SACD recordings

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've been listing to some SACD discs lately and can't believe how bad they sound. So I did some investigating. Theres a few that I'll pick out for you.

Here is a disc where the DC offset is off the charts. Not to mention the noise from 50-100k.

Attachments

• Error..JPG
    Error..JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 522

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Here you have a signal overmodulation from a loud drum strike.

Attachments

• OM Sonoma..JPG
    OM Sonoma..JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 509

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Bad mastering jobs?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Could be a pattern depending on who did the recording/mastering for each label.

No.. one was a Soundmirror/Mark Donahue project and the other was a Classic/John Newton project.

I've seen this with Telarc, PentaTone, Chandos and lots of others. Seems every label has a few out of spec.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
No.. one was a Soundmirror/Mark Donahue project and the other was a Classic/John Newton project.

I've seen this with Telarc, PentaTone, Chandos and lots of others. Seems every label has a few out of spec.

Well, as Joe E. Brown said as he embraced Jack Lemmon (in drag) at the end of Billy Wilder's "Some Like It Hot:" Nobody's perfect!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I understand the subject is SACD (Don't cotton much to the format as you should know by now) .. How did the corresponding CDs (if any) sounded ?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Hi

I understand the subject is SACD (Don't cotton much to the format as you should know by now) .. How did the corresponding CDs (if any) sounded ?

Well the loud passages that over-modulated sounded like distortion/crackle. The other's just didn't have any life, very 2-dimensional and not pleasant to listen to.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Bruce, I wish you would name the titles. I'd like to know if I have them and/or to avoid them.

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011

Gee, I thought it was Jonathan Stokes, not John Newton who worked for Classic Sound. But you are right about lifeless. I find everything done by Classic as you described, and their multi-channel recordings particularly poor. Classic seems to have no use for the ITU microphone alignment. Their 5.x recordings are basically faked quad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin Hood

Mar 21, 2011
I've been listing to some SACD discs lately and can't believe how bad they sound. So I did some investigating. Theres a few that I'll pick out for you.

Have I just entered Bizarro World? I was hoping to pick up a few gold nuggets from the Whats Best Forum (not the Whats Worst Forum). Can you provide a healthy list of some SACDs that show the best SACD has to offer.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Have I just entered Bizarro World? I was hoping to pick up a few gold nuggets from the Whats Best Forum (not the Whats Worst Forum). Can you provide a healthy list of some SACDs that show the best SACD has to offer.

I'd stick with Channel Classics, PentaTone, Mercury, Marinsky and LSO Live

Robin Hood

Mar 21, 2011
Thanks. These are all great labels for classical music on SACDs. What would you recommend for non-classical music like jazz, instrumental, pop/rock or world music on multi-channel SACDs? Or do you think that multi-channel non-classical music will be better served on other formats like DVD-As or Blu-ray?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
For jazz, I'd go with Fantasy, Verve, MFSL and Analogue Productions.

I'd stick with DVD-A for Rock/Pop. There are a couple of MFSL, but it's slim picking!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I'd stick with DVD-A for Rock/Pop. There are a couple of MFSL, but it's slim picking!

What about Tom Jung and DMP?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Think I found the worst recorded jazz SACD I've ever heard. I can't stand to listen to over 10 seconds of it because it's recorded/mastered so hot, the clipping/distortion will actually hurt you. I had high hopes for these.

James and Lucky Peterson - If You Can't Fix It

Attachments

• JLP..jpg
    JLP..jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 266

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I totally agree on Verve, MFSL and Analogue!!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing