Anyone have the DMC-30SS?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There's been a few comments around the net that some owners of the 30SS do not like it, yet others do. Does anyone here own one and can they offer opinions?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here are a couple of interesting comments I found on this subject, interspersed within another thread: http://www.avguide.com/forums/can-avalon-isis-still-hold-its-own
I also responded with my own comments to someone who didn't like this preamp here, based on my brief evaluation.

Really curious to hear details from those who did 'upgrade' from a 30SL G2 to a 30SS.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Really curious to hear details from those who did 'upgrade' from a 30SL G2 to a 30SS.

what is the difference between the two preamps and was the upgrade done to the old preamp or did you just have to buy the new preamp

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You cannot upgrade. Although the two share the same SHHA2 amplification modules and probably lots of other things, the 30SS incorporates an ultra-expensive custom volume pot (aka Super Fader), plus new power supply (the so-called floating power supply from the SDR-4000 CD player), so upgrades are not possible. But the negative comments from some of the people are intriguing to say the least, and I personally have not been overwhelmed - certainly no miracle. Interestingly enough, I was recently asked by a dealer if I have listened to a recent 30SS, as if something has changed.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
No my model is retired, but a steal at around $5000-$6000 used, if you can find it - probably from a dealer, since some of these owners are upgrading to the 30SS. List was $9000 and the new one is $10000. I've heard rumors of a megabuck preamp from them, but: a) megabuck is not what they usually do; b) some products that were rumored and even demoed before, like the DMC-25 phono preamp, never materialized (or at least, haven't materialized the last 7+ years).

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My SDR-2000 DAC, like most of them, eventually failed because of heat as well - both the power supply and the main unit. In fact, one of the sorbothane feet under it melted before the main unit did...

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This thread surprises me because I always thought that Spectral had two of the greatest SS designers (Rick Fryer and KOJ) and I don't understand why they wouldn't have accounted for the heat load of their designs. Very surprising.

Mark

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Rick is not a designer, but KOJ is a truly phenomenal engineer in my book, but it goes to show that no one's perfect, or they have chosen to compromise by making sealed boxes with no vents - not that vented boxes do not pose their own compromises. I currently use a fan over my preamp because the SHHA2 modules give off a LOT of heat as well, and the 360's run way too hot too for my liking. All my gear has plenty of breathing room. With respect to the 2000, it finally failed despite the fact there is an internal fan in the main unit - I would question its ability to achieve anything considering that the box is still sealed. Perhaps it failed after 10 yrs and not sooner exactly because of the internal fan??? Still, I think they can improve on this design, with perhaps some vent on the bottom of the box and filters can be employed to stave off dust.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi ack,

I had the same experience with my Spectral dac. I was advised to keep it on as it sounds better when warm. But the unit ran hot enough to melt one of it's rubber foots.

As for the DMC 30SS, I listened from the DMC 30 to the DMC 30S to the DMC 30SL before settling on the DMC 30SS. First thing I noticed when using the DMC 30SS is that the volume control always have to be above the 60% mark to have enough gain. I have mated it with the Lamm M1.1, Spectral DMA 360 second generation, and the Forsell amplifiers. I hear a lot of what I thought was ambience of the soundstage aside from one of the biggest sound stages populated with life-size musicians. I have also discovered that one can further improve the resolution, the liquidity of the sound, and smooth out the any remaining rough edges by running another Spectral preamp ahead of it. My chain ran cd player into DMC 20 series 2, then interconnect from the Spectral DMC 20 main balanced output into balanced input of the DMC 30SS, lastly, DMC 30SS main balance output into the power amp. I adjust volume from both the DMC 20 and DMC 30SS.

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Wow, I have to admit this is the wackiest set-up I have ever seen, especially because I had the DMC-20 Series 2 as well and thought it had a completely different sound than the -30 series preamps. I consider the 2000/20 DAC/preamp sound actually nothing like the new gen electronics (4000/30 series), with the former offering a vast but diffuse soundstage, while the -30 with newer amps and sources actually still have the same huge but very well defined soundstage. So I cannot even imagine what your two-preamp combo sounds like, but feel free to elaborate.

On the 300SS gain, I think this is its Achille's heel. Interestingly enough, I just bought this fantastic Sheffield Labs CD of the huge 700-lb O-Daiko drums and have to play them at max level with my 30-SL Gen 2 in order to get a sizable image and impact, because the recording is apparently set too low in order to capture the entire 96dB dynamic range??? BTW, the reproduced sound of an O-Daiko drum is just ravishing and so realistic! I strongly recommend this CD for system testing.

Last edited:

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi ack,

I suggest you borrow a second Spectral preamp or any other brand to try out two preamps/linestages in series. In my experiences, there was an increased detail retrieval and specially in digital sources, a smoothing out of the digital edginess.

I have heard that for those who want more gain in their DMC 30 SS, the factory is willing modify the gain structure. Theoretically, increasing the gain will also increase the noise level.

May I ask for the title of the Sheffield Labs CD of the huge 700-lb O-Daiko drums?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sorry to disagree with you, but I find the '20 so veiled over the 30SL/G2 that I don't think I will attempt anything like this chaining. Here's the link to the CD, and because it's recorded at a low volume I need to run at max volume to get a realistic image and impact; I won't be surprised if the 30SS runs out of gain. Let me know how you like track 2.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
No problem at all. But I just want to clarify that I am not asking you to chain a DMC 30 and a DMC 20. Thanks for the link to the cd. I will look for it if I have time in my next travel.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice. Contrast this with my 30-SL G2 (same amplification modules as the SS).

Attachments

• DMC-30SL..JPG
    DMC-30SL..JPG
    360.4 KB · Views: 4,222

kee

Sep 15, 2010
Did anyone here tried the 30SS with other interconnects then MIT?

Spectral or MIT interconnects is only needed if you use the dmc-30ss with spectral power amp.

I did a home trial of the dmc-30ss. Paired up the dmc-30ss with my YBA Passion 1000 power amp. Interconnect used was Audience Au24e. The dmc-30ss was more transparent sounding and more dynamic than my yba 1a pre. The mid range had got more body and the bass had got more slam & incisive. Timing was super. On the other hand, full YBA sounded more airy (typical strength of full YBA). The system also sounded more balance with the full YBA, which was not surprising since it should have better synergy. I just placed the order for the dmc-30ss and I might get the dma-260 and spectral interconnect & speaker cables eventually.

My current setup
YBA CD1 delta Special CDP
YBA 1 alpha Pre-Amp
YBA Passion 1000 Stereo Power Amp
Avalon Indra Speaker
Audience power cord e, Au24e I/C, Au24e Spk cable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing