Audioguy HT and 2 Channel Room (Combined)

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I've got 12K+ albums on my server already. Dirac Live on a server only gets you part of the way to the final destination. It isn't a substitute for a SSP.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I've got 12K+ albums on my server already. Dirac Live on a server only gets you part of the way to the final destination. It isn't a substitute for a SSP.

For me it is, but I only play MCH material in natively with no post processing.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
But what are you doing for HT?

I use a multi media server running 6 channels audio from a soundcard into a stack of 3 stereo dacs, and play video from the same server into my projector. Works like a charm. I can spin BR discs in my server (which I never do), or rip them to harddrive first. The server runs Dirac live for DRC. Works like a charm.

If you only need six channels, the most cost effective way to get world class sound is a multi media server with Dirac Live into an Exasound MCH Dac.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Chuck, if I ever get around to upgrading my SSP to the Datasat I'm going to have you fly back out to the Bay Area and help me to set it up. Maybe I'll get Nyal to drive across the bay and join us. I'll pour the tequilla, sit back and watch the two of you go at it.:)

Great idea. But if you expect it to sound anything but like a Bose system, the Tequila should come AFTER the calibration.

Improvements in audio, at some point, are stupid expensive. A $150,000 speaker is not 30 times better than a $5000 speaker. The Datasat is like that. An MSRP of about $23,000 for the RS20i is stupid expensive and it is not 10 times better than what it replaced. BUT of all of the electronic audio thingies I have purchased in the last 40 years, it easily offer the most improvement over what it replaced ---- for whatever that is worth!!

(Just don't let your kids go to college!)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I use a multi media server running 6 channels audio from a soundcard into a stack of 3 stereo dacs, and play video from the same server into my projector. Works like a charm. I can spin BR discs in my server (which I never do), or rip them to harddrive first. The server runs Dirac live for DRC. Works like a charm.

If you only need six channels, the most cost effective way to get world class sound is a multi media server with Dirac Live into an Exasound MCH Dac.

The improvement from going to 7.1 over 5.1 pales in comparison to adding height speakers - for music and movies. For non-studio (but indoor) music recordings, height speakers add that 3rd dimension that massively improves, in my opinion, the realism of the listening experience. For studio recordings, even those that don't have a lot of reverb added (hence, fairly dry), I still prefer what listening to 11.1 does vs 2.1. And the Datasat makes those 11 speakers all but disappear.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The improvement from going to 7.1 over 5.1 pales in comparison to adding height speakers - for music and movies. For non-studio (but indoor) music recordings, height speakers add that 3rd dimension that massively improves, in my opinion, the realism of the listening experience. For studio recordings, even those that don't have a lot of reverb added (hence, fairly dry), I still prefer what listening to 11.1 does vs 2.1. And the Datasat makes those 11 speakers all but disappear.

My room is too small for 7.1. The two additional surrounds would be too close to me. Besides, my MCH critical listening is SACD and concert dvd, all native 5.1. Not sure postprocessing to create the extra channels would be a great idea.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My room is too small for 7.1. The two additional surrounds would be too close to me. Besides, my MCH critical listening is SACD and concert dvd, all native 5.1. Not sure postprocessing to create the extra channels would be a great idea.

Concert Blurays are AWESOME with height channels. I also have some multi-channel DVD-A's that are improved by using the ceiling channels.

Since you are in Smyrna (the home of Julia Roberts), let me find out if Atlanta Home Theater has their Atmos card installed on their Datasat/Wisdom system. If they do, I will let you know and then go make an appointment, take your own music and listen for yourself. (You will have to ignore the bass as they have it boosted some for home theater demos).

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Concert Blurays are AWESOME with height channels. I also have some multi-channel DVD-A's that are improved by using the ceiling channels.

Since you are in Smyrna (the home of Julia Roberts), let me find out if Atlanta Home Theater has their Atmos card installed on their Datasat/Wisdom system. If they do, I will let you know and then go make an appointment, take your own music and listen for yourself. (You will have to ignore the bass as they have it boosted some for home theater demos).

Sure. PM me if you find out more. Keep in mind though this is strictly curiousity, since making the 5 figure investement to overhaul my system is not in the cards at the moment.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I tried to edit the first post but was not given the option???

Some equipment changes [highlighted in red]:

VIDEO EQUIPMENT: JVC RS500 w/ Powered Panamorph Anamorphic Lens and sled; Screen Masking System by Carada; Seymour Acoustically Transparent 2:35 120 x 51 inch screen (1.0 Gain - XD Material);

SPEAKERS: LCR: Triad Platinum LCR's; SUBS: (4) Seaton F18's [hidden in front corner columns]; (2) Seaton SubMersives in rear of room; Surrounds: Triad Silver InRoom Monitors; (4) Tannoy Di6 DC heights (Atmos/Auro)

ELECTRONICS: Datasat RS20i Surround Processor; APS 2000 Power Conditioner; Emotive XPA-5 driving the 4 ceiling speakers; d-sonic 7 channel amp (800 x 3 and 400 x 4); Control4 Controller

SOURCES: Music Vault Diamond Music Server (J River and J Remote for controlling my music server); Kaleidescape Alto Movie Server; DirecTV DVR; Apple TV; Amazon

ROOM STUFF: Theater chairs by Berkline; Room design and all acoustic treatment by AcousticSolutions, LLC & GIK

MISCELLANEOUS: BlueJeans Cables (XLR and Single Ended) and Speaker Wire

Also some new photos follow:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Some time ago (near the beginning of 2016) a new decision was made on the amount of time that we can edit our posts; due to some posts deleting among few in the audiophile community. And it was causing some disruption, breaking the natural flow of the discussions.
Without going into the specifics, best to read this (only 22 short posts) ? http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...e-been-removed&p=369906&viewfull=1#post369906

* If you contact Steve by PM he can help you out personally, as mentioned in the above link.

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bob, thanks for the link.

I still find this very odd. I am sure other forums have had disruptive members but they have not penalized everyone else to solve the problem of a few. Oh well. There are many larger problems in the Universe to solve more so than this one .....

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Chuck, I agree with you.

If I [strike]happened[/strike] happen* to read an older thread, and that one of my posts I accidentally stumbled across with a typo or two in it; I'd like to correct them.
This is only my personal opinion; I am not trying to dictate anyone on how is the best way to proceed. I do understand some of the difficulty encountered in the past.

You still have the option to edit your first original post with new additional components to your sound system by contacting Steve by PM.

Stay well,

* happen: https://www.englishforums.com/English/HappenOrHappened/qbllk/post.htm

Last edited:

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
How are you liking the RS500? Did you use the autodial software or calibrate manually?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
How are you liking the RS500? Did you use the autodial software or calibrate manually?

ABSOLUTELY love it. Bright, punchy, clear, clean. I came from the Sony 600ES and was not expecting much difference. But am more than pleasantly surprised. I did some manual calibration using the AVS Forum disc but it was a good picture right out of the box. Just adjusted contrast and brightness. I will wait until I have a few more hours before considering having it calibrated.

I saw a direct comparison between this projector (NOT calibrated) and the new Sony 675ES put on by Sony at the most recent CEDIA. Sony was trying to demonstrate why REAL 4K was better than FAUX (e-shift) 4K on the JVC. The demo convinced me NOT to buy the Sony which is what I planned to do. Other than some test patterns that Sony developed to show the differences (which it did), on real content standing right next to the screen there was no differences at all. NONE. And given that the MSRP of the JVC is about 1/2 of that of the Sony, it was a no brainer.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Just completed a cosmetic face lift of my room. I changed none of the room treatment but covered everything in black GOM to make it look less like a recording studio. Clearly improves the perceived contrast from the projector and loves the "feel" it provides when listening to music:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing