Velodyne FSR-18 Repair

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I just wanted to post about the excellant service I received from the technical support people down at Velodyne.

I purchased a Velodyne FSR-18 back in 1999 and it is a fine subwoofer. The beginning of June I started having problems with it,making noise and oscillating on startup. I called Velodyne and talked to Pete in support and found that they still service my subwoofer. I received instructions on how to remove the servo amplifier from them. It took about 5 minutes,pretty easy and they sent me a RGA form. I filled that out and sent the amplifier to them.

In about 10 days I received it back,installed it,and now it is better then ever,updated and working perfectly,all for the reasonable cost of 275.00

Thank you Velodyne

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I'll bet pretty much what they did was replace all the Chinese defective electrolytic capacitors with new ones. Those seem to be the #1 failure mode for powered subwoofers made in the end of the 90s.

qball9703

Sep 16, 2016
FSR-18 repair

I'll bet pretty much what they did was replace all the Chinese defective electrolytic capacitors with new ones. Those seem to be the #1 failure mode for powered subwoofers made in the end of the 90s.

Hi Mark / All,

The shorter story is that I have a FSR-18 that I think has a servo control circuit (or amp) issue. I am looking for someone, preferably Houston local, that can repair this unit on a sub-component level. ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

The longer story..... I recently purchased a FSR-18 from a new audio friend knowing that it was not 100% (I thought it would be a simple fix). So... 90-95% of the time this thing works fine and pounds like it should. That other 5-10-% of the time, it sounds like it is near self destruction. Honestly it sounds like a blown voice coil but as I said above, the voice coil is fine and all works as it should 90-95% of the time. I have played around a little bit with the internal connections and am leaning towards an issue with the servo control circuit. I disconnected what I believe is the servo feedback circuit and there was noticeable loss of woofer cone control and much more movement at very low amplifier gain. So, to live with it when I use it, when it "freaks out", I just crank up the volume to a sufficient level so that the woofer gets moving a good bit and essentially beats itself back into compliance. This obviously is not optimal but based on the above info, I am of the opinion that the woofer / voice coil is fine, the amp is "mostly" fine, the servo control circuit / amp are suspect.

I took it to a "certified" Velodyne repair center here in Houston. They kindly took my $108 and proceeded to call me back a few days later informing me that I needed an entirely new plate amp. They told me that they looked around on the internet for parts / info with no luck. I let them know that I wanted the old amp back if they replaced the new one and they seemed to do a bit of crawfishing... stating that they would return it if Velodyne allowed it. I informed them that unless there was a core charge associated with returning my amp to Velodyne, the "bad" amp was mine whether repaired / replaced or not. My Velodyne was reassembled and returned to me unrepaired. Velodyne no longer offers any service or support for this model. I have a bit of difficulty believing that this "certified" repair shop did not already know, before collecting $108 from me, that this model was no longer supported / serviced by Velodyne. $108 lesson for me!!

Sooo... as stated above, any help in bringing this great, but 18 year old, subwoofer back to life, would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quint.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing