Athan Corp.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just got the rebuilt motors back from Athan Corp. for one of the Studer A80RC rigs. Can't wait to put this thing back together. Can't say enough about the service and shipping. This is a top grade company. I encourage everyone that has a Studer/Ampex/Otari to get your reel/capstan motors rebuilt by these guys. You will essentially have a brand new machine!

Attachments

• IMG_1603sm..jpg
    IMG_1603sm..jpg
    168 KB · Views: 1,059

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Just got the rebuilt motors back from Athan Corp. for one of the Studer A80RC rigs. Can't wait to put this thing back together. Can't say enough about the service and shipping. This is a top grade company. I encourage everyone that has a Studer/Ampex/Otari to get your reel/capstan motors rebuilt by these guys. You will essentially have a brand new machine!

Bruce,

Those are DC motors? Does Athan rebuild AC motors?

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
With those Extended Frequency Response Flux Magnetic heads and now the rebuilt motors from Athan... your A80RC MkII is as good or better than when it left the Swiss factory... I am almost getting all bothered and hot looking at the fresh capstan. Sweet!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Has Anyone Tried Their Pinch Rollers

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I share Ki Choi jealousy for the fresh capstan. Unhappily sending the motors to Athan from Europe costs a fortune - customs and shipping will easily cost more than the service.
Recently I got an almost new working spare A80 capstan motor at a reasonable price, but the capstan does not look so nice as the one shown in the picture.

kipdent

Sep 25, 2010
Absolutely concur on the outstanding work from Athan. I drooled at my brand-new looking A80 capstan after the service (which took about a week in my case). Their pinch roller is great, too--very easy to maintain, especially since seeing the oxide build-up is easier due to it's color. I just couldn't be happier.

Kip

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Just finished installing both reel motors, capstan motor and new pinch roller...
DEAD NUTS ACCURATE!

Attachments

• IMG_0100_..jpg
    IMG_0100_..jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 427

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Thanks Kip and Bruce

Just finished installing both reel motors, capstan motor and new pinch roller...
DEAD NUTS ACCURATE!

I'm going to evaluate W & F using an Audio Precision...should results suggest a new pinch roller I'll source it from Athan :cool:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I was going to send my ac hysteresis capstan motor to Athan but decided to use the OEM Ashland Electric,who has a rebuild program. The cost was a little more than what Athan quotes on their website,but the motor is so rare I thought the OE was the best choice.

Rebuilding these motors can be expensive and I think Athan is very good. I had one highly respected motor rebuilder quote me an enormous amount to rebuild the MR70 motors. To be fair that is for the idler,capstan and two reel motors but still that's a hefty price tag to swallow.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I just got off the phone with George at Athan and the MR70 capstan motor is finished. George told me that this motor is unique and the design was ingenious,he thought the Ampex engineers really had something that should improve the tape transport. I am really happy with Athan and George's work,he is a perfectionist.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Good to know Bruce (first time I hear about their existence) - thanks!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
UPS delivered the motor today and I thought I would post a photo of the capstan motor since there just isn't that many around. Hopefuly I can get the MR70 transport shipped to me in the next 3 weeks.

sunan

Jun 7, 2015
Does Athan Corp do total mechanical and tape path rebuild on a Studer A810? Or do they only do the motors?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing