Your "World's Best Audio System" . . . 2012 Edition

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Originally Posted by Bruce B

Forget Servers... you want the best source playback, use the workstation that recorded it in the first place!! Use a Sonoma or Pyramix workstation!
Jeff, Bruce's suggestion should be given serious thought.

i just looked Bruce's suggested Sonoma's up. i am a techno-phobe...but they are very intriguing!!!

I suspect there is a reason Emm Labs added the retail element to his business when i believe they had previously produced largely for the commercial end. The consumer appetite (and willingness to pay) for the highest resolution/quality playback has gotten to a level where being 'back in the studio' is not beyond [some] consumer's budgets.

The above products are well within the price bounds of today's consumer high-end. The full Scarlatti deck costs MORE than the highest price model listed.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sonoma 8 DSD ~ $21k
Sonoma 24 DSD ~ $67k
Pyramix MassCore DSD/DXD ~ $36k

*converters included

Bruce, as a techno-phobe, these essentially operate like computer servers? So if i wish to play my music, i load the tracks up onto the hard drive and press play on the screen? Does the unit have selection menus, etc for whats on the hard drive? And i can hook Sonoma up to my Preamp via XLR or SE as in the consumer audio world?

Do i need all those 8-track editions if i am only going for playback and not recording? So would i just get the "basic model"...or is there a reason for ordinary playback i would need to add on 2 or 3 8-track to get to 24- or 32-track versions of the Sonoma? thanks for an explanation to a non-techie!!!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The consumer appetite (and willingness to pay) for the highest resolution/quality playback has gotten to a level where being 'back in the studio' is not beyond [some] consumer's budgets.

A good pro DAC and a set of active studio monitors would do a lot more to get you "back in the studio" though.

The above products are well within the price bounds of today's consumer high-end. The full Scarlatti deck costs MORE than the highest price model listed.

...and that speaks volumes.

Tim

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Jeff

as you might already know, this site is laden with analog gurus. To that extent would you give any consideration to offering a second TWBAS, one with tubes rather than solid state. I would bet it would be well received not only here but also wherever the article will be read such as your ultraaudio

I would certainly be open to it, but only if it fit the system model of high fidelity -- I'm looking for the most accurate, highest-resolution audio system I can find. Could that incorporate tubes? Perhaps so . . .

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now THAT is a server! Would love to hear it. Are there contact details to stay in touch with them?

I will keep you updated if I find out anything. Right now, not a commercial product and no plans to make it one.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Sonoma 8 DSD ~ $21k
Sonoma 24 DSD ~ $67k
Pyramix MassCore DSD/DXD ~ $36k

*converters included

Trying to wrap my head around this . . . does it use Meitner DACs? It seems to include that for the $21k model.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I agree, but if you're trying to maximizing 16/44.1, and because of lifestyle considerations are into headphone listening, the Benchmark is a wonderful DAC.

Not to mention the audibility of sample-rate conversion is pretty questionable. Some think up-conversion sounds better. Some think it sounds worse. Some don't hear a difference. Has anyone consistently differentiated them in blind testing? At the least, any differences that exist are very, very small. One might even say insignificant enough to put the issue on that fine line between what's best and what's just more expensive. I am maximizing 16/44.1 - in headphones and speakers. 16/44.1 is the overwhelming majority of my music collection, as it must be in any large digital music collection.

Tim

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Jeff

as you might already know, this site is laden with analog gurus. To that extent would you give any consideration to offering a second TWBAS, one with tubes rather than solid state. I would bet it would be well received not only here but also wherever the article will be read such as your ultraaudio

Steve,

There's some tube-based amplifications that are candidate here :) VTL, Lamm, Shindo...
Some gear, either tubed or solid state, is really beyond any comparison between tubes and SS :cool: Then, I guess that whether Jeff will decide to pick the speakers as first component (like I would do) the choice of the amplification will be inevitably "restricted".
I'll really in favor of adding an analogue source to the system: currently it seems that the fanciest analogue is R2R, but, being Studer & Co out of production, the chances to see some tapes is low... :(

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Granted you probably won't have the usual playlist, cover art and remote luxuries but the price of a Sonoma 8 inclusive of Converters is pretty compelling.

The only downfall I see with Sonoma is that it only does DSD. If you want to playback PCM, you'll need another platform. We use Pyramix for that.

Trying to wrap my head around this . . . does it use Meitner DACs? It seems to include that for the $21k model.

Yes, you can use either Meitner, Mytek or Grimm. Anything with an ST-optical interface. The Sonoma 8 comes with the EMM Labs 8IV and ADC 8IV. We use the Playback Designs MPS-5 as a DAC for Sonoma.

Bruce, as a techno-phobe, these essentially operate like computer servers? So if i wish to play my music, i load the tracks up onto the hard drive and press play on the screen? Does the unit have selection menus, etc for whats on the hard drive? And i can hook Sonoma up to my Preamp via XLR or SE as in the consumer audio world?

Do i need all those 8-track editions if i am only going for playback and not recording? So would i just get the "basic model"...or is there a reason for ordinary playback i would need to add on 2 or 3 8-track to get to 24- or 32-track versions of the Sonoma? thanks for an explanation to a non-techie!!!

Yes, the basic 8 track Sonoma will do. I think Pyramix will go up to 256 tracks.

Just connect either the Pyramix or Sonoma to your DAC of choice and then to your pre via XLR.

Last edited:

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I am detracting a little bit from the main subject, but I am about to make a wild prediction... that, the Spectral 360 Series II and 30SS Series II preamp will remain in production for a very long time, co-existing with new Spectral monos of higher power (and model number) along with a super $20K preamp (also with a high model number).

If my predictions are correct, I expect Spectral to reward me with a free combo :cool:

3 years ago (before I moved to the USA) a reviewer of the Italian magazine Audio Review visited the Spectral factory. In his reportage, he wrote that Spectral was working on a new preamp, not to be a substitute of the DMC-30 series, named DMC-40: the plan was to build a 2-chassis unit (separate PSU) with an internal phono stage.
More recently, through a NY retailer and a Spectral Italian enthusiast (who, I guess, is in contact with the company), I've heard about the constantly postponed announcement of a stand-alone phono stage.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
@docvale: I am drooling all over. I hope they fix the heat issues they had the previous built-in phono section of the DMC-20, which would give the board only roughly a 10-year lifespan.

Last edited:

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Not to mention the audibility of sample-rate conversion is pretty questionable. Some think up-conversion sounds better. Some think it sounds worse. Some don't hear a difference. Has anyone consistently differentiated them in blind testing? At the least, any differences that exist are very, very small. One might even say insignificant enough to put the issue on that fine line between what's best and what's just more expensive. I am maximizing 16/44.1 - in headphones and speakers. 16/44.1 is the overwhelming majority of my music collection, as it must be in any large digital music collection.

Tim

I find it easy to hear the effects of real time sample-rate conversion, but you need a DAC that can turn it off & on, something the Benchmark doesn't allow.

You should start a thread and tell us how you're maximizing 16/44.1 - in headphones and speakers.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Man, you all type so fast. I was on the first page and now here :).

Anyway, I was busy doing some homework on my proposal here.

I like to propose the Mark Levinson 53 as the amplifier. This thing should have ample power to drive any speaker load and take way its deficiencies as a contribution to sound. More importantly though, I have asked Harman and looks like a pair can be had on loan if the time frame is in July on. Let me know if you like to proceed with this path and I can get the ball rolling.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I find it easy to hear the effects of real time sample-rate conversion, but you need a DAC that can turn it off & on, something the Benchmark doesn't allow.

You should start a thread and tell us how you're maximizing 16/44.1 - in headphones and speakers.

Oh, my simplistic approach would hardly be worth an entire thread -- galvanic isolation, re-clocking outside of the computer, a good DAC and, of course this would apply to hi-res as well -- active speakers in a well-controlled room.

Tim

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Man, you all type so fast. I was on the first page and now here :).

Anyway, I was busy doing some homework on my proposal here.

I like to propose the Mark Levinson 53 as the amplifier. This thing should have ample power to drive any speaker load and take way its deficiencies as a contribution to sound. More importantly though, I have asked Harman and looks like a pair can be had on loan if the time frame is in July on. Let me know if you like to proceed with this path and I can get the ball rolling.

Hi,
Do you know whether Harman is planning to come out with a new reference line preamp? :cool:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi,
Do you know whether Harman is planning to come out with a new reference line preamp? :cool:
I am not at liberty to talk about their future plans without their consent. If I find out something they would like me to share, I will do so :).

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
A good pro DAC and a set of active studio monitors would do a lot more to get you "back in the studio" though.

...and that speaks volumes.

Tim
I know this may be a bit controversial to say, but I have seen many studios that use speakers that I think are inferior to the best speakers available to the audiophile market. Now I also know that the opposite is true as well. But I think it is inaccurate to say that just because it is used in a studio, or just because it is active, it is the best solution. (I'm not claiming that that is your claim, just using your post to make my point.)

3 years ago (before I moved to the USA) a reviewer of the Italian magazine Audio Review visited the Spectral factory. In his reportage, he wrote that Spectral was working on a new preamp, not to be a substitute of the DMC-30 series, named DMC-40: the plan was to build a 2-chassis unit (separate PSU) with an internal phono stage.
Now this is something worth looking into!

The system is still some months out from being decided upon. I did speak with Kevin Voecks in Munich last year and we briefly discussed doing a No.53 review. It looks to be outstanding and is certainly a contender.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Here is another requirement that I think should be placed on the system: it should be full range.

However (and this is something I plan to write about on Ultra Audio), I think it might be time to revise the definition of full range. Presently, it is considered to be 20Hz to 20kHz. But with the move towards higher-rez recordings, should that now be revised to 20Hz to 40kHz, to at least cover 88.2kHz sample-rate material?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing