"TapeZilla" Has arrived

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have said it before on numerous occasions that the 350s blow the sounstage open in every direction. They do sound big and by that, I don't mean bloated. Very realistic sounding for sure. Space and time machines is another descriptor I have used in the past.

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
As with all recaps and changes to passive componets there is a breakin time some systems are different in how you can tell.I have always noticed changes in the performers height location in relation to the speakers.When the performer is low and the transperency of the overall performance is "light" as I call it. Then I know the breakin period is still ongoing the system will go back and forth becoming more fullbodied and back to "light" .Sort of light to dark as an anology.
This process also has a single constant more volume is needed in the "light" phase and less volume (gain) in the "dark" phase.

That is what is happening right now .So the breakin continues as it takes upwards of 100-200 hours to get a real handle as to what the system or componet will sound like.Sometimes it is much longer.

There are tells in my experience and they can be subtle or abrupt great sense of air and realism such as the audience clapping in a live performance.The other side of this is the dynamic factor something such as a cymbal crash that raises you off the seat, in essence from pfft to PFFT in a flash.

The breakin period continues......

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
There are tells in my experience and they can be subtle or abrupt great sense of air and realism such as the audience clapping in a live performance.The other side of this is the dynamic factor something such as a cymbal crash that raises you off the seat, in essence from pfft to PFFT in a flash.

The breakin period continues......
I agree, Gary, applause is an excellent quality indicator, it should have a tremendous intensity and almost shock factor in it, perhaps even more so than a cymbal crash. How's the invisibility of the speakers going, as in impossible for the ears to locate from anywhere in the room?

Frank

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
I agree, Gary, applause is an excellent quality indicator, it should have a tremendous intensity and almost shock factor in it, perhaps even more so than a cymbal crash. How's the invisibility of the speakers going, as in impossible for the ears to locate from anywhere in the room?

Frank

Yes Frank the speakers are invisible that hasn't changed an iota, chalk that up to the speakers crossover network.
Do you think that applause is more real when it sounds like driving rain? I would think it would be more of a airy sound as your two hands compress air between them.A good example is "Serenity" featuring Stan Getz in Copenhagen live or a "Fair Summer Evening" with Nanci Griffith, the cut I like most is 5 & Dime. The audience is recorded very well with spatial Q'S front to back, left to right, floor to ceiling. The applause here is very open and airy.

Best,
Gary

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Do you think that applause is more real when it sounds like driving rain? I would think it would be more of a airy sound as your two hands compress air between them.A good example is "Serenity" featuring Stan Getz in Copenhagen live or a "Fair Summer Evening" with Nanci Griffith, the cut I like most is 5 & Dime. The audience is recorded very well with spatial Q'S front to back, left to right, floor to ceiling. The applause here is very open and airy.

Best,
Gary
Of course the trouble is that different recordings have applause mixed in in various ways. One way to describe it is that it is open and airy, and sharp and intense at the same time. The airiness should come from the echo of the auditorium mixed in, the sharpness comes from the impulse of air exploding sideways at the moment the hands contact, it creates a very bright, powerful transient.

In general, very hollow, echoey reverb is something a lot of systems have trouble getting right. A good test I've used for a long time is the drum intro on an early track of Paul Simon's Graceland which has massive reverb added to give it a certain character. Most setups make a complete muddle of this, a dead giveaway that more work is needed ...

Cheers,
Frank

MI350

Feb 6, 2018
Hi
thats some rig you got going.
I am building one myself
I have 351s and 350s
Thats exactly what i want to do.
Did you have a custom head block done to work with the 350s?
Or did you use a transformer to couple the head block of the C transport to the 350s.

Louis

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi
thats some rig you got going.
I am building one myself
I have 351s and 350s
Thats exactly what i want to do.
Did you have a custom head block done to work with the 350s?
Or did you use a transformer to couple the head block of the C transport to the 350s.

Louis

Hi Louis,
It been so long since I configured this machine,but iirc these 350's have the high impedance transformers (see photos 3 transformers). This enabled me to use a 440 headstack. This deck is playback only. The 350's have a sound all there own...I did recap these using Mundorfs lytics and film caps. Contact John at JRF magnetics he is the expert. Good luck!

MI350

Feb 6, 2018
Ampex 350 with 440 C Transport

Hi Louis,
It been so long since I configured this machine,but iirc these 350's have the high impedance transformers (see photos 3 transformers). This enabled me to use a 440 headstack. This deck is playback only. The 350's have a sound all there own...I did recap these using Mundorfs lytics and film caps. Contact John at JRF magnetics he is the expert. Good luck!

Hi Roger
Thanks for getting back so fast, that was sweet.
I thought the heads on the 440 are low impedance?
I know John pretty good, i spoke to him the other day about a custom head block.
Let me look at the photos
Putting together a really cool system,i am a big Mcintosh person.
I have a MC3500, mc75s mc60s
Cant wait to get my 350s up and running.
Right now i am working on my 351s
What do you like more 351s or 350s?

Louis

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Roger! It looks fantastic!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger
Thanks for getting back so fast, that was sweet.
I thought the heads on the 440 are low impedance?
I know John pretty good, i spoke to him the other day about a custom head block.
Let me look at the photos
Putting together a really cool system,i am a big Mcintosh person.
I have a MC3500, mc75s mc60s
Cant wait to get my 350s up and running.
Right now i am working on my 351s
What do you like more 351s or 350s?

Louis
Louis they probably are low impedance. I like both 351 and the 350...you have both,you will enjoy each one equally.

Congratulations, Roger! It looks fantastic!
Hi Ron,
These 350's were one of the first stereo pairs and originally belonged to the USAF radio network. I'm sure they are unique as I pulled out all the stops when I had these rebuilt.....thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing