the new Wave Kinetics NVS turntable is is house

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i picked up my new Wave Kinetics NVS turntable on Monday night in Portland. yesterday Joel Durand came over to install my 2 Talea arms on it. also; yesterday my Adona rack showed up. and last night i listened.

the Rockport, The Beat, and the Garrard are gone. my Allnic H3000 phono and my 2 Reed arms are gone. i have one turntable and 2 arms.

of course, i now have 3 master recorder RTR decks. a guy needs to have his priorities straight, i always say.:D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mike-First impressions?

Mark

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Nice, nice, very nice, Mike.

But it looks bare with only one turntable and two pieces of gear in the rack. You should move the 1/4" A820 to the same side of the room ... or the 1/2" A820 as well...;-)

Willl have to give the new LP setup a listen next time when I visit.

Ki

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike Congrats on the new Turntable and the new Adona rack. The Wave Kinetics turntable looks quite nice. I am surprised that you sold the Rockport.

How do you like the new Adona rack? I have the more traditional Signature series racks that I like very much.

Rich

last fall i had the prototype NVS tt in room to compare directly to the Rockport and The Beat. overall, i slightly preferred that prototype to the Rockport. i'd say the Rockport still had some areas where i preferred it. the Beat was not far behind the other 2 but definitely third in that line-up.

i had been told that the prototype had been steadily improved over the last 8 months since i had it in my room, and also that the production NVS's were even better than the prototype. my NVS had been shipped directly nto the designer in Portland for testing, as it's the very first production unit. he said it's better than the prototype. so i drove down to Portland Monday night and picked it up there.

i only had a couple of hours of listening last night, and it's early to make any pronouncements, but this NVS is likely a 'game-changer'. i'm going to leave it at that for now. i want to spend more time with familiar music before i get carried away. but the sky's the limit.

the target for this tt is not other tt's; it's the master recorders in the room playing master dubs.

i bought the Adona rack as a temporary solution to the large footprint NVS tt until the Wave Kinetics dedicated stand is built and shipped to me. my Grand Prix racks don't have enough room on top for the NVS. now that i have the Adona rack i think i'm in love; it's beautifully made and matches the look and build of the NVS. since i use Wave Kinetics A10-U8 footers, the de-coupling of the GPA racks are somewhat redundant. i'm very impressed with the Adona, but i've only had it for a day.

i will be cutting down the legs about 8" to 12" to eliminate one level and reduce the height.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Don't fret, Mike. You'll be back up to three turntables, six arms and three phono stages in no time. Is that a Micro Seiki I spot on the floor? What's that for?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Don't fret, Mike. You'll be back up to three turntables, six arms and three phono stages in no time. Is that a Micro Seiki I spot on the floor? What's that for?

the tt on the floor is 'The Beat', which has been waiting for the shipping crates to arrive to be shipped out to the new owner. they did arrive, i've spent the last few hours carefully packing it up, and it's loaded in my car to be shipped out tomorrow or Friday. it's been paid for for about 10 days......

the Garrard is partially paid for and also 'lurking' in the background waiting to be shipped out.

i don't see myself having multiple tt's again; but i am glad i did go down that road for many reasons.....i learned alot, met some great new friends, heard lots of great music, and it took me eventually to a higher level of performance.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You shoulda sent one of those rigs to Steve (oneobgyn).

Garrard 301, Allnic H 3000, Lamm ML3, Alexandrias, yummy at the next BAAS get together.

The new turntable looks spectacular.

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Hello Mike,

Well it's been a couple of days & I'm sure you've spent a good part of your weekend listening to the new NVS.

How about some more insight into your impressions & comparisons to the other 3 tables?

Thanks

Gary

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
you shoulda sent one of those rigs to steve (oneobgyn).

Garrard 301, allnic h 3000, lamm ml3, alexandrias, yummy at the next baas get together.

The new turntable looks spectacular.

lol..... :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
the tt on the floor is 'The Beat', which has been waiting for the shipping crates to arrive to be shipped out to the new owner. they did arrive, i've spent the last few hours carefully packing it up, and it's loaded in my car to be shipped out tomorrow or Friday. it's been paid for for about 10 days......
(...) .

I hope you got some help to do pack and load all this equipment. :)
I have found that the worst part of making changes is packing the old equipment to leave ...

Waiting for your reports on the NVS!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hello Mike,

Well it's been a couple of days & I'm sure you've spent a good part of your weekend listening to the new NVS.

How about some more insight into your impressions & comparisons to the other 3 tables?

Thanks

Gary

hi Gary,

below are comments i just posted on my Audiogon system page that may be helpful.

yesterday i did have a couple friends over to listen to the NVS, and i've had more time to spend listening.

it's amazing to me how you can get accustomed to a particuar reference, and then limit your expectations to that. it's not until you hear something that breaks thru that barrier of performance that you can see in perspective that the previous level of performance that you were enjoying contained noise and speed non-lineararities. this reminds me of 2002 when i first listened to the Rockport Sirius III. it was a whole new ballgame at that time compared to anything else.

that is how i feel now listening to the NVS compared to my previous references. i'm not sure that the difference is quite as profound as back 9 years ago. the Rockport Sirius III, at that time, was head and shoulders above all comers. but since tt performance has most certainly advanced since then, maybe the NVS's achievement is as significant.

the combined effect of the speed and noise improvements i now hear from the NVS are that the music is much more involving.....passages previously assumed to be fully communicated have taken on deeper meaning and content. much more space and depth, the 'there' is more 'here' in my room. aspects of the venue have come into focus. and this is not detail for the mind, as much as adding to the musical whole and getting the reproduction process out of the way.

yes; i hear things i never heard before, but it's hard to keep your mind in an analyitical mode when listening. you are listening to music. it's more that you are enjoying what the musician did that was previously not recognized.

and the affect on the listener physically is interesting. there is such an ease and relaxed nature to the presentation when the speed is really truely correct (or more properly, more 'really, truely correct'). we all commented on that during yesterday's session. we felt better because of how 'real' it sounded. why? i don't know exactly.

so yes, i'm loving the NVS tt and enjoying the discovery process on what it brings to the table. at first listen you know it's something 'beyond'. kinda like 'we are not in Kansas anymore, Toto' kinda deal. but understanding the implications of what it's doing takes awhile.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I hope you got some help to do pack and load all this equipment. :)
I have found that the worst part of making changes is packing the old equipment to leave ...

Waiting for your reports on the NVS!

in the last month i've packed the Rockport (had help from the buyer on that one), the Allnic H3000, 2 Reed arms, the Beat, and the Garrard. i also sold a new Ortofon A90 which was still new in box. and the Conrad Johnson M140LP monoblocks are for sale and i'm speaking to prospects on that.....so i'll be shipping those bad boys soon.

no help with any of those except the Rockport. and figuring out shipping the Beat to Japan was a royal pain.

i also unpacked the Adona rack which weighed 225 pounds, and of course, the NVS......which has been the easiest of them all because it comes in a flight case......you just click open the fasteners, remove the top layer of foam, and lift it out. nothing to stress about. i also had a 1/2" Studer A820 delvered standing up on 2 pallets. that was a bear becuase of how the rack was attached to the pallets....i had to saw the pallets apart.

anyway.....i'm plum tuckered out with all this sh*t!!!!:D

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I was one of the lucky invitees to Mike's yesterday. My comments are preliminary as the unit is not broken in, new, and had recently been moved/repositioned multiple times...Comparisons are to Mike's previous reference of which I've become pretty familiar:

1. Most significant improvement in the sense of space. Image depth was most improved. We played "Cat Walk" from Mulligan Meets Webster ORG 45 rpm reissue and the piano projected lateral and deep to the left speaker (in addition to being better defined). You get a better idea of the recording space, especially for acoustic music. It's definitely one of those auditory clues you don't realize you are missing with other systems (including my own), but once experience, you realize how important it is to the illusion.

2. Physical impact. I'm not sure there was any deeper bass, but it was certainly more visceral. You know how you 'feel' and not just hear the drum kit in a small bar or club? Same idea. We played cuts from the single sided 45 rpm Classic Records Zeppelin set including "Whole Lotta Love" and "In My Time of Dying" which were simply stunning in their physicality. You know why they couldn't continue after Bonham died.

3. Pace and timing. Spot on! Manifest by improved low level resolution and harmonic overtones. Especially notable with solo piano and Quartteto Italiano playing Beethoven's Late Quartets. Phase issues are reduced from prior listening sessions.

4. Reduced noise floor. Not a night and day difference, but readily notable.

Fit and finish of the table appear excellent. I'll be interested to hear how the sound evolves with break in and sitting on it's dedicated stand. Obvious but important to note, the TT was only piece in the chain. Mike's room is fabulous. I'm certain I couldn't get the same results in my listening room. The ancillary equipment is top notch and the vinyl was excellent. The sound also benefited from a piece of equipment that can not be discussed at this time...sorry for the tease.

I'm anxious to hear how the sound evolves but was very impressed. Certainly advances the ball down the field. Definitely should be on your audition list if you are considering a state of the art vinyl playback system and have the space and system that will do it justice.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Definitely should be on your audition list if you are considering a state of the art vinyl playback system and have the space and system that will do it justice.

I am so glad I don't have the space and system to do it justice:cool: So how much did I save?

Congratulations Mike

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing