should one use the external word clock or use the MADI clock signal?

mr_wicked

Jul 9, 2011
Hi Bruce,

What's your advice on clocking (for ex.) a DAD AX24 in combination with a RME/SSL MADI card? Should one use the MADI clocking signal or do you need an extra cable for the word clock?

Thanks!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I use MADI in our Pyramix system and use the DAC's (DAD AX24 or EMM Labs DAC8 IV or Playback Designs MPS-5) own internal clock. I've used everything from the Big Ben to the Antelope/Trinity 10M Rubidium and neither made a difference for the better.

Now... if you are recording and using more than 1 converter, then yes, use an external clock. I know when we've had bands in here and other producers have brought their own converter, we always used an ext. clock to keep everything in sync.

I'm a believer that if you use an external clock on a DAC and it changes the sound for the better, then the DAC was either broken or poorly constructed in the first place.

mr_wicked

Jul 9, 2011
Hi Bruce, Thank you for your extended answer regarding external clocking. It's good to know the DAC clock should be used. My question was regarding the embedded MADI clocking signal though.

Let me copy a paragraph from the SSL manual (RME has the same functionality):

Digital audio devices that exchange audio data must be synchronized to the same clock reference. This clock reference signal can either be a ‘WordClock’ signal, transmitted and received via dedicated coaxial connectors (BNC or RCA), or an embedded clock signal transmitted via a digital audio connection such as TDIF Clock, ADAT Clock, MADI Clock, etc.

So my question is: Do you advice the usage of the external coaxial WordClock connectors or do you advice to use the embedded clock signal transmitted through MADI?

Thanks!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
If you are using MADI optical, then the embedded clock signal is fine. If you are using MADI coax, then use the external MADI clock connection. BNC preferably.

mr_wicked

Jul 9, 2011
If you are using MADI optical, then the embedded clock signal is fine. If you are using MADI coax, then use the external MADI clock connection. BNC preferably.

Thank you for that! Too bad the DAD AX24 MADI connector isn't optical, an external word clock connector it is..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing