Axpona New York

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Anyone planning to drop by the show across from Penn Station this coming Friday and Sat.?

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Anyone planning to drop by the show across from Penn Station this coming Friday and Sat.?

No, sorry, Myles :( We'll have to experience it, vicariously...you're going -- right :confused:

Best,
Sam

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I'm going but I don't expect to see much of interest. Seems like it was put together last minute.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm going but I don't expect to see much of interest. Seems like it was put together last minute.

Yes, it's really a prequel for next year. There will be a few stores there like Woodbridge, etc. and a few companies, but not a whole lot of interest. This event was just added onto the CES event and think next year it will be on its own :)

BTW, is that the Voorhees listed located in S. Jersey or the one around Clinton? If the latter, grew up in that area :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I will go on Saturday... It's a long time I haven't been to an audioshow, so, whichever the quality will be, I guess I'll have some fun.

If nothing else, get to meet some other fellow audiophiles and chat! :)

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
If nothing else, get to meet some other fellow audiophiles and chat! :)

Miles,

I'm sorry I missed this latest message from you, so I didn't contact to organize a WBF meeting at the show :(
Hope you managed to meet some forumers and you guys had fun :)

I have to say this show wasn't that bad. Probably the only really negative note was the $25 cover to enter: don't know, in Italy these events are usually free and way larger... :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's been some pretty nice listening. I'm thinking about the rooms with the Esoteric-Pass-Kef setup or the VPI-Levinson-Revel system. The TAD system sounded great, as well as the MBL room :D Also, I liked a lot a speaker system that I had never heard or known before, I'll try to recollect my information later... I've not been impressed by the room with those exagerated (in every sense) power amps worth 175k each :)eek:), despite we enjoyed a nice violin live concert there.
Unfortunately a combination of room shape plus probably not the most exciting setup made me not catched by the Channel D room, where the "little" Playback Designs DAC was in action. Honestly I would have liked to listen to some vinyl through Pure Vinyl, but when I visited the room the beautiful Artemis Lab table was in static exposure. A nice mention to the Steinway-Lyngdorf room, with a tiny and (I guess) reasonably priced system that would eliminate all the limitations in living in a studio in Manhattan...

The funniest thing was visiting the rooms with my girlfriend, who, for each room, expressed concerns about the visual impact of the speakers :D As we entered the MBL room she turned to me with a scared face, saying "these ones, NO!". Then I explained her that I would never afford them... ;)
But I've been pleasantly surprised we agreed a lot on our performance impressions regarding the setups, while I totally failed in trying to explain her that a VPI HR-X can be also a stunning piece of furniture :D

I've been pleasantly impressed by the courtesy of all the exhibitors. We spent nice time chatting with the newest NY TAD distrubutor and with the chief editor of Film Festival Traveler, Brad Balfour.

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Miles,

I'm sorry I missed this latest message from you, so I didn't contact to organize a WBF meeting at the show :(
Hope you managed to meet some forumers and you guys had fun :)

I have to say this show wasn't that bad. Probably the only really negative note was the $25 cover to enter: don't know, in Italy these events are usually free and way larger... :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's been some pretty nice listening. I'm thinking about the rooms with the Esoteric-Pass-Kef setup or the VPI-Levinson-Revel system. The TAD system sounded great, as well as the MBL room :D Also, I liked a lot a speaker system that I had never heard or known before, I'll try to recollect my information later... I've not been impressed by the room with those exagerated (in every sense) power amps worth 175k each :)eek:), despite we enjoyed a nice violin live concert there.
Unfortunately a combination of room shape plus probably not the most exciting setup made me not catched by the Channel D room, where the "little" Playback Designs DAC was in action. Honestly I would have liked to listen to some vinyl through Pure Vinyl, but when I visited the room the beautiful dps table was in static exposure. A nice mention to the Steinway-Lyngdorf room, with a tiny and (I guess) reasonably priced system that would eliminate all the limitations in living in a studio in Manhattan...

The funniest thing was visiting the rooms with my girlfriend, who, for each room, expressed concerns about the visual impact of the speakers :D As we entered the MBL room she turned to me with a scared face, saying "these ones, NO!". Then I explained her that I would never afford them... ;)
But I've been pleasantly surprised we agreed a lot on our performance impressions regarding the setups, while I totally failed in trying to explain her that a VPI HR-X can be also a stunning piece of furniture :D

I've been pleasantly impressed by the courtesy of all the exhibitors. We spent nice time chatting with the newest NY TAD distrubutor and with the chief editor of Film Festival Traveler, Brad Balfour.

docvale,

It seems you had a wonderful time...I'm glad you enjoyed AXPONA with your gf :cool:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Oh no. It is just that my life is too full for vinyl as it has a relatively low priority for me. These days, I buy vinyl more frequently than I play it.

Still, it was not surprising to run into Myles as he was poring over the vinyl bins.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Oh no. It is just that my life is too full for vinyl as it has a relatively low priority for me. These days, I buy vinyl more frequently than I play it.

Still, it was not surprising to run into Myles as he was poring over the vinyl bins.

Yeah but I had it all already :) :(

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
... Also, I liked a lot a speaker system that I had never heard or known before, I'll try to recollect my information later...

An auto-quote as an addendum.
The speakers I was referring to are the Linkwitz Orion-4, which sounded really good powered by Bryston amps and MSB DAC :)

Collectively, even the most conservative audiophiles have to admit that computer-based music is now more and more predominant. Only the High-End Palace room (Stahl-Tek source) and one of the two Woodbridge Audio rooms (the Levison one) used CD as a source.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing