Your "World's Best Audio System" . . . 2012 Edition

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
In 2008 I started a thread on the Audio/Video Science Forum titled “Your ‘World’s Best Audio System.’” I solicited suggestions from the members there for what would become The World’s Best Audio System 2009 (TWBAS 2009), an event that I held at my home in Coastal North Carolina in March of that year. That project was a lot of fun and generated a handful of articles that appeared on the SoundStage! Network. Here are the two that I wrote:

TWBAS 2009: The Arrival: http://ultraaudio.com/twbas/twbas_20090301.htm
TWBAS 2009: The Event: http://ultraaudio.com/twbas/twbas_20090401.htm

It took pretty massive coordination to put all this together, but it turned out to be a real hoot. My column (2004 to present) on Ultra Audio is about covering the best audio equipment I can find, and is auditioned in a system that’s “what’s best” for me (which will be totally different for you).

Fast forward to now: Let’s do it again! TWBAS 2012 will be selected over the next four to five months and will be assembled early next year in my home, and then written about extensively by SoundStage! Network writers. I have a completely clean slate for TWBAS 2012 -- nothing has been chosen, everything is an option.

Basically, I’d like to hear from you what audio system -- with no regard to cost or practicality -- you would assemble if the sky were the limit. Throw caution and good sense to the wind.

Link to news story: http://soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=14&Itemid=43

Conditions: The overriding goal is fidelity to the recording. High-resolution two-channel audio is a must (in whatever form that might take). The manufacturers chosen must be willing to send review samples and travel to my home to help assemble the system. The components need to be finished product, for sale to audiophiles, by CES 2012. My room is 23’ x 20’, so it must fit. If anyone is interested in articles on my room, see these:

Building the Music Vault -- Part One: http://ultraaudio.com/twbas/twbas_20050915.htm
Building the Music Vault -- Part Two: http://ultraaudio.com/twbas/twbas_20051215.htm
Building the Music Vault -- Part Three: http://ultraaudio.com/twbas/twbas_20060215.htm

Disclaimer: This project is first and foremost about having fun; not life or death; not meant to offend or alienate. Please have fun with it, as that is the intention of posting it here. Hopefully it will also generate some good discussion on what is truly SOTA today, right now.

So, let’s hear what you think would be “The World’s Best Audio System” . . .

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Great.

Q: Are you looking for complete system recommendations or components would do too?

Both. Individual components and/or complete systems.

Since SoundStage! Network is 100% online, we do not consider ourselves a North American-based publication. So I will certainly consider products from any country, if that makes a difference.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Can we ask what components and speakers are on your short list at present

I don't even have a short list right now. I was looking back at the Munich coverage and thinking about leads. There are so many interesting components out there. Digital control centers as opposed to preamps seem to be gaining even more momentum -- for those with only digital sources. Driver development from speaker companies has advanced greatly over the past few years.

I guess one thing I'd say is that I've always been partial to good digital sources and dynamic-driver, direct-radiating loudspeakers -- those two things really encompass most of the market, however. Having said that, I would not be opposed to going in a new direction.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
This is going to be a funny thread! I'll base my contribution according to some personal audio experience and the consequent perspectives.
The best systems I've ever heard were:
- Magico Mini Series I, driven by Spectral DMC-30SS Series I and Spectral DMA-250. Digital sources were dCS Scarlatti full stack or Spectral SDR-4000 Pro. Analogue source was Basis 2200 + Vector 3, Lyra Helikon cartridge and FM Acoustics 122 phono.
- Focal Grand Utopia EM Series III, driven by VTL TL7.5 Series II and VTL Sigfried. Digital source was dCS Puccini. No analogue source was playing.

Accordingly, my candidates would be:
Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SS Series II + DMA-360 Series II, or VTL TL7.5 Series III + Sigfried. I think these solutions are both beyond the dispute between valves and solid state. I've heard other great and impressive amplifications (Soulution, Burmester, ARC...), but, if I'd ever be able, I'd buy one of these two systems.
Speakers: I'd choose speaker systems that are frequently used in shows and demos and that are broadly liked. They could be a system out of: Magico Q5, Wilson Alexandria Series II, Focal Grand Utopia EM Series III or Rockport Arrakis. All these systems should be idoneously driven by the amplifications I selected.
Digital Source: The Spectral SDR-4000 was the most pleasant player I've ever listened to, but it has the intrinsic limit to be restricted to CD and to not accept digital data from an external source, so I would exclude it. Whether with a drive or not, the source should be able to play 24/192 files and to be easily interfaced with a computer. Here I have way less experience to be based on. Candidates could be EMM Labs DAC2, dCS Debussy, Playback Designs MDS-5 or MSB DAC IV Diamond.
Music Server: I had a very enthusiastic experience with a Meridian Sooloos connected with the EMM Labs DAC2, but, honestly, I'd prefer a normal computer as a music server. Ideally, I would choose a Mac-based server with iTunes (I like it's interface a lot), improved with a software like Amarra or Pure Music, controlled by an iPad and connected via USB to the DAC.
Analogue Source: It's not clear to me whether analogue would be considered, but here there's my nomination anyway. As reported, I liked a lot the Basis-Lyra-FM system, but another great experience was a restored Thorens TD-124 with Ikeda IT-407 arm and EMT cartridge (actually it was the cheapest of the catalogues, but I don't remember the name...) connected with an Einstein The Turntable Choice preamp. As a concept I like direct drive solutions, but the current production is very limited and I've heard only the excellent Italian table S.A.P. Tempo (with Fidelity Research FR-66 arm and a wide series of cartridges - the collection of the Italian audio reviewer Marco Benedetti -). Unfortunately I've never heard the beautiful Rockport Sirius III, which is also out of production... Maybe a table like the Basis Inspiration, with Vector 4 arm would catch more the enthusiasm of a wide cohort of audiophiles. As cartridge, I'd choose the Lyra Titan. As phone preamp, either the FM Acoustics 222 or the Einstein The Turntable Choice (4-chassis version).

I'm not expressing preferences for cables and racks (well, a Spectral system would go with MIT cables, I guess...).

I'm looking forward to read your candidates, guys!

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
This is going to be a funny thread! I'll base my contribution according to some personal audio experience and the consequent perspectives.
The best systems I've ever heard were:
- Magico Mini Series I, driven by Spectral DMC-30SS Series I and Spectral DMA-250. Digital sources were dCS Scarlatti full stack or Spectral SDR-4000 Pro. Analogue source was Basis 2200 + Vector 3, Lyra Helikon cartridge and FM Acoustics 122 phono.
- Focal Grand Utopia EM Series III, driven by VTL TL7.5 Series II and VTL Sigfried. Digital source was dCS Puccini. No analogue source was playing.

Accordingly, my candidates would be:
Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SS Series II + DMA-360 Series II, or VTL TL7.5 Series III + Sigfried. I think these solutions are both beyond the dispute between valves and solid state. I've heard other great and impressive amplifications (Soulution, Burmester, ARC...), but, if I'd ever be able, I'd buy one of these two systems.
Speakers: I'd choose speaker systems that are frequently used in shows and demos and that are broadly liked. They could be a system out of: Magico Q5, Wilson Alexandria Series II, Focal Grand Utopia EM Series III or Rockport Arrakis. All these systems should be idoneously driven by the amplifications I selected.
Digital Source: The Spectral SDR-4000 was the most pleasant player I've ever listened to, but it has the intrinsic limit to be restricted to CD and to not accept digital data from an external source, so I would exclude it. Whether with a drive or not, the source should be able to play 24/192 files and to be easily interfaced with a computer. Here I have way less experience to be based on. Candidates could be EMM Labs DAC2, dCS Debussy, Playback Designs MDS-5 or MSB DAC IV Diamond.
Music Server: I had a very enthusiastic experience with a Meridian Sooloos connected with the EMM Labs DAC2, but, honestly, I'd prefer a normal computer as a music server. Ideally, I would choose a Mac-based server with iTunes (I like it's interface a lot), improved with a software like Amarra or Pure Music, controlled by an iPad and connected via USB to the DAC.
Analogue Source: It's not clear to me whether analogue would be considered, but here there's my nomination anyway. As reported, I liked a lot the Basis-Lyra-FM system, but another great experience was a restored Thorens TD-124 with Ikeda IT-407 arm and EMT cartridge (actually it was the cheapest of the catalogues, but I don't remember the name...) connected with an Einstein The Turntable Choice preamp. As a concept I like direct drive solutions, but the current production is very limited and I've heard only the excellent Italian table S.A.P. Tempo (with Fidelity Research FR-66 arm and a wide series of cartridges - the collection of the Italian audio reviewer Marco Benedetti -). Unfortunately I've never heard the beautiful Rockport Sirius III, which is also out of production... Maybe a table like the Basis Inspiration, with Vector 4 arm would catch more the enthusiasm of a wide cohort of audiophiles. As cartridge, I'd choose the Lyra Titan. As phone preamp, either the FM Acoustics 222 or the Einstein The Turntable Choice (4-chassis version).

I'm not expressing preferences for cables and racks (well, a Spectral system would go with MIT cables, I guess...).

I'm looking forward to read your candidates, guys!

I appreciate your choices in gear! I actually have a dCS Debussy in now (the Weiss DAC202 is also really outstanding).

I've heard only good things from the Spectral-based systems I've heard, but I know they don't submit review samples often. But I suppose that could change . . . . Same with FM Acoustics, though they should be on the list of candidates to explore without question, based on their long history.

Also, I did have the Rockport Arrakis in TWBAS 2009 -- it is a mind-bending speaker for sure.

Your other suggestions are all worthy contenders. Food for thought.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wooofff!!! I predict this Threat is gonna be a G-R-E-A-T read! Wow...okay, here is my two cents (* - strong preference)

- Speakers: Wilson A-2, Series II* & Arrakkis* (isn't there a new one* coming out...self-powered subs or something?), Tidal Sunray* with subs*
- Subs: Gotham 213
- Pre/Power: Gryphon Mephisto* and Pandora*, Tidal Prescenio*, Tidal ref amps*, (CJ GAT*/ART), FM Acoustics latest references 1811*, 268?*, Robert Koch's KODA Takumi Amp & K-10
- Conditioning: Tripoint Spartan* (with all the fixins' (silver wire upgrades, etc!)
- Cabling: Transp Ref Opus MM2*, Argento SMR EE, Jorma Prime
- Isolation: HRS* full rack with their latest tech
- Source: Stahl-Tek* Vekian & Vekian Transport; difficult...so much has happened since last TWBAS. and yet i still like my Zanden for "music" listening, as opposed to the latest in resolution, etc...particularly when one considers how much material is on 16/44.1. i even preferred it to Scarlatti despite Scarlatti being way more resolved. i would love to think someone out there has done a proper, no-holds-barred server* that just absolutely smokes everything...but i have yet to hear of it. i am not a vinyl person at all.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Hey Jeff,

It's true that Spectral is not that used to send gear for review (actually the only ones I've read are from Robert Harley and they're just a few in a 25 years time window...) but I noticed, both on magazines and websites, that they're demoing a lot lately. I think that whether the speakers were from Magico or Wilson (which are solid partners of Spectral in expos and showrooms) you could have those gear...

I know you've already had Rockport in your dream-system... I mentioned them as, in any case, they're speakers that are on the mouth of everyone and, usually, get outstanding evaluations... unfortunately I've never had the chance to listen to them :-(

Digital sources instead are probably the most growing field in the hi-end universe, but, on the other hand, differences in digital gear are frequently way more sneaky than among other pieces of an audio system... I have no doubt that Weiss stuff sounds amazing :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
No one has done a review of the Evolution Acoustics MM3 or MM7

Amplification should be the DartZeel monoblocs, Spectral or the new behemoths from Nelson Pass

Analog should be the Wave Kinetics NVS

Digital of course Playback Designs MPS-5

The ultimate should be a tricked out Studer A80 or A820!

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Wooofff!!! I predict this Threat is gonna be a G-R-E-A-T read! Wow...okay, here is my two cents (* - strong preference)

- Speakers: Wilson A-2, Series II* & Arrakkis* (isn't there a new one* coming out...self-powered subs or something?), Tidal Sunray* with subs*
- Subs: Gotham 213
- Pre/Power: Gryphon Mephisto* and Pandora*, Tidal Prescenio*, Tidal ref amps*, (CJ GAT*/ART), FM Acoustics latest references 1811*, 268?*, Robert Koch's KODA Takumi Amp & K-10
- Conditioning: Tripoint Spartan* (with all the fixins' (silver wire upgrades, etc!)
- Cabling: Transp Ref Opus MM2*, Argento SMR EE, Jorma Prime
- Isolation: HRS* full rack with their latest tech
- Source: Stahl-Tek* Vekian & Vekian Transport; difficult...so much has happened since last TWBAS. and yet i still like my Zanden for "music" listening, as opposed to the latest in resolution, etc...particularly when one considers how much material is on 16/44.1. i even preferred it to Scarlatti despite Scarlatti being way more resolved. i would love to think someone out there has done a proper, no-holds-barred server* that just absolutely smokes everything...but i have yet to hear of it. i am not a vinyl person at all.

Some great suggestions! I actually have the Gryphon Colosseum and Mirage in my system now, but the Pandora and Mephisto have my mouth watering. ;)

I also have JL Audio Gothams, and a pair of Tidal Piano Ceras in for review on July 1.

Yes, the Arrakis is now in Series II form, with active bass drivers and a three-way configuration for the midbass, midrange, and highs. It comes with an active crossover.

I too am looking for that all-out music server. I do know of one: http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php...i-on-music-servers&catid=31:general&Itemid=46

But alas, it is not an available product, and therefore precludes use. :(

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
No one has done a review of the Evolution Acoustics MM3 or MM7

Amplification should be the DartZeel monoblocs, Spectral or the new behemoths from Nelson Pass

Analog should be the Wave Kinetics NVS

Digital of course Playback Designs MPS-5

The ultimate should be a tricked out Studer A80 or A820!

I really do want to get a good listen to the Evolution Acoustics speakers. I've admired them from afar for a long while.

I wonder when the Pass amps when become real product -- perhaps they are now?

Playback Designs is definitely on my list.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
AMPS: Constellation, D’Agostino, Technical Brain and ARC's 750Wpc monoblock replacement for the 610T if it's availablle.

Speakers: Symposium Panorama

PanoramaRMAFHeadME.jpg

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Perhaps Shindo Latour speakers with Petrus and Lafon electronics.

This would be a great contrast to suggestions in this thread so far.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I really do want to get a good listen to the Evolution Acoustics speakers. I've admired them from afar for a long while.

I wonder when the Pass amps when become real product -- perhaps they are now?

Playback Designs is definitely on my list.

Jonathan is a member here. Perhaps you might ask him

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I have a suggestion for you, Jeff...

So, let’s hear what you think would be “The World’s Best Audio System” . . .

How about 15 or 30 ips, 2-track, analog reel as the source with no processing, noise reduction, or equalization...also, it must be AAA -- no digitization along the chain which includes any transfers.

On the other end, let's try a full-range Hill Plasmatronics as the transducer.

The electronics between these two could be rather pedestrian ;)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
This won't be of much help to you Jeff, as I doubt much of this will be coming to your house. Mac as server. iPad as controller. Pro DAC -- Weiss or Benchmark, probably Benchmark because I remain unconvinced that the considerable extra dollars in the Weiss show up in its performance. iTunes for the player with Pure Music just for handling hi-res files. I'd put that in a purpose built room and send it to the best active studio mains monitors I could find, but I'd have to search as I haven't heard many of the contenders. I'd probably start my search with the big Adams.

If I had to stay domestic, only the speakers would change, and they'd be Linkwitz Orions, powered by whatever Dr. Linkwitz recommends, which currently is Amplifier Technologies Inc. AT6012. I might also have to give Adam's Tensor Series Alphas a listen, but no World's Best Audio System I'd personally put together would be passive. I'm too far down that road.

Tim

PS: if money is no object and I can hire someone to maintain the damn thing for me, I might want an analog source for those vintage recordings that are so poorly remastered for digital that the vinyl sounds better, even to me. I'd have to ask around here for recommendations, though. :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing