Do cables matter for subs?

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
In my search for cables, I ran across the Audioholics article that measured that in fact cables do matter (at least Canare 4S11 was found to be measurably better than 12 g rip cord).

Thus I am going w/ the Canare (and WBT plugs for my mains) for my loudspeakers.

However does cable matter for subs? From what I have read, not as much.

On the other hand, my rear subs require 25 feet of cable, so maybe I should stay w/ the Canare.

Advice is welcome.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Go with Canare for the subs as well ...

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
In my experience yes,simply each part effects the whole.

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
Thanks guys...it is just that I read an article somewhere that claimed that cables are more important for high ranges. I ordered the new Canare 4s8 and cheaper plugs for my rear subs. But going by the advice here, I may change my order to the Canare 4S11.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Are these powered subs or passive? If the latter, can you put the amp near the sub and run longer line-level cables instead? I realize I am far outside most of WBF folk on cables, but 25' for a sub is a bit of a run so I would tend to go higher in gauge. At sub frequencies, 25' of 12 AWG is enough to cut the effective damping factor of most amps a bit.

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
Thanks all. The subs are passive w/ a standalone amp. I would have to run super thick sub wire under my rug so doing so isn't an option.

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
Thanks all. The subs are passive w/ a standalone amp. I would have to run super thick sub wire under my rug so doing so isn't an option.

Do you already have the subs?

If so, here is what I usually recommend.

Play your subs ONLY.

Listen to the garbled, amazingly amusical noise they will produce (dependent on x-over points etc etc)

then ask yourself, is it worth spending money on it.

Easy test, then your choice.

FWIW I don't buy into cables period. At least this way, you know for yourself.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Decades ago , a friend of mine got a Janis subwoofer with external crossover and amplifier to be used with ESl63. We tried a few speaker cables with the subwoofer and were astonished to discover that the best was a thick cable manufactured by Mark Levinson. At that time other contenders were Monster and some home made large gauge cables.

BTW, the Janis looked really nice - an exotic wood finish with a symmetrical top. Why do not people design subs like this anymore? :rolleyes:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Decades ago , a friend of mine got a Janis subwoofer with external crossover and amplifier to be used with ESl63. We tried a few speaker cables with the subwoofer and were astonished to discover that the best was a thick cable manufactured by Mark Levinson. At that time other contenders were Monster and some home made large gauge cables.

BTW, the Janis looked really nice - an exotic wood finish with a symmetrical top. Why do not people design subs like this anymore? :rolleyes:

That is a GORGEOUS subwoofer. Put a 1m round glass top on it, and it would be something that the wife would be proud to have as a coffee table in the middle of the living room. If you can hide the controls and cables well enough, that might make a lovely product.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Originally Posted by terryj
FWIW I don't buy into cables period. At least this way, you know for yourself.

====
+2

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
For my subs I ordered the new Canare 4 way wire that comes into 2 13 gauge strands.

that's fine. In any case, would you be able to do what I suggested (listen to the subs ONLY) and report back what you find?

At least you can now compare the two sets of cables.

On the topic of cables (esp for subs) coupled with the other one, synergy, if you believe in synergy (and somehow that always seems to go hand in hand with rejecting the 'scientific hypothesis' of 'cables do not matter') how is it that the auditions seem to stop at 'one'??

Ie, buy ONE new cable for the subs. BUT, it is synergistic, it CANNOT be predicted before hand. What is left other than to audition many many cables?? Is it pure luck that the first cable you try is THE one?

That's fine, but WHY is it THE one? Who is to say it is not the second, or twenty second that is actually THE one?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing