Do I need to reduce the EM field around my cable?

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
Sorry for so many questions, but I am down to 2 cables, either Belden 5000UE 12 g or Canare4S11.

The advantage of the Canare 4 way is, according to the BJ site, "when conventionally wired, star quad speaker cable has the advantage of reducing the EM field around the cable, which will tend to diminish the effect of the signal in the speaker cable upon nearby interconnects--though this is not, in most applications, a significant concern."

In my application I might want it, since I have so many pieces of equipment, not to mention 9 speakers and 6 18 inch subs (although only 3 amps for them).

If I get the Canare I will probably need larger banana plugs like these Naklamichi's: http://www.nakamichiplug.com/product-0575G50.html

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I really doubt you will need it.

It is generally good practice to put some space between high (speaker) and low (line) level interconnects anyway. However, unless the cable is fully shielded, twisting only accomplishes so much to reduce radiated EMF.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
That will keep the cables nicely bundled but offers no shielding (unless I misread, it's just a nylon sheath). I would avoid bundling speaker and interconnect cables if at all possible, but it's probably just an abundance of caution (brought on by commercial work, when I might have 100' or more of lines from stage to mixer). I do like the braid for a clean install and good wire dressage. - Don

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing