Wanted: a car that is small, cheap and carries cargo!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ok you'all, need some suggestions for a new form of transportation with some unusual requirements!

Here is the setup: We have a larger property that is very narrow and very long. I forget exactly but the one dimension is half a mile or so! And here is the real need: there is a hill in the middle and our hose is at one end, and our garden patch is at the other. While we enjoy the exercise of walking back and forth, it is not always the right mode of transportation. We often carry tools, garden supplies, etc. back and forth and doing that by hand is not practical. And to say nothing of emergency bathroom breaks :).

The previous home owner left us a Chinese Quad and a battery operated golf cart. The Quad was fast and had no trouble climbing the hill. But its transmission cracked and basically the thing is not worth fixing. And at any rate, it held little and it was darn dangerous given the speed and no cabin protecting you from rain or potential crash. The golf cart had cover and such but would barely climb the hill and coming down, you would hold for dear life as the brakes would barely control this thing barreling down.

Well, for bad or good, we no longer have either vehicle. The quad broke as I mentioned and the my nephew raced the golf cart into a tree! It broke the front-end and from sitting around, the batteries are gone making that too expensive to repair.

So I went searching for a utility ATV. Found a nice ones but retail is some $11,000! And you have to wear helmets and such with them.

I started to think if there is car or truck we could get instead for that kind of money. The trick is not have them take an entire garage to store. In Japan they have these mini trucks and vans but other than some brave souls who import them, they are not available for purchase here.

I am looking at Smart for Two for example. It meets the price criteria but has no storage in the back for garden material and such. Pick up trucks start at $15K and go up and take up a lot of space. One that looks good is For Transit Connect but that goes for >$20K.

Any out of box ideas here? Or should I bit the bullet and get the utility ATVs? And on that front, any suggestions for brands and such?

Thanks in advance.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada

how about this

imagine yourself driving, your wife seated behind you and your tools in the trailer :cool:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Do you have the Suzuki Jimny Estate over there in the US?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Suzukis are little mountain goats Amir. Jimny's and older Samurais (80's) and Vitaras (90's) are very popular here for off roading. Tons of aftermarket parts. A stock 90s Vitara or Sidekick preowned will probably be under 5 grand. Get one with high mileage for 3 grand, change the engine, suspension and wheels then add a trailer hitch for your kayaks and stuff. You should be at about 10 to 12 Gs. Not bad :)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The Suzukis are little mountain goats Amir. Jimny's and older Samurais (80's) and Vitaras (90's) are very popular here for off roading. Tons of aftermarket parts. A stock 90s Vitara or Sidekick preowned will probably be under 5 grand. Get one with high mileage for 3 grand, change the engine, suspension and wheels then add a trailer hitch for your kayaks and stuff. You should be at about 10 to 12 Gs. Not bad :)

Great suggestion and I would not even bother to change the engine .. If it gives up I am home and can always call for help :) Seriously , great suggestion, a very reliable real SUV which by the way is EXTREMELY popular in Haiti where they seem to run forever. If you budget 7K you get one in excellent shape that may gibe you years of service in this application...

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The Jimmy's are nice and I second that recommendation if you want a closed, SUV-like thing. But an open bed might be more useful, and in Singapore, these Daihatsu mini-trucks are popular:

You can get 4-wheel drive versions that would make short work of your hill...... and they are available in the US.
http://www.americasminitruckcenter.com/daihatsu-japanese-mini-trucks/

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great suggestion and I would not even bother to change the engine .. If it gives up I am home and can always call for help :) Seriously , great suggestion, a very reliable real SUV which by the way is EXTREMELY popular in Haiti where they seem to run forever. If you budget 7K you get one in excellent shape that may gibe you years of service in this application...

I remember the second to the last big fires in San Diego. Somehow this little guys were able to scramble up and down big slopes big SUVs couldn't. I've seen some of these shame Land Cruisers and Nissan Patrols in races. Add a snorkel and you can even do this!

Get the wet suit handy, you might not need the Kayak after all ;) ;) ;)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Great video.. Most cars labeled SUV in the USA are not all-terrain... The BMW X-5, Lexus RX-300 , Audi Q or Nissan FX-45, etc are not all-terrain.. they look like it but are not .. The Lexus GX-470 and Mercedes G-series are real all terrain vehicles ..Capable and more agile than they look ... I wouldn't try to cross a river with these. The base car for the Lexus GX-470 , the Toyota Prado, outside of the US, has a version with the "breather" to cross streams and the like (as long as the water doesn't reach the breather).

This Suzuki is a serious all-terrain vehicle ... Will go where many all-terrain will not venture and is reliable to boot... Highly recommended ...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I know you were looking at ATVs but what about a UTV? You should be able to get a entry level leftover for around/under $8,000. Take a look at the Arctic Cat Prowler 550 or 650 (discontinued), Polaris Ranger 400 or 500, or Yamaha Rhino. I work at a shop that sells Arctic Cats and their reliability is very good but most everyone makes a decent product these days. Another plus side to a UTV (or even an ATV) is that it will have excellent resale value if you ever decide to go another route. We just picked up a new leftover 09 Prowler 550 XT from the factory and sold it for around $8,000.

Another vehicle that hasn't been mentioned are the off road or hunting style golf carts. Most of them are still gas powered and have more aggressive tires and a suspension lift to clear obstacles. Unfortunately I don't know much about them.

As far as ATVs go, something like a Arctic Cat TRV (Two Rider Vehicle) is small and versatile as the passenger seat can be removed and a large rear rack or cargo box can be installed literally in seconds. Polaris makes the Sportsman X2 models that have a cargo area that converts into a second seat. Arctic Cat has a similar dump box style ATV that is called the TBX but only has seating for one.

Then there are the numerous UTV type vehicles that the lawn tractor companies make. Cub Cadet, Kuboda, and Husqvarna are just a few of your choices.

I would also take a look at the John Deere Gator vehicles. They have a few very interesting utility vehicles that might fit your needs. I was thinking something along the lines of a T series?

I know none of these come with a cab but most of them (besides the ATVs) should be able to be fitted with something either from the dealer or aftermarket.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas. :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Matt. When I said utility ATVs, I meant the UTVs. Didn't know that was the common lingo for them :). I had looked at the Polaris 400 and thought its MSRP was $11K and hence this post.

Didn't know about the Arctic cat so need to look that up. Didn't realize the resale is good although likely whatever we buy, we will keep forever.

That kubota is sure cute :). I have a Kubota BX-25 so it will be color matched.

My issue with all of this is the amount of rain we get. So then I get into after market cabs and such and I am then looking through fuzzy plastic and such and cost goes even higher. Hence the reason I was asking about buying a highway car/truck instead.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
The MSRP for a plain Ranger 400 is $8199 so depending on how your dealers are out there and what deals are currently going on, I would think you should be able to get one for around $7600. I know Polaris used to have a "hard cab" but I'm not sure if the windows were glass or plexiglass. I know Cat offers many cab configurations with both glass and plexiglass configurations. You can even get windshield wipers. The most popular configurations we sell are a hard plastic roof with a glass windshield or a soft cab (like a jeep) with a plexiglass windshield. The soft cab is nice because you can take the doors off in nice weather. If I remember correctly the soft top with a windshield is around $700 and a full blown hard cab is a couple thousand.

FWIW, there is a Cranberry bog close to my house that has a whole fleet of those tiny imported pickups that they put ATV tires on. When I talked to the guy a few years ago he said that they were working out great for bombing around the marshes. My guess something like a Jeep, Samurai, or even a old Geo Tracker is probably your best bang for the buck though.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
It doesn't meet all your requirements, but a first generation Toyota Matrix is a good hauler! With the front seat folded flat it carries a big load. You can put ten foot small conduit or pipe inside. With the upper part of the rear hatch open you can carry twelve foot 2 by 10's.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No I did not. Still don't know what to get. Believe it or not, for now I drive my SUV back and fort :). It is more comfortable than all of this. Down side is that I am tracking dirt in it and of course, it is not very good for it using it for these short trips (since it is a leased vehicle it is not as big of an issue there).

Any further thoughts on this? I saw a really cool electric mini, Japanese style van but had no branding. It was used by the state. I guess it must have been custom/limited edition.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No I did not. Still don't know what to get. Believe it or not, for now I drive my SUV back and fort :). It is more comfortable than all of this. Down side is that I am tracking dirt in it and of course, it is not very good for it using it for these short trips (since it is a leased vehicle it is not as big of an issue there).

Any further thoughts on this? I saw a really cool electric mini, Japanese style van but had no branding. It was used by the state. I guess it must have been custom/limited edition.

You're using the Range Rover for gardening duty?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing