suggested that tube upgrades at ARC are very carefully considered.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thank you Steve. My apologies for forgetting the search function.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have heard the Ref210s with KT120 and they sounded more powerful and dynamic than using the original 6550Cs. Our ARC dealer reports similar effects from the REF110.

I still did not find any report of tube life of the KT120. ARC usually operates their 6550C tubes at 65 mA and quote a typical lifetime of 2000 hours in their manuals, although some people report a longer time. Surely it depends a lot on speakers and typical sound levels. Will the KT120 last longer?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
According to Dave Gordon, it is a more durable tube and he also mentioned some improved richness in the mids.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Which manufacturer makes the KT120 for ARC

AFAIK, the Tung Sol KT120 is manufactured at the New Sensor factory in St. Petersburg, and there are no other sources.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If ARC recommends the KT-120 for their amps, I wouldn't hesitate to try them. ARC has very high standards for the tubes they use and ARC is very conservative.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I was at the California Audio Show yesterday and one of the local dealers here in the SF Bay Area was running ARC's latest Reference amp the 250 which not only replaced the 210T but also the Ref610T as ARC feels that not only is the amp better than both of these but also is the best amp they have ever built. Also the dealer commented that the amp was made to run KT120's and in fact was being played at the show with these tubes

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I was at the California Audio Show yesterday and one of the local dealers here in the SF Bay Area was running ARC's latest Reference amp the 250 which not only replaced the 210T but also the Ref610T as ARC feels that not only is the amp better than both of these but also is the best amp they have ever built. Also the dealer commented that the amp was made to run KT120's and in fact was being played at the show with these tubes

I wonder what makes it the best amp they ever built?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Is ARC really saying it's the best amp they ever built or is the dealer saying that ARC is saying that it's the best amp they ever built?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I just checked ARC's website and they are still listing the REF 210 and 610. The new amp is not even on their web page. So if ARC is touting the new amp as the best they ever built, they are doing it in private.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Good Question but it did sound very good Mark and was listed at $25,590 as compared to the 610T which are almost double the price.

How good? Please give us more than just two words... :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I wish I could. He was playing the amps through the Magico Q3 and having just left the room where they were playing the Q5. I was somewhat underwhelmed as I felt the room was just too big for the speaker. He was also using the new ARC Ref2 Phonostage as well as Ref40 Preamp and the vinyl sounded very good. There was a big crowd in the room so honestly I can't say much about the amp except to say that it looks the same as the others

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I wish I could. He was playing the amps through the Magico Q3 and having just left the room where they were playing the Q5. I was somewhat underwhelmed as I felt the room was just too big for the speaker. He was also using the new ARC Ref2 Phonostage as well as Ref40 Preamp and the vinyl sounded very good. There was a big crowd in the room so honestly I can't say much about the amp except to say that it looks the same as the others

I was underwhelmed by the Q5 in a small hotel room at the Rocky Mountain show. I'm not convinced they are "all that and a bag of chips".

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Wow. the Ref 250 is not even on the ARC database site yet. Cool.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing