magneplanars

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
My Maggie setup sounds fantastic and plays plenty loudly enough for me (MG-IIIa L/R, CC3 center, MC-1 surrounds and rears). people talk mainly about their limited dynamics, but they have plenty for me, at least in my room. The image is superb if a bit dry due to all the damping in the room (I killed the wall and corners behind them, often considered a no-no, and of course the early reflection spots on the walls and ceiling in front). I have enough studio background that dry doesn't bother me too much; it lets me hear whatever "space" is in the recording.

I was planning to get a pair of 20.1's until I found out they had risen in price so much (it's only been 25 - 30 years since I got my MG-IIIa's, what's up with that? ;) ). I also really don't have room for them. When my IIIa's play out I will have to make a hard choice between having them refurbished or picking up a pair of 3.7's. Financially, at the moment I hope they last a while, at least until the kids are through college!

And yeah, they are a pain to set up, but well worth the effort.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
My first Magnepan was the MG III which I first biamped with an Audio Research D 70 for the top and a PS Audio amp (forgot the model) on the bottom. I later swapped out the PS Audio amp for an Audio Research D 115. In the end, I went wtih just the Audio Research D 115 amp driving the whole speaker.

My second time with the Maggie 3 series was the MG 3.5 driven by VAC 300B mono blocks. This was extremely holographic. Since the Maggies do not get used very much as I have several speakers that I rotate, I sold the MG 3.5 to a friend.

I missed the Maggie sound, so I now have a pair of modified MG 1.6 driven by a pair of Spectral 360 series 2 mono blocks. Plus I have a pair of Element subwoofers. To me, this is the best Maggie experience for me. There is quickness and beautifully textured presentation of the performance.

In all three set-ups, I have always been impressed with how such big speakers totally disappear when music starts.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I have to correct myself. I have not heard my modified MG 1.6 yet. The sound I described in paragraph 3 above is for the stock MG 1.6. My apologies.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Long-time Maggie fan and owner here starting with IIIas in 1989. Now I have 1.6s driven by an Audio Research VT-100. Really great sound. I'm planning to get some 1.7s in June if things go well.

Here's what I like about Maggies:

**World class midrange and highs.
**Cohesiveness.
**Presence. Musicians just sound present and in the room but naturally so.
**Timbral accuracy. I do classical recordings and the Maggies get the cello and violin sound just right.
**Perfect mid-bass.
**Great customer service from Minnesota. Great dealers. Bought both of mine from Lyric Hifi.
**In my opinion keep pace with speakers up to 10x their price.

Minor Downsides:

**Need some juice. High current amp please.
**Not the deepest bass. Buy a subwoofer.
**Historically not the best parts in the crossover but they have significantly improved this on the newer models.
**Need lots of attention to placement like most speakers. I use the Cardas Planar formula to great effect.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Well I jumped in feet first and ordered a pair of the 1.7's today. They should be in at my dealer in about 10 days or so. They sounded pretty damn good in my dealers oddly arranged room. I think I can get more out of them in my listening room even without the reference AR equipment. This is going to be a long 10 day wait.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well I jumped in feet first and ordered a pair of the 1.7's today. They should be in at my dealer in about 10 days or so. They sounded pretty damn good in my dealers oddly arranged room. I think I can get more out of them in my listening room even without the reference AR equipment. This is going to be a long 10 day wait.

Congratulations, Fred. That's exciting. Hope you can share with us your initial feeback. :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Good call! :)
G

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Any news on a re-boot on the 20.1. One speaker in a 20.1 is made of two (2) 3.6 sandwiched together ... The same is likely to be done with the 3.7 toward a 40.1 or 20.2 or whatever tey wish to call it. Any news? Or should we wait for CEDIA/CES/THE? I for one would be interested...

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

What will they make the 20.1 off since they replaced the 3.6 with the 3.7?
I must quickly add that Magnepan are among my favorite speakers .. yet I however am:
  • Somewhat annoyed by the low sensitivity which seems to lead to ...
  • The need to play them a little louder than some speakers
  • Measurements, save for the quasi-resistive impedance curve, are not the best one would ever see.. Actually they measure horribly IMO..

yet the sound, the sound and palpability, the musicality (did I say that ?:eek:) ...:D

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Congratulations, Fred. That's exciting. Hope you can share with us your initial feeback. :)

I most certainly will. Can't wait for the Maggies to arrive!

Good call! :)
G

Agreed Myles. So easy to make bad calls in this hobby, but I really believe these speakers are no brainers at their asking price.

BTW, going to see Steely Dan at Orange Beach, AL in mid August. Suffice it to say the Maggies will be getting a VERY healthy dose of Gaucho, Aja, Everything Must Go and a little Nigthfly (Hello Baton Rouge!) in the interim.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Agreed Myles. So easy to make bad calls in this hobby, but I really believe these speakers are no brainers at their asking price.

BTW, going to see Steely Dan at Orange Beach, AL in mid August. Suffice it to say the Maggies will be getting a VERY healthy dose of Gaucho, Aja, Everything Must Go and a little Nigthfly (Hello Baton Rouge!) in the interim.

Yes and they are not a pain in the butt to drive! One amp that has always sounded good on the Maggies--but not necessarily on other speakers-is Bryston. For whatever the reason, there's a real synergy between the two (as with cj in my experience).

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
yet the sound, the sound and palpability, the musicality (did I say that ?:eek:) ...:D

So true, Frantz.

If there's one word best to describe the Maggies, it's PALPABLE. Like you can touch the instruments. Heard that trait starting with the Tympani IVa, then the 2.5, on my 2.7 QR and the 3.5 too. For transparency freaks like me, who want to 'see' the speakers disappear (ever since I heard the Spicas did this there was no turning back), the Maggies are heaven sent. True it won't play full orchestral with the authority and impact of cone drivers but what frequencies they handle they handle so well. And after coming from hugh B&W800s with four 12" woofers, the Maggies didn't make me miss a thing, because of the beauty of what they can do. Prior to them, I would change speakers every 2 or 3 years. The Maggies are still with me after 12 or so years. And the next thing to it will still be a Maggie, I'm pretty sure of that. :)

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
Maggies and Martin Logan electrostaics

Magneplanar Tympani IV bass panels (modified) and Martin Logan electrostatic
provide not only depth and coherence, but completely disappear. Spica TC-50's
and Gallo Nucleus micro's and Martin Logan Logos center channel adds IMG_1034..jpg IMG_0951..jpg to the
realism of space. The bass is superb with definition and is extended down to
infra range with a rotary subwoofer.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

I am going to see Steely Dan this coming Friday (15 July 11) in Indianapolis. I have Gaucho on 15 ips 2 track and it is a socks-rotter.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Took delivery of the 1.7's last night. Setup was suprisingly easy. Didn't spend too much time positioning as I wanted to just get into them. I have them about 3 feet off the rear wall and 14 inches off the side walls. Initial impression is I can't believe I waited so long! Second initial impression, I need more power. The Jolida sounds very good, but it runs out of gas too soon. That fact really shows up on vinyl with the lower signal.

But! What a great sound. Nice detail, transparency and resolution. I'm getting a glimpse of the slam that these speakers possess but really need more horsepower to really bring that out. The best sound is actually coming from my old Dokorder open reel player. A few tapes that I made at 7.5ips have some detail in them that I hadn't heard before.

These are great speakers guys. Easily worth every penny and then some. Build quality is first rate. They appear to be sturdy and fit n finish is spot on.

It's raining outside right now so I get a break from yard work and get to spend the entire day doing the tango with my new Maggies. Maybe by Sunday night I'll have found the perfect setup for them.

Almost forgot, sound stage is huge! Wide, deep and tall, but of course you already knew that didn't you.

hifitommy

"The need to play them a little louder than some speakers"

this may stem from the fact that they are dipole and all the sound isnt directed right at you but all through the room similar in a way to omnis like MBL101s or ohm Fs and As. a small price to pay for the sound quality. likewise, measuring the output is more of a task due to the large radiating surfaces and dipolar distribution. i have yet to find a pair of maggies that i disliked.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing