MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
charlie brown rec.jpg

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
For me, buying music has become part of my normal routine. Listening to what I just bought is the real pleasure.

Between Amazon and ArkivMusic, I have about 300 CDs in wish lists and shopping carts. If I come across something of interest, I add it to a list. Every week or so, I check to see what CDs are cheap.

I was reading my journal from 2005 recently and noticed that the items that were on my short list then have all been purchased.

Thank you Amazon, ArkivMusic and Berkshire Record Outlet.

Bill

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
One of the great joys of getting old has been my jazz awakening. For some reason I just didn't have the patience for it until about 10 years ago. Patience morphed into appreciation into passion. And the coolest thing is now I have this vast history to discover for the first time (for me). Then years on, I'm just now getting out of the golden age of the 40s/50s/60s. A couple of weeks ago I discovered Cassandra Wilson. I'd been aware of her, of course, but she'd never quite gotten my attention. Then I heard her take on Robert Johnson's Come On In My Kitchen. Instantly fell in love. Don't tell my wife.

Tim

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'm still going through the stack of records I haven't heard yet but bought over a year ago, some real gems in there. Since spending weekends in Santa Cruz for a year at the new place, haven't been back to Amoeba in Berkeley for over a year, no new acquisitions for vinyl. In Santa Cruz, I am all digital with a Mac Mini Itunes server type thing.

I will get my back pack and bicycle to look for LP's in downtown Santa Cruz some day, but every time my wife finds a new vinyl haul, she gives me grief. Have had some nice snags at the local Goodwill, however. I prefer a nice one dollar vintage record to a modern remaster any day.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm still going through the stack of records I haven't heard yet but bought over a year ago, some real gems in there. Since spending weekends in Santa Cruz for a year at the new place, haven't been back to Amoeba in Berkeley for over a year, no new acquisitions for vinyl. In Santa Cruz, I am all digital with a Mac Mini Itunes server type thing.

I will get my back pack and bicycle to look for LP's in downtown Santa Cruz some day, but every time my wife finds a new vinyl haul, she gives me grief. Have had some nice snags at the local Goodwill, however. I prefer a nice one dollar vintage record to a modern remaster any day.

Ha hahaha......

Just bought 10 record crates from Anthony's Woodshop http://www.tonyswoodshop.com/
to house the homeless LPs. They should be in this week. Gotta admit. The records on floor have reached a polnt where they even annoy me :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
The primary symptom

What's up with the table Sam?

is the ET2 hesitates to travel the final 1.5" or so of the groove. I've consulted the manual and have cleaned with anhydrous isopropanol. During the week, I'll give Bruce Thigpen a ring and inquire about using acetone; otherwise, disassembly and proper cleaning may be indicated.

Just got a precise pressure gauge...I'll assess the pressure from the Wisa as soon as I source the proper fittings.

The Peanuts cartoon reminded me when Tower Records used to be on Sports Arena Blvd. in town...one would encounter all manner of people -- very cool

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
is the ET2 hesitates to travel the final 1.5" or so of the groove. I've consulted the manual and have cleaned with anhydrous isopropanol. During the week, I'll give Bruce Thigpen a ring and inquire about using acetone; otherwise, disassembly and proper cleaning may be indicated.

Just got a precise pressure gauge...I'll assess the pressure from the Wisa as soon as I source the proper fittings.

The Peanuts cartoon reminded me when Tower Records used to be on Sports Arena Blvd. in town...one would encounter all manner of people -- very cool

Have you cleaned the inside of the bearing with ROH too or just the arm? I assume you're using an in-line filter between the arm and the pump too?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
If using a filter, it may be partially clogged as well. I'd inspect the entire length of tubing, replace the filter, and clean the arm and manifold surfaces thorougly. A final thought is that the Wisa pump has lost efficiency and needs replacement.

Since the arm travels most of the way across the LP, it most likely seems as if there is some dirt/deposit on the arm tube at the point where it would impede travel through the manifold.

Lee

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Have you cleaned the inside of the bearing with ROH too or just the arm? I assume you're using an in-line filter between the arm and the pump too?

Yes, I introduced R-OH, hehe --haven't seen that since college O-chem :cool:-- by injecting it into the tubing while operating the Wisa. Bruce from ET suggested a couple of gasoline fuel filters as alternatives to the disk-shaped in-line filter that did not accompany the purchase. I used one of those.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
If using a filter, it may be partially clogged as well. I'd inspect the entire length of tubing, replace the filter, and clean the arm and manifold surfaces thorougly. A final thought is that the Wisa pump has lost efficiency and needs replacement.

Since the arm travels most of the way across the LP, it most likely seems as if there is some dirt/deposit on the arm tube at the point where it would impede travel through the manifold.

Lee

Hi Lee,

GREAT suggestion :D I suspect there is some type of deposit on the arm tube/spindle; however, vigorous cleaning with alcohol and an electric toothbrush yielded only temporary improvement :(

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The other possibility is that there is a slight swelling of the arm tube at the point where it is entering the manifold and binding. Perhaps an upgrade in pump pressure would solve this. I ran my ET2, using the Thigpen-supplied tighter-spec manifold, at 40 psi from an oil-less air compressor. The arm wouldn't move at all with the stock Wisa pump. So, it's either more clearance in the arm/manifold fit or higher air pressure (assuming you've got it all cleaned satisfactorily.)

Lee

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Despite what some others have said, this is a common problem with ET-2 tonearms. Make sure you arm is level first. If the arm is level, you will need take the spindle out of the manifold and clean the manifold really well.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Lee and Mark,

I've never disassembled nor assembled, for that matter, this arm. Hopefully, sufficient litz wire will be available so no detachment from the arm will be necessary.

Is there a trick way of pressing-out/sliding the manifold from the sleeve? What grease is recomended to lubricate the O-rings prior to re-installation?

Thanks!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I've never disassembled nor assembled, for that matter, this arm. Hopefully, sufficient litz wire will be available so no detachment from the arm will be necessary.

Is there a trick way of pressing-out/sliding the manifold from the sleeve? What grease is recomended to lubricate the O-rings prior to re-installation?

Thanks!

All you have to do is take of the cueing mechanism which is one screw. After that, you just push out the spindle. There is plenty of wire there so you won't need to unsolder anything. As for O-rings and grease, I have no idea what you are talking about. There are no O-rings on my spindle and grease is the last thing you want. Unless you have some version of the ET-2 that I don't have, there are no O-rings on the spindle.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
All you have to do is take of the cueing mechanism which is one screw. After that, you just push out the spindle. There is plenty of wire there so you won't need to unsolder anything. As for O-rings and grease, I have no idea what you are talking about. There are no O-rings on my spindle and grease is the last thing you want. Unless you have some version of the ET-2 that I don't have, there are no O-rings on the spindle.

Mark,

I'm referencing the ET Model Two Owners Manual, available on the ET website, "Cleaning the Capillaries" section.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Lee,

GREAT suggestion :D I suspect there is some type of deposit on the arm tube/spindle; however, vigorous cleaning with alcohol and an electric toothbrush yielded only temporary improvement :(

Hi Sam,

I'm an ET2 user as well. 1.5" is quite big for the arm to stop. I had a problem like this but only when the dead wax is so small and the arm cannot get in to the inner most grooves of the last cut, perhaps about 1/8". On a a record with a wide dead wax area, I have not problems.

The issue could be lack of air, whether flow or pressure. Have you tried sliding the arm (with cueing lever up) and feel the slide as it gets near to the 1.5" area? Do you feel any tightness at this area? Like the arm is not smooth moving? That can mean a lack of air. Also, try to feel it at the beginning of the record, cueing lever up, and slide it and see if there is any tightness. For some reasons, this tightness happens at the beginning and at the end. Bruce will tell you to clean the manifold by removing the arm tube first. Then check air pressure. These are normally the culprits.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

i've not owned an ET2, but on the Rockport that might be a 'level' issue on the arm shaft. and i also used acetone. regarding leveling, it's more that the arm tube is level, not the platter. if it's not level, the grooves will be trying to 'push' it uphill.....and obviously, the platter surface does need to be parallel with the arm tube.

i agree that cleaning is the most likely culprit, particularly if moisture gets into the air lines. then you may need to dry the air tubes with compressed air.

good luck!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing