First thoughts on the Spectral DMC-30SS Series 2

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
A disclaimer: I never did a home evaluation of the Series 1, because its significantly reduced gain (and consequently dynamics) - now apparently restored - left me cold. But much of the below may well apply to it as well... mullard88 and others would know best.

So, I've been evaluating the Series 2 at home, and when paired with the 360 Series 2's, I would call this the end of smearing. This is really an accolade to all solid state and tube pro equipment used in the best of recordings, and an expression of frustration that it took so long for Spectral (and perhaps other top shelf manufacturers) to reach this point. Perhaps it's much easier to capture and record than reproduce... But all of the tubed Pope Music, Chesky et al as well as solid state RR HDCD recordings are, at this point, as crystal clear and crisply rendered as I care them to be.

The differences against my preamp are stark:

1. Much more treble energy - the old adage that if a manufacturer can't get the treble right he or she will attenuate it applies up until the Series 2's arrival in my home. They seem to have gotten it right; I can now hear again tape hiss in some recordings (e.g. Sheffield o-Daiko drums - BTW, rendering of this piece is so realistic as to be truly frightening) - and I thought my ears had given out
  2. The dynamic range is much more realistic; I would roughly estimate a 3dB increased headroom
  3. The amount of low-level information retrieval is staggering; I can't believe I am hearing new details for the first time
  4. The 3D positioning and layering within the soundstage is phenomenal
  5. I imagine at the bottom of all this is probably its ability to "perfectly" follow the signal - you just know when something sounds exactly right = truth of timbre and "living presence"
In two words: extreme clarity

I've never experienced such relaxed listening at home because I can't yet find any flaws and everything sounds so natural, with great recordings. There is just one area of concern - a little exaggerated sibilance with some recordings, and I don't know yet if it's them or the preamp. But my preamp is up for sale on a'gon.

In the preamp's bulletin on the website it is mentioned that the new design enabled the engineers to remove some "stabilizing" capacitors and roughly double the bandwidth of the SHHA modules. Whatever the trick was, it worked. (Spectral - the manual itself should really be re-written; decade-old language, it feels).

Finally, all of the above observations are also testament to the quality of the Berkeley Alpha DAC and the Ortofon A90 - two apparently extremely fast and accurate sources.

The eval is on-going...

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The sibilance issue has disappeared with enough warm-up - and I mean over a day. BADA direct coming up next, devert...

Last edited:

lydon

Jul 9, 2011
Hello Ack,
Congradulations on your sale of the DMC-30SL G2 unit on Audiogon. Now you only have to ride out the two month wait for the successor. At least you have the Alpha DAC, so it won't be such an ordeal, enjoy and best regards.
Lydon

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Great report.

How does it compare with running the BADA direct into the 360 S2s?

Devert - I was initially concerned that this soundstage, attack, three-dimensionality, palpability, dynamic headroom et al the 30SS S2 does so well was partly the result of some engineering tricks. Now driving the BADA direct to the 360's it is quite clear all this stuff is in the recording. Take it with a grain of salt and I'll be happy to eat the following words down the road, but with the limited exposure I've had and given these speakers' resolution abilities, the 30SS S2 appears to be straight wire with gain, and if it's not, I couldn't hear its flaws. I've now run through all familiar recordings I use for eval... When I get mine I will be able to report more.

For now, and since the BADA was voiced with the 360s, the combination is extra-ordinary.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I missed something somewhere. What is BADA?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
This is the Berkeley Alpha DAC

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Devert - I was initially concerned that this soundstage, attack, three-dimensionality, palpability, dynamic headroom et al the 30SS S2 does so well was partly the result of some engineering tricks. Now driving the BADA direct to the 360's it is quite clear all this stuff is in the recording. Take it with a grain of salt and I'll be happy to eat the following words down the road, but with the limited exposure I've had and given these speakers' resolution abilities, the 30SS S2 appears to be straight wire with gain, and if it's not, I couldn't hear its flaws. I've now run through all familiar recordings I use for eval... When I get mine I will be able to report more.

For now, and since the BADA was voiced with the 360s, the combination is extra-ordinary.

ack,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not surprised.

I understand that the 30SS S2 will allow you enjoy your analog gear and its extra gain has positive effects.

Pending some current valve explorations, my system direction would be a BADA and DMA-260.

audiosessions

Dec 29, 2010
Chatsworth California
Spectral dmc-30ss s1 & s2 stock fuse value, 500ma or one amp

To all spectral dmc-30 series pre amp owners.
I have found with my last three spectral 30 series pre amps, 500ma main fues installed from the factory while the owners manual states one amp.
I have demoed both options and prefer the more laid back 500ma sound.
With the one amp fuse installed the sound was slightly more colored, forward, greater extension, highs and lows, etc.
Have you checked your spare fuses to see what value your pre amp is supplied with.
I went back to the stock fuses at this time after demoing the hifi tunning supreme fuse. There are bennifits and draw backs with the supreme fuse.
I felt the stock fuses give a more natural sound.
Next i am loking into the 30ss series 2 upgrade option before i replace my 250 with a 260 amp.
When i replaced my 30sl s1 to the 30ss i felt there was a drop in gain & dynamics but improved in lower noise and less coloration.
a disclaimer: I never did a home evaluation of the series 1, because its significantly reduced gain (and consequently dynamics) - now apparently restored - left me cold. But much of the below may well apply to it as well... Mullard88 and others would know best.

So, i've been evaluating the series 2 at home, and when paired with the 360 series 2's, i would call this the end of smearing. This is really an accolade to all solid state and tube pro equipment used in the best of recordings, and an expression of frustration that it took so long for spectral (and perhaps other top shelf manufacturers) to reach this point. Perhaps it's much easier to capture and record than reproduce... But all of the tubed pope music, chesky et al as well as solid state rr hdcd recordings are, at this point, as crystal clear and crisply rendered as i care them to be.

The differences against my preamp are stark:

1. much more treble energy - the old adage that if a manufacturer can't get the treble right he or she will attenuate it applies up until the series 2's arrival in my home. They seem to have gotten it right; i can now hear again tape hiss in some recordings (e.g. Sheffield o-daiko drums - btw, rendering of this piece is so realistic as to be truly frightening) - and i thought my ears had given out
  2. the dynamic range is much more realistic; i would roughly estimate a 3db increased headroom
  3. the amount of low-level information retrieval is staggering; i can't believe i am hearing new details for the first time
  4. the 3d positioning and layering within the soundstage is phenomenal
  5. i imagine at the bottom of all this is probably its ability to "perfectly" follow the signal - you just know when something sounds exactly right = truth of timbre and "living presence"
in two words: Extreme clarity

i've never experienced such relaxed listening at home because i can't yet find any flaws and everything sounds so natural, with great recordings. There is just one area of concern - a little exaggerated sibilance with some recordings, and i don't know yet if it's them or the preamp. But my preamp is up for sale on a'gon.

In the preamp's bulletin on the website it is mentioned that the new design enabled the engineers to remove some "stabilizing" capacitors and roughly double the bandwidth of the shha modules. Whatever the trick was, it worked. (spectral - the manual itself should really be re-written; decade-old language, it feels).

Finally, all of the above observations are also testament to the quality of the berkeley alpha dac and the ortofon a90 - two apparently extremely fast and accurate sources.

The eval is on-going...

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have found with my last three spectral 30 series pre amps, 500ma main fues installed from the factory while the owners manual states one amp.
With the one amp fuse installed the sound was slightly more colored, forward, greater extension, highs and lows, etc.
Have you checked your spare fuses to see what value your pre amp is supplied with.
I went back to the stock fuses at this time after demoing the hifi tunning supreme fuse. There are bennifits and draw backs with the supreme fuse.
Next i am loking into the 30ss series 2 upgrade option before i replace my 250 with a 260 amp.
When i replaced my 30sl s1 to the 30ss i felt there was a drop in gain & dynamics but improved in lower noise and less coloration.

I have not played with fuses for some 25 years, to be honest... The 30SL G2 I sold had a silver hifi tuning fuse and I didn't A/B it. In general, in the 21st century I expect the ultra high end manufacturers to know what they are doing. Right on wrt 30SL vs 30SS based on my in-store evaluation a couple of years ago. I feel - and so does the dealer now, apparently - the Series 2 is a major leap forward, and it certainly restores the dynamics.

Keep us informed on your upgrades...

kee

Sep 15, 2010

Is your pre amp 110V or 220V version? My 220V DMC30SS2 comes with 500mA fuse. Not sure if the 110V version is using 1A fuse (due to 1/2 of 220V voltage).

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I was going to write some more impressions on this preamp, now that it's been on for 24 hrs, but unfortunately one of its functions is DOA and has to go back to the factory. I guess it happens to the best too... What I can tell you is that the new RR LPs just released are a must-have - really impressive transfers, extremely quiet and high quality pressings, clearly superior to the HDCD versions as rendered by the Berkeley Alpha DAC, and easy to showcase: I time-aligned them, then switched the level-matched inputs... More in a few [argh, MORE] weeks...

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Lucky you can drive your amps with the BADA.

Would be interesting to compare the HRx versions of the Dick Hyman tracks to RR LP.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It turns out it wasn't anything serious, so I'll have it back soon.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It turns out it wasn't anything serious, so I'll have it back soon.

any more thoughts on the Spectral DMC-30SS SERIES 2 ? I am in the process of my final selection for a pre-amp. Leaning SS but perhaps I need to consider tubes. Will be running it into my Pass Labs XA 100.5 SS Monoblocks. Contenders:

Pass Labs XP-30 (I can audition this)
Spectral DMC-30SS SERIES 2
Audio Research Reference Anniversary Preamplifier
DarTZeel NHB-18NS
Lamm Model L2 Reference

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I haven't heard any of the other ones, so I can't guide you. But I still stand by my original comments on the 30SS S2 that it's my definition of straight-wire-with-gain, if that's what you are looking for, subject to my system's and ears' resolution. I strongly suggest you try to audition them all before you buy anything.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
BTW, Spectral dealers should be able to ship you units to audition over a weekend, if you can't go to the store.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing