LL2.1 stereo preamplifier Review

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Nice performance: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/preamplifiers/830-lamm-ll21-stereo-tube-preamplifier.html

Summary:

"In absolute terms, $6,000 for a preamplifier seems like a lot of money, and it is. But, I paid almost $3 for a loaf of bread the other day. It was really good, and worth the higher price. So is the Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe Stereo Tube Preamplifier. You get what you pay for, and although it may seem like levity, I think you are getting a little more than you pay for with this product."

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Lamm Sound at its Best ...

mojoetoo

Jul 25, 2014
alabama
Sure have all three here and can demo them side by side.

david

Thanks, I would love to listen to gear before buying but there is so little opportunity to do so in a small market like here. Where is your store in Utah? One question in particular is whether the newer LL2.1 generally speaking outpaces the older L2 Ref or are they simply on different planes considering their differing designs?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks, I would love to listen to gear before buying but there is so little opportunity to do so in a small market like here. Where is your store in Utah? One question in particular is whether the newer LL2.1 generally speaking outpaces the older L2 Ref or are they simply on different planes considering their differing designs?

We're in Cedar City which is southern Utah.

They are different but for my money the L2 is better sounding of the two. FYI, there's a new L2.1 that supersedes both.
Best to contact me offline for further information, damokallc@mac.com.

david

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We're in Cedar City which is southern Utah.

They are different but for my money the L2 is better sounding of the two. FYI, there's a new L2.1 that supersedes both.
Best to contact me offline for further information, damokallc@mac.com.

david

David,

What are the main differences in sound quality between the L2 and the L2.1 when put side by side?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,

What are the main differences in sound quality between the L2 and the L2.1 when put side by side?

L2.1 is a lot more open sounding with more articulate and deeper bass. It's also more dynamic and has more resolution.

david

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
I had the new L2.1 for a short while before opting for theLL1.1 4 pieces preamp. TheL2.1 is an incredible preamp and a must audition unit if you are in the mkt for anew preamp.
Obviously ,the LL1.1 is in a different stratosphere ,both in terms of Sonia's ,performance and $$$.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
L2.1 is a lot more open sounding with more articulate and deeper bass. It's also more dynamic and has more resolution.

david

Thanks. One more tricky question - what should be preferable for a M1.2Ref and DCS Vivaldi - the L2.1 or an old L1 (not L1.1) signature?

And yes, the M1.2 sounds great in the XLF! ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I had the new L2.1 for a short while before opting for theLL1.1 4 pieces preamp. TheL2.1 is an incredible preamp and a must audition unit if you are in the mkt for anew preamp.
Obviously ,the LL1.1 is in a different stratosphere ,both in terms of Sonia's ,performance and $$$.

Do you have the Lamm preamplfiers with the Burmester 909 mk5? Can they drive the 5.7 kohm input impedance without any transformer?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing