Artificial Turf

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just thought I'd put this under tools since you need tools to maintain your lawn.
Short story.. we have about a 400 sq. ft. front yard. I've always prided myself on it's look. Guess I got that from the military. I would always cut it with a reel mower and get down on my hands and knees and do the edging with scissors.. I know... OCD. The past year, something happened to it. All it would grow was moss. Don't know if someone sabatoged it or what.
Then, while watching the latest episode of HGTV, they put in artifical turf. Wow.. what a concept! The wife agreed and that's what we did. We had "Dream Turf" come out and put in our new front yard. Can't say enough good things about them. Take a look.

Attachments

• 012..JPG
    012..JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 454
  • 004..JPG
    004..JPG
    223 KB · Views: 434
  • 018..JPG
    018..JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 473

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bruce,
Can we ask you about the mean total cost per square yard? Are there any regular maintenance costs?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Total cost was about $13 sq/ft

The only maintenance they recommend is a "power brush" every year. Looks like those brushes on street sweepers.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Look Ma, no muss, no fuss :)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You fertilize it with shredded plastic bottles.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Really nice. Regarding OCD, I stole this one from Myles

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I spent months getting our putting green going. I got the speed to a respectable 9 on the stimpmeter then the rains came. Just like in Forrest Gump, it didn't stop raining.

I gave up and went artificial just 3 weeks ago. I did the dead, mossy front yard as well. No regrets whatsoever.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
It's really funny when you see people walking down the street and all of a sudden they look around to see if no one is looking and bend down to touch it!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Bruce. I love the looks of your house. Definite curb appeal! What does the turf look like up close and does it mat down over time with traffic and other gardening duties?

Tom

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Have you gotten turf toe yet? This Old House used to have a section called "Re-muddled." iI referred to ruining old houses by remodeling them

I don't have a picture but I friend of mine, tired of his wifes nagging to cut the grass, paved the front yard with cement. it looked great.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
perfect%20lawn1.jpg Can you tell the difference?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Hello, Bruce. I love the looks of your house. Definite curb appeal! What does the turf look like up close and does it mat down over time with traffic and other gardening duties?

Tom

What sold me was they had a 1' x 1' swatch as a sample when they first came out. The median between the sidewalk has a very nice layer of real grass. I placed the sample on the real grass and couldn't tell where it stopped and started. That's what sold me.

It doesn't appear to get matted yet. I do sweep it once a month.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Thanks, Bruce. I take it that the turf replaced Bermuda grass? [that's what the turf looks like from my end]

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing