Your "World's Best Audio System" . . . 2012 Edition

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
This is a seriously entertaining thread!

My taste leans to the detailed so here goes:

Spectral DMA 360 series II amplifiers, MIT Oracle MA-X Rev 2 interconnects, MIT Oracle MA-X HD Rev 2 speaker cables, MIT Oracle MA-X digital cable, Berkeley Alpha USB (Acoustic Revive USB cable), Berkeley Alpha DAC, Wilson X2 speakers (won't impact the sound but mine would be white!). I am open to different computer sources. If an actual CD player needs to be listed it would be Spectral's latest SDR 4000 (forget the actual name but it's recent).

It's a pretty simple system and not too many vendors involved so it may not do the project justice but it's what i'd be listening too if dollars rained from the sky this afternoon.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
This is a seriously entertaining thread!

My taste leans to the detailed so here goes:

Spectral DMA 360 series II amplifiers, MIT Oracle MA-X Rev 2 interconnects, MIT Oracle MA-X HD Rev 2 speaker cables, MIT Oracle MA-X digital cable, Berkeley Alpha USB (Acoustic Revive USB cable), Berkeley Alpha DAC, Wilson X2 speakers (won't impact the sound but mine would be white!). I am open to different computer sources. If an actual CD player needs to be listed it would be Spectral's latest SDR 4000 (forget the actual name but it's recent).

It's a pretty simple system and not too many vendors involved so it may not do the project justice but it's what i'd be listening too if dollars rained from the sky this afternoon.

Lots of Spectral suggestions coming in . . . does the SDR4000 have a 24/192 digital input?

Are the 360 S2 amps slated for replacement anytime soon?

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Jeff I do not believe so (amps). Some have speculated that they will be revised to reflect the boards in the 260 but this is only a couple years into the production of the series 2 so I would guess years before a revision occurs (given Spectral's past lengthy product cycles).

No, the player does not have a digital input but rumor has it there will be a 2 box Spectral player with stand alone dac in the future. No telling when that will be. Others on the board may have greater knowledge.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
This won't be of much help to you Jeff, as I doubt much of this will be coming to your house. Mac as server. iPad as controller. Pro DAC -- Weiss or Benchmark, probably Benchmark because I remain unconvinced that the considerable extra dollars in the Weiss show up in its performance. iTunes for the player with Pure Music just for handling hi-res files. I'd put that in a purpose built room and send it to the best active studio mains monitors I could find, but I'd have to search as I haven't heard many of the contenders. I'd probably start my search with the big Adams.

If I had to stay domestic, only the speakers would change, and they'd be Linkwitz Orions, powered by whatever Dr. Linkwitz recommends, which currently is Amplifier Technologies Inc. AT6012. I might also have to give Adam's Tensor Series Alphas a listen, but no World's Best Audio System I'd personally put together would be passive. I'm too far down that road.

Tim

PS: if money is no object and I can hire someone to maintain the damn thing for me, I might want an analog source for those vintage recordings that are so poorly remastered for digital that the vinyl sounds better, even to me. I'd have to ask around here for recommendations, though. :)

I've talked with lots of designers over the years and there is no question that active holds many advantages . . . except one: commercial viability. Most audiophiles don't want them.

One knock against the Benchmark these days seems to be that it sample-rate converts all incoming signals to 110kHz. Playing files at their native sample rate seems to produce the best sound.

BTW, have you tried Audirvana? Really, really good . . . and free.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'll play...

Turntable:
Win Tinnon's Saskia

Tonearm:
Durand Talea II -- http://www.durand-tonearms.com/About/about.html

Cartridge:
Ortfon A90 -- http://www.ortofon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=253&Itemid=270

Phono Pre:
Experience Music Kahn with Mercury Rectification -- http://www.jeffreywjackson.com/KahnLCR.htm

Line Stage:
Experience Music Kahn

Amplifier(s):
Experience Music Intonation -- http://www.jeffreywjackson.com/Intonation.htm
----or----
Found Music 45/2A3 (with dual separate power supplies) -- http://found-music.com/45.html

Speakers:
Evolution Acoustics MM3 -- http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/mmthree.html

Rack:
Silent Running Craz2 and Ohio Class Amplifier Stands -- http://www.silentrunningaudio.com/products/craz_isorack.htm

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I've talked with lots of designers over the years and there is no question that active holds many advantages . . . except one: commercial viability. Most audiophiles don't want them.

Yep. I'm just not sure which came first, the market or the marketing. There's an awful lot of money to be made in all those boxes and all that trading and upgrading.

BTW, have you tried Audirvana? Really, really good . . . and free.

Is there an audible difference, even with redbook files? I'm really into maximizing 16/44.1 as there is very little audiophile music that interests me, and so much great music that has not been truly remastered to hi-res.

Tim

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Scaena would be another interesting alternative on the speaker front.

Maybe some ML CLXs to add for something different as well.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Scaena would be another interesting alternative on the speaker front.

I second the Scaena mention.
I would like to add the Bryston 28B.
Burmester 808 Preamp an old favorite of mine
The Evo Acoust. MM7 or MM3.
Von Shweikert VR11
Another Old standby which to this day, does things most mega-speakers can only hint at: Genesis 1.2
If it's not asking too much :) Could someone review a combo of Martin Logan CLX with a pair of JL Audio Gotham?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I don't even have a short list right now. I was looking back at the Munich coverage and thinking about leads. There are so many interesting components out there. Digital control centers as opposed to preamps seem to be gaining even more momentum -- for those with only digital sources. Driver development from speaker companies has advanced greatly over the past few years.

I guess one thing I'd say is that I've always been partial to good digital sources and dynamic-driver, direct-radiating loudspeakers -- those two things really encompass most of the market, however. Having said that, I would not be opposed to going in a new direction.

Jeff

as you might already know, this site is laden with analog gurus. To that extent would you give any consideration to offering a second TWBAS, one with tubes rather than solid state. I would bet it would be well received not only here but also wherever the article will be read such as your ultraaudio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree with Steve. Just look at the small sampling of the tube v SS pre amp thread...2:1 in favor of tube pres.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Forget Servers... you want the best source playback, use the workstation that recorded it in the first place!! Use a Sonoma or Pyramix workstation!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bruce-How much are they?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I too am looking for that all-out music server. I do know of one: http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php...i-on-music-servers&catid=31:general&Itemid=46

But alas, it is not an available product, and therefore precludes use. :(

Not to veer too far off topic, Jeff, but here's what the ultraaudio designer says it all boils down to:

This means streaming low-jitter, bit-perfect audio to the DAC while eliminating all sources of interference, be they electrical, mechanical, or programmatic.

It seems to me that amounts to galvanic isolation, re-clocking outside of the computer, and sending the clean, jitter-reduced perfect bits to the DAC. And it's all well and good of some server designers have found a way to galvanically isolate and re-clock effectively enough inside the server box (right there with the computer), that's cool, but I'm not sure I understand why it is a big deal or a major accomplishment. What am I missing?

Tim

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Jeff I do not believe so (amps). Some have speculated that they will be revised to reflect the boards in the 260 but this is only a couple years into the production of the series 2 so I would guess years before a revision occurs (given Spectral's past lengthy product cycles).

No, the player does not have a digital input but rumor has it there will be a 2 box Spectral player with stand alone dac in the future. No telling when that will be. Others on the board may have greater knowledge.

I am detracting a little bit from the main subject, but I am about to make a wild prediction... that, the Spectral 360 Series II and 30SS Series II preamp will remain in production for a very long time, co-existing with new Spectral monos of higher power (and model number) along with a super $20K preamp (also with a high model number).

If my predictions are correct, I expect Spectral to reward me with a free combo :cool:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This kind of thread is always a little bit of a teaser:rolleyes: My current 'BEST' system would most likely consist of the Clearaudio Statement TT and Statement TT1 arm along with a Koetsu CoralStone Platinum.
The electronics being both the Dartzeel NHB18NS preamp and NHB508 mono amps for ss and/or the Lamm LL1 Signature and ML3 Signatures for tubes. Speakers: The new Sonus Faber Fenice or as it is now called: THE SONUS FABER. All cabling: Nordost ODIN.

Additional Source: Studer A810 or C37 R to R.

Furniture: Stillpoints ESS stands.

Have no idea as to the cost of this system, but I suspect if you have to ask...:D

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Forget Servers... you want the best source playback, use the workstation that recorded it in the first place!! Use a Sonoma or Pyramix workstation!
Jeff, Bruce's suggestion should be given serious thought.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
One knock against the Benchmark these days seems to be that it sample-rate converts all incoming signals to 110kHz. Playing files at their native sample rate seems to produce the best sound.

I agree, but if you're trying to maximizing 16/44.1, and because of lifestyle considerations are into headphone listening, the Benchmark is a wonderful DAC.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jeff, Bruce's suggestion should be given serious thought.

Granted you probably won't have the usual playlist, cover art and remote luxuries but the price of a Sonoma 8 inclusive of Converters is pretty compelling.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing