Google + versus Facebook

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well it doesn't take long before Google decides to launch their version of social networking and take on Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook with their over 700 million members.

Google + only launched recently and already has over 10 million members and is getting rave reviews.

http://www.faceblogger.com/google-plus-vs-facebook/

The concept of social networking seems to be ever evolving to the point where for me at least there just aren't enough hours in any day to stay connected in such a fashion. One can use Facebook, Twitter, Google +, Linkedin etc etc etc

My son who is an ardent user of all forms of social networking tells me that Google + is excellent and feels it will be a real competitor for Facebook.

I am curious who is using it and what your thoughts are about it

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The only reason I use Facebook is to keep up with my youngest daughter. Maybe it's my age, but I'm not an active participant on the whole social networking thing

:( Same here .. I check out once in a while to know how some old friends are doing and it was instrumental in keeping touch with each other during The Event in Haiti last year, else .. I find it totally artificial as many things people invest themselves in these days. I try to think that it is is my age but there is something wrong with this "version of social networking" .. I find the term redundant. Society is a network of people anyway ... I also look very skeptically at the youth of today totally disconnected from the reality of their lives in many ways ... I have seen people on a date, each texting to friends while the "date" is going on ... Look around you and you will see couples with their kids and everyone in the family with their eyes on their smartphones, texting away with little interaction with each other .. "Social" Networking? Time will tell but there seems to be something wrong here ...:confused:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well the thing to consider is that FB is more than a "social networking" site-not to mention advertising site.

For people like me, there's a lot of work related information. with people talking about recently published papers, links to individual blogs and thoughts on the industry. There's also lot's of audio stuff --both on the manufacturer and software end--as well as connections to audiophiles worldwide on FB too. Then finally, there's friends and relatives, etc.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
:( Same here .. I check out once in a while to know how some old friends are doing and it was instrumental in keeping touch with each other during The Event in Haiti last year, else .. I find it totally artificial as many things people invest themselves in these days. I try to think that it is is my age but there is something wrong with this "version of social networking" .. I find the term redundant. Society is a network of people anyway ... I also look very skeptically at the youth of today totally disconnected from the reality of their lives in many ways ... I have seen people on a date, each texting to friends while the "date" is going on ... Look around you and you will see couples with their kids and everyone in the family with their eyes on their smartphones, texting away with little interaction with each other .. "Social" Networking? Time will tell but there seems to be something wrong here ...:confuse]

Good thoughts.

I understand there is an app that uses the iPone's camera to display the sidewalk in front of you on the top part of the screen. That way you can avoid tripping over small dogs and children while you walk along texting.

And yes. IPone is the accepted internet spelling. :cool:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
:( Same here .. I check out once in a while to know how some old friends are doing and it was instrumental in keeping touch with each other during The Event in Haiti last year, else .. I find it totally artificial as many things people invest themselves in these days. I try to think that it is is my age but there is something wrong with this "version of social networking" .. I find the term redundant. Society is a network of people anyway ... I also look very skeptically at the youth of today totally disconnected from the reality of their lives in many ways ... I have seen people on a date, each texting to friends while the "date" is going on ... Look around you and you will see couples with their kids and everyone in the family with their eyes on their smartphones, texting away with little interaction with each other .. "Social" Networking? Time will tell but there seems to be something wrong here ...:confused:

+1,000,000

When the extended family is at my house all kids are required to put all gadgets away.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Sigh...My sentiments too. Texting through cell phones and now FB, Twitter, etc. has consumed the time of kids and in my case, I see my kids' study time greatly eaten up by the likes of FB and computer games. In my time, there was only TV to compete with my study time. Now, the gadgets smokes study time. My wife's 7 year old nephew was given a IPAD just so he play games anytime and anywhere. In our family Sunday lunch, the kids eats in 2 minutes so he can start playing his IPAD in another corner. I really wonder how kids today can go to medical school.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
A social network like Facebook is a way to keep in touch with far flung friends and acquaintances as well as for work, especially if you work in the entertainment industry - movies, games, etc. etc. What Google+ did was to create friends circles - a feature that Facebook used to have, friends lists - which made it easy to make posts only view-able by people in those lists - and also allowed you to sort what you see, so you could check up on say... only your relatives instead of having to sift through pages of chaff to find the wheat.

Google+ also allows you to "Follow" someone like Twitter does, and allows you to make posts public - i.e. anyone who follows you can read it. It also allows for reaching out to the extended circles - i.e. all of all your friends' friends. Until Google+ creates an easily accessible gaming platform & more developers create games for it though, the kids won't be moving over just yet.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's a great snapshot Carolyn. One of my major dislikes for Facebook is what you say: as soon as you accept someone in your circle, now you a lot more noise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing