Tube testing

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
One of the drawbacks of tubes is that they need to be changed after a certain period - going from 1000 hours in some tubes to 10000 hours for others types, sometimes depending a lot on the equipment.

How do you check for the need of tube replacement in your system?

I have a home made dynamic tube tester and check mainly for transconductance - I measure it and record it when I buy new tubes, but sometimes I feel that I am replacing the tubes before it is needed. Modern Audio Research equipment have an hour counter and advise to replace after a typical use of 4000 hours for signal and 2000 hour for power tubes.

Some people advise to check for variance of plate resistance, but I could not find any evidence of correlation between its variation and tube life.

My VTL MB750's tubes last longtime. As they have B+ fuses, time to replace the tubes is easy to establish - the first two time it blows a fuse I replace the faulty tube and fuse, at the third fuse I know it is time to replace the twenty four 6550s ...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
24 6550 tubes. Yikes! And I thought replacing 12 was bad with my Jadis Defy 7 MKII that is now gone and not missed. For output tubes, I always used bias as an indicator of tubes wearing out. For small signal tubes, looking at the getter is a good indication of tube health. However, many small signal tubes go noisey before they have reached end of life. In a perfect world, all tubes would die a natural death of cathode depletion. Some tube testers have a cathode life test which measures the emission of the cathode. This is the best indicator for the health of a tube.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing